93-96 Supras - anyone got an opinion on these?

sl114

Turbo problems leading to other problems leading to sh*t loads of money being thrown at them! Best bit of advice iwhen modding one is ditch the twin turbos & go for one large turbo, seems to be the route with most twin turbo jap- mobiles these days.

Turbo problems leading to other problems leading to sh*t loads of money being thrown at them! Best bit of advice iwhen modding one is ditch the twin turbos & go for one large turbo, seems to be the route with most twin turbo jap- mobiles these days.
Thats cool, dude where in herts are you?

Im in Potters Bar at the minute and i saw an Orange 350z in St Albans on Friday night, was it you?

I am thinking of getting a supra as a project but not too sure about it at the moment.

Does anyone have or have had one that they have done up and worked on?

What was your experience on it?

Whats your budget?

At the moment about £6-£8k

I am thinking of getting a supra as a project but not too sure about it at the moment.

Whats your budget?

Why not spend it on the zed? :blush:

Whats your budget?

Should get you a nice one, can be a money pit though, I had a GTO similar thing, nice when there OK , a bloody nightmare when there not :blush:

I was tempted to get a Supra TT as my daily car last year but I was told by owners about the poor running costs such as single figure MPG :scare: They are stunning cars but from what ive heard are very expensive to maintain & tune

Im in Potters Bar at the minute and i saw an Orange 350z in St Albans on Friday night, was it you?

Im in Bushey near Stanmore. I dont usually get down to St Albans, only as far as Watford, Radlett, London Colney! :thumbs:

Im in Bushey near Stanmore. I dont usually get down to St Albans, only as far as Watford, Radlett, London Colney! :thumbs:

I know Bushey, was looking at some apartments there but decided against it as they were too far from the train line to get me to work.

I used to live in Shenley until 2 months ago when i split with my fiance, now im in Potters Bar but moving to Borehamwood the first week in December.

If i see you around i will flash (my lights, not my bum :D)

Hi ive had 3 supras 2 of them were turbos .

i had no major problems at all with any of them :thumbs:

. the last one i had was a 94 imported model i ran IT for 2 years as a every day car . i only sold it to help pay for the 350z .

As for moding i would look for a stanard car and then carry out the mods your self as there is a lot out there that people had just stuck all sorts of crap extras on and it will kill the car even with them being tough as boots.

For big power outputs then go for single large turbo

For good every day power go for uprated twin turbos

Hi ive had 3 supras 2 of them were turbos .

i had no major problems at all with any of them :thumbs:

. the last one i had was a 94 imported model i ran IT for 2 years as a every day car . i only sold it to help pay for the 350z .

As for moding i would look for a stanard car and then carry out the mods your self as there is a lot out there that people had just stuck all sorts of crap extras on and it will kill the car even with them being tough as boots.

For big power outputs then go for single large turbo

For good every day power go for uprated twin turbos

This seems to be the norm from what i have seen, Big Single Turbo, standard car then mod yourself and style B)

Thanks for the info dude

• 4 weeks later...

can I ask if that is based on personal experience? I was in teh supra scene for a few years with an mk4 and there were never ANY single failures appart from on **** poorly modded Jap imports (ceramic impellers).

Also the only supras that ever had problems were the MK3's that used to blow head gaskets for fun.

Supra huh ? Ok, I've been a member of Uk Supra Owners Club for over ten years. I'm a car dealer so I've had literally dozens of them, perhaps as many as 50.

They are bullet proof mechanically unless they have been messed around with, so buy a standard one.

The build quality is first rate, much better than Nissan :scare:

The Twin Turbo is a rapid motor car even in standard trim and would out pace a 350z, but if you were to remove the cats you gain an extra 30bhp straight away. You will need a Fuel Cut Defender which is about £70 because the ECU is set to cut the fuel when the boost hits 14 psi - standard is 11 psi and it will hit 14 psi with the cats removed.

From here you can increase the boost and the standard Turbos habe been run up to 21 psi by some group members, although you are putting them under additional strain and shortening their lifespan. But here you are looking at close on 400 bhp with minimal expense.

From here many people take the big single route for even more BHP but you are now driving a car which is slower in poor conditions than a standard one because its such a handful so you need to ask yourself what you really want from the car.

I wouldnt bother with a none Turbo unless you are going to put a big Single on straight away - a conversion which is becoming more popular because none turbo models are so cheap. Make sure the conversion is done properly, the compression must be lowered etc. Turbofiit.co.uk have done several for group members and know their way around Supras. They even drag race one of their own big single conversions.

As usual with imports watch out for back street accident repairs in Japan and low grade paintwork.

In many ways the Supra is a better car than the 350z, but then it was getting on for twice the price when new, so thats to be expected. Only age goes against them now and really good ones are getting hard to find.

Manuals are quite rare and always command a premium, but sell easier when you want a change.

Highly recommended !

If you need more info just mail me.

HTH