Advice Relating to Parking Fines

geoff-r

Right, I would appreciate some advice please. Back in October I sold a car to a friend of an acquaintance of my brother. He doesn't really have any contact with the guy anymore but to cut a long story short I sold the car and handed over the V5. Quite a stupid idea but as the guy was a part time car dealer and in the trade he said he would sort it out and send it off and I thought nothing of it. Hindsight taught me otherwise so please don't ridicule me for this.

Anyway about a month ago I got the tax renewal letter through my door. I quickly drafted a letter to the DVLA to state I didn't own the car anymore, they wrote back confirming that I was no longer the registered owner so no problem there. About 2 weeks ago I got 2 parking tickets from Glasgow City Council. I've never been to Glasgow, never actually been to Scotland, have no links to the area so I was a bit shocked. Anyways these relate to the car I sold, it must have gone up north. I wrote back to Glasgow Council stating I didn't own the car and hoped that would be the end of it.

Turns out it wasn't the end of it, they sent a letter back stating that they needed a copy of the invoice for the sale of the car, of which I don't have as the car was 1.5k and I really didn't have the time to mess around with that, there's hindsight again for you, totally bastard :lol: so if they don't get a copy invoice they'll take me to court.

I'm worried as to what else will come through the post now.

So in short, what would you guys do from previous experience (other than not hand over a V5)? Cheers :thumbs:

if the fines were before the notification you gave the dvla that you no longer had the car then you will find it hard to prove it wasnt you. did you tell dvla the actual date you sold the car or did they register it from the day you phoned them that you was no longer the owner.? :unsure:

Cant see them taking you to court, it costs them more than what your fines are worth. It may have an impact on other areas though, as they are good at getting you on the lists of none payment etc. Has stated, send them the DVLA letter. Why not go and see the chap who bought the car and ask him what hes playing at?

Thanks for the replies guys. Bit of info in my letter to the council I didn't state I handed over the v5 to the guy who bought it, I just stated I was notified that the change of ownership had not happened. In this case am I best of playing stupid and stating the dvla must have lost the notification? I can in a sense prove where I was on the days as I was in work, the finance director and MD would be able to state this. I even have letters regarding insurance change not that means a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Little update for anyone that cares or wants to know how to deal with this in the future. I called the DVLA about a week ago to explain the problem they advised I write a letter to them and fax it over explaining the situation. I also wrote to Glasgow Council to advise the DVLA were investigating so no further action was taken. This morning I got a letter in the post from the DVLA stating that their records had been amended to show I was not the registered keeper from 9th October 2010 onwards, result :yahoo:

So lesson learnt, always complete and send off your own V5 :)

Also, visit Scotland.

Edinburgh's great for drinking and all up and down the west coast are superb roads for driving :thumbs:

+1 on Edinburgh. Ive been there a few times now and its an awesome place. Im actually off there next Wednesday, although wont be taking the zed... wouldnt fit on the plane as hand luggage.