"self-adjusting" ECU?

ir_fuel

I just have some questions concerning some stuff posted about this on the forum

Could someone please explain me how the Nissan ECU adjusts itself to compensate for extra hp gains done by modifications like a new exhaust line or intake?

And also, I read that putting a Kinetix plenum or spacer does give hp gains, now why wouldnt the ECU compensate for this???

:wacko:

the ECU is the engines brain and its programmed to keep the engine at its most efficient setting.....this is achieved with various sensors around the engine monertering the engines performance... :D so if you was to add air intakes or sooper dooper zorsts it will readjust its self to run at its best with mods.... :teeth:

the ECU is the engines brain and its programmed to keep the engine at its most efficient setting.....this is achieved with various sensors around the engine monertering the engines performance... :D so if you was to add air intakes or sooper dooper zorsts it will readjust its self to run at its best with mods.... :teeth:

Ehm, i am not an idiot, i do know what a ECU does you know :p

Now how do you combine "it will readjust to run at its best" with "it will cancel out any potential performance gains" ???? Coz honestly, I dont understand how it can detect that it needs to "tune down" the engine, and how much it needs to tune down in order to give the stock hp again?

many factors determine the overall bhp..... certainly air intakes are a big restriction as are zorsts.... so wen we change them the ecu will compensate to run the adjustmet.... :thumbs:

But what you are saying is the exact opposite of what i mean :wacko: This should lead to MORE hp, and not cancelling out the potential gains.

Simplisticly speaking: you do some mods giving your more airflow to the engine and a better airflow out of it, basically the engine revving "more freely" and getting more air/oxygen. This could be detected by the ECU so it could inject more fuel leading to more power, but what i read is that the ECU detects this but does something so that this wont happen, to keep the same amount of power no matter what extra flow is generated. My question is, HOW ???

i am not an idiot

Really?

i am not an idiot

Really?

I can't find an emoticon for "Post Whore" - we need one... or perhaps just an emoticon for "Sarnie" as the two are the same :teeth:

many factors determine the overall bhp..... certainly air intakes are a big restriction as are zorsts.... so wen we change them the ecu will compensate to run the adjustmet.... :thumbs:

But what you are saying is the exact opposite of what i mean :wacko: This should lead to MORE hp, and not cancelling out the potential gains.

Simplisticly speaking: you do some mods giving your more airflow to the engine and a better airflow out of it, basically the engine revving "more freely" and getting more air/oxygen. This could be detected by the ECU so it could inject more fuel leading to more power, but what i read is that the ECU detects this but does something so that this wont happen, to keep the same amount of power no matter what extra flow is generated. My question is, HOW ???

It's called "Torque Structure".

The engine calibration is based on an estimated torque structure that basically give you torque o/p for pedal demand i/p.

To get to torque o/p, it measures the airflow from the MAF sensor, the pedal angle, the throttle angle (+ many other sensors), and adjusts the timing and injection quantity to achieve the desired pedal torque.

Also, the Lambda sensors in the exhaust stream are used to help the system with the air/fuel ratio to achieve the optimum power/emmissions (lambda=1).

The one thing that can adapt the performance of the engine is better grade fuel. Higher RON levels will lead to higher capability in-cylinder pressures (knock/self combustion occurs later) and therefore, ignition advance can be adapted to give more power from each cylinder.

Making the car breath easier (i.e. filter/exhaust) may improve economy (and give a might great sound), but you won't really get any power benfits.

Hope that helps.

• 2 years later...