Brake Discs - Drilled/Slotted Experiences

Demolition49

So i need to get some new brake discs and after considering the drilled brembo upgrades ive been advised by more than one to stay away as the drilled discs crack easily, which sucks because i love the look of the drilled discs!

Everybody seems to reccommend the slotted dba discs for the Z.

Are there no other discs that have a nice look such as dimples and slots? kind of like these dba discs:

product_photo-large_image-767.jpg

Id really like some discs which offer both performance and those kind of looks :teeth:

I don't quite understand why people say avoid drilled discs as i see so many older porches and other performance cars with drilled discs which are fine?

I would of thought for road use its fine? Also if they are casted like that and not just drilled from a reputable manufacturer they will be fine? But i must be missing somthing as the general concencus seems to be otherwise.

If anybody has run some on thier z id love to know how they run and your experience of them! I mean any make of drilled or slotted not just the dba or brembo sports.

Thanks

My understanding is that under heavy use the expansion and contraction as the disks warms and cools can cause stress fractures round Drilled holes. If you look at manufacturers sites you tend to find the slotted are recommend for track but the drilled are not.

I imagine the temeperatures achieved in normal road use are not as likly to cause this problem so pretty "drilled" discs can be used.

If you like the look but dont want to worry about cracks some manufacturers off "dimpled" discs where the hole isnt drilled through - cant remember who though. :bangin:

Cant say what drilled discs are like on the z yet as ive not fitted any. But ive had cross drilled and groved on nearly all my previous cars and not had any problems with them cracking. Granted, ive not taken them around tracks or mega abused them. But they have had some serious braking done, as well as daily use on the roads.

If drilled disc's crack, why do Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, Merc et al use them????

they use better quality discs like porcshe ones are cast and are hefty beasts. Most after market (not all) are cheaper and not made aswell. when drilled they lose that little bit of strength that they had.

If drilled disc's crack, why do Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, Merc et al use them????

they use better quality discs like porcshe ones are cast and are hefty beasts. Most after market (not all) are cheaper and not made aswell. when drilled they lose the little bit of strength that they had.

I put Brembo drilled discs on my zed (which Paul T subsequently bought) and had no problems with them.

I'd suggest the problem is more with the brand than whether they are drilled or slotted............

Even porsche drilled disc crack with heavy track use but less so as they are quality disc. Long and short of the matter is you get what you pay for but i will think that the PF, DBA, stoptech or brembo GT rotors will be ok for normal DD and fast road use and short trackday stints.

but TBH, I will spend my money on PF 01 pads or similar race compounds(if you can stand the dust and squeal), braided lines, Dot 5-1 fluid and OEM brembo disc, even brake stiffner and get the optimum perforance you can get out of OEM size discs at way less cost.

OEM size Slots, drilled dimpled disc etc from above manufacturers will make little difference compared to the outlay. The 2-piece lighter disc will be marginally better but price?!!! It comes all down to the swept area by the pistons and total SA for heat dissipation amongst other things and you are not really changing these variable by getting fancy discs ;) But if look is your thing then feel free..................

It seems whoever ive asked inc abbey and zman i should avoid drilled discs... and with google to confirm drilled are susceptible to cracking even the good makes id rather play it safe.

Who am I to argue with Google, but your missing the point.

Cheap drilled discs > I'd avoid too. In fact, cheap anything, I'd avoid.

Do you really think premium (Lambo and Ferrari) brands can charge £10k for Carbon Ceramics and afford to have the discs crack??

I'm sure Abbey and Zmanalex would advise you to steer clear of cheapo slotted discs or Nankang tyres also.......

Im not 100% on ferrari or lambo sarnie but all im saying is drilled discs are more susceptible to cracking even the good brands, probably less so than normal though!

If i could find some drilled discs for the Z with good ratings id go for them! How were your drilled brembos on the Z by the way sarnie?

Ive settled for PF dimpled up front and DBA on rears, goodridge lines, ferodo pads and to top it rbf 660 fluid combined with veredestien's ... Cant wait for them to be fitted thursday!

they use better quality discs like porcshe ones are cast and are hefty beasts. Most after market (not all) are cheaper and not made aswell. when drilled they lose the little bit of strength that they had.

I put Brembo drilled discs on my zed (which Paul T subsequently bought) and had no problems with them.

I'd suggest the problem is more with the brand than whether they are drilled or slotted............

Yes see the brembo's are good stuff. Most discs are the cheaper end like ebc and the likes as they look cool they will sell.

Ive never seen even crappy non drilled or grooved stuff crack.

I had some dimpled brakes on the rear of my 172, the rear does only 5% of the braking and they cracked.

Bullshit.

Sorry but if drilled discs were more susceptible then you would see the premium manufactures reverting to slotted discs and not drilled.

My drilled Brembo discs were fine and I never heard Paul complain about them cracking after he bought the car.......

If Porsche et al put drilled discs on their cars then thats good enough for a zed.......

Brembos lasted one track day...ebc turbo grooved 2, dba 4100 6 ring laps and a wet track day and they cracked.

Dixcels were very very good and pf the best so far with the racing compound pads. Still got them at the front and still got the dixcels at the back. Lasted for ages and I am utterly happy with them...

At donington 888s overheated before the brakes and at cadwell they brakes started feeling weak after over 10 very hard laps...almost at the same time as the tyres.

At donington 888s overheated before the brakes and at cadwell they brakes started feeling weak after over 10 very hard laps...almost at the same time as the tyres.

For me the R888's wilted and went mushy a long time before my performance friction front disks and DS2500 pads gave any signs of fade. I actually think that the front standard Brembo 4 pots are quite good - and that sorting the discs and pads are half the battle.

Ive settled for PF dimpled up front and DBA on rears, goodridge lines, ferodo pads and to top it rbf 660 fluid ... Cant wait for them to be fitted thursday!

Great choice Josh. :clap::clap::clap:

Shipping Monday :yahoo:

You will not be disappointed mate :thumbs:

Alex :)

No need for bad language.

Are you stupid or blind? I'm saying cheap drilled discs bad higher end stuff good. Research it put drilled discs into google and look at how many people have had drilled discs cracked. Mine cracked a while back abd they where only dimpled, but the where ktec ones.

Bullshit.

Sorry but if drilled discs were more susceptible then you would see the premium manufactures reverting to slotted discs and not drilled.

My drilled Brembo discs were fine and I never heard Paul complain about them cracking after he bought the car.......

If Porsche et al put drilled discs on their cars then thats good enough for a zed.......

Even the branded brembos drilled ive heard bad things about im

Not going to name drop but its from somebody in the know.

I stick by my sttement that drilled discs are more susceptible to cracking!

Many higher performance brakes have holes drilled through them. This is known as cross-drilling and was originally done in the 1960s on racing cars. For heat dissipation purposes, cross drilling is still used on some braking components, but is not favored for racing or other hard use as the holes are a source of stress cracks under severe conditions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_brake