Random headlight questions! Weird one...?

Daze

Hey all,

Got a bit of a weird one here, still fairly new to Z ownership to bare with me.

Firstly, on occasion, seems to only be when on main-beam, the headlights sometimes seem to have a mind of their own? Driving down a country road with main-beams on, they sometimes seem to illuminate brighter and in different areas at random?? Really quite weird. I've also noticed it sometimes when parking, almost like an extra light or 2 illuminates for a few seconds? :lol: weird!

Second question, I notice that on the headlights there is an orange streak on the side which looks great, and toward the top there is, what appears to be, several LED's (about 4 or 5..) which I would presume would light-up orange?... Like this?

32251640012_large.jpg

But mine do not light up :dry: Any ideas? Is it a different headlight/model, or a simple mod that you can do, etc? I like the orange bits!

Thanks! :D

Judging from your previous posts you have the pre-facelift regular xenons which do not have the LEDs. I'm not sure what you mean by the extra illumination though. :wacko:

Ah, I do indeed have a pre-facelift. Ohhh bummer, really? Are the headlights interchangeable between pre-facelift & facelift?

Thanks for the reply, haha. Indeed an odd one with the lights. I might see if I can get some video of it in action! :dry:

Are the headlights interchangeable between pre-facelift & facelift?

Yeah, straight swap, if you've got a spare 3 grand or so :scare: . A more common mod is to fit the facelift rear leds onto pre facelift models.

Pete

Hey all thanks for all the replies. Bummer that the prefacelift headlights don't have those little LED's lighting up. (Don't shoot me) but on new BMW's I find they're headlights do that, and I think it looks really great.

I really like the OEM look, so it would be orange LED's I'd want/fit, rather than white or blue :headhurt:

So Paul, you used to customise headlights? I found a couple of threads by a Google search of your work, impressed! If you are not doing it any more then I understand, but is there any chance of a "rough" how-to guide from yourself? :lol: I'd like to have a crack at doing this myself!

Thanks everyone! :thumbs:

Hey all,

Done loads more searching about today and getting more & more tempted to remove my headlights and start having a play... :dry:

Just found these pictures! eeeexactly what I want!

Niss350Z_yr20045_HID_retro_pic36_P.jpg

Niss350Z_yr20045_HID_retro_pic35_P.jpg

And, I do believe, a pre-06 headlight!?

Starting to wonder if this is an american 350z thing only? That would explain why the above pictures look so "stock" (un-modified) and why it looks like our cars (well mine at least) has bubs/LED's in the headlights in that orange strip, yet don't light up.

I'm betting, if that is the case, it would be quite simple to wire up!! Headlights might have to come out! Driving me mad, been searching for hours now! :headhurt:

Husky has done some work in this area ............. it involves opening up the headlights in an oven ........ a job that can easily go wrong :scare:

Hmmm yeh, so I've read :dry:

Might get stuck into the wiring diagrams tomorrow, see what I can find. I'd like to see a photo of a completely stock american 350z at night with the lights on... :lol:

The American headlights do indeed have a bulb under the orange strip at the top, the opening under the strip is there on our spec light but would need a custom mount made to house a bulb or led , this would requiring opening up the headlights, I've found the best way to open them is using a heat gun on a medium setting and take your time going round the outer seam heating up the bonding and eventually you will be able to separate the two halfs.

Hope this helps

Paul

The American headlights do indeed have a bulb under the orange strip at the top, the opening under the strip is there on our spec light but would need a custom mount made to house a bulb or led , this would requiring opening up the headlights, I've found the best way to open them is using a heat gun on a medium setting and take your time going round the outer seam heating up the bonding and eventually you will be able to separate the two halfs.

Hope this helps

Paul

Very informative Paul, thanks so much for clearing that up. Damn, why does american cars always get it good! :dry:

I am beginning to wonder two things now..

1, Get american headlights, sell mine? Shouldn't be too much out of pocket here, but worth it? would US headlights be legal/OK over here?

2, Search deep into Nissan's part numbers, buy said parts? Split my headlights apart, retro-fit, done

Hmmmmm all for a little orange light :lol:

American headlights are pointing the opposite way to ours as they are LHD. You would either have to apply beam benders (the little stickers that cut off part of your beam), or modify the cutoff yourself.

I think your best bet is to wait until a set of facelift bi-xenons become available, as they have the little strip of LEDs and have much, much better light output from the projectors. The pre facelift headlights are like going back in time to my old Audi S3 in terms of xenon lighting; can't see s**t!