Will non Nissan oil filter affect warranty

Dormars

My Z is about due and oil and filter change,(nearly 7k since last in Feb & winter is coming) obtained both from Amsoil 5-30 fully synth and a filter. Rang dealer to arrange service, informing them I would like them to use my oil and filter not a problem but dealer points out they have had a problem with an engine on another car not a Z but nissan wanted a full set of details on which oil and filters had been fitted at each service.

Dealer is happy to use my stuff no compaints with him, he's just making me aware. I have seen lots of bad stories about Nissan and their wriggle out of it if at all possible warranty.

What do you guys think would Nissan use a better but non Nissan filter to get out of and engine problem?

Should I get in writing from Nissan thats it ok to use my filter before I ask the dealer to fit it?

Legally Nissan can decline warranty repairs if they can link the need for the repair to spurious parts being fitted.

As I said in a previous discussion the dealer can revoke any goodwill towards repairs just outwith the warranty period too.

But to be perfectly honest, what is wrong with just using a Nissan filter? While I have no reason to doubt your mechanics spannerwork, surely if he just used a Nissan filter it would be exactly the same as if a Nissan dealer had carried out the service?

Is the Nissan filter really so much more expensive than the filter he was going to use?

I would worry more about the reason the spurious filter is so much cheaper than the original filter!

Guy's thanks for replys so far, I posted for a couple of reasons I'm happy for the dealer to use Nissan parts but the filter I'm offering (Amsoil EA012) will be better quality than the nissan standard unit.

Equally I guess its a warning to others if you fit non nissan parts even if better than standard they may affect your warranty

I think I will still check with Nissan to get their official position

So a dealer is saying that fitting a superior filter will invalidate the Nissan warranty agreement? (which is of course contrary to European law) The Amsoil filter has been tested in accordance with industry standard ISO 4548-12 of 98.7 percent at 15 microns. Just wondered what the Nissan requirement actually is? B)

Guest prescience
The use of none genuine parts WILL invalidate your warranty.

You cannot be serious. What about oil, different brand tyres, brake pads and the like.

In any warranty claim, the onus is on the dealer to prove that any non-standard (and often, as amsoil implies, superior) part contributed directly to any failure

Two questions.

What makes you so sure your filter will filtrate better than nissans? (Im sure nissan buy in with a rebranding anyway) At the end of the day all a filter is, is a charcoal element. And charcoal is charcoal.

Why not just pay the 6 quid for the nissan one and save all the fuss?

Two questions.

What makes you so sure your filter will filtrate better than nissans? (Im sure nissan buy in with a rebranding anyway) At the end of the day all a filter is, is a charcoal element. And charcoal is charcoal.

Why not just pay the 6 quid for the nissan one and save all the fuss?

I am not aware of any charcoal filters (for cars anyway) but do stand to be corrected here. Filters are genarally formed with paper pleats, or 'synthetic media' as manufacturers like to call them. Totally agree that Nissan filters are likely to be made by a known filter manufacturer with Nissan on the outside, (I guess that even if made by the same manufacturer but without Nissan on it some Nissan dealers would want to invalidate warranties!

Amsoil filters where similar to everyone elses until about 1 year ago. Yes they did better valves better seals double rolled edges but the insides where much the same. They scored top but by just 1% over Mobil filters (Fram lagged well behind).

They have now a new synthetic media which is very simple and very clever. It filters better and allows more oil through so preventing valves opening from pressure differentials. (= unfiltered oil!). Vastly vastly superior to anything else out there. They way its done is shown here https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eao.aspx

I am a believer in these filters (and the oil) we only keep them because we believe they are the very best. If castrol or whoever made something better they we would stock that. ;)

So a dealer is saying that fitting a superior filter will invalidate the Nissan warranty agreement? (which is of course contrary to European law) The Amsoil filter has been tested in accordance with industry standard ISO 4548-12 of 98.7 percent at 15 microns. Just wondered what the Nissan requirement actually is? B)

...that includes Amsoil oil as well - that can affect warranty as well. I was told to change the oil after warranty runs out if you wanted to do it by the book.

G

...that includes Amsoil oil as well - that can affect warranty as well. I was told to change the oil after warranty runs out if you wanted to do it by the book.

G

Now this I know is rubbish as the manual does not state a manufacturer or preference. The only requirement in the manual is the ACEA spec and the weight. And in accordance with EU legislation as long as you meet those requirements the dealer can gt knotted. Sounds to me like a dealer was trying to ensure he has the chance to fleece you get1

I wanted to use my own oil and filter but was told the filter would invalidate my waranty even though thay said it was better than standard,thay did use my oil but wrote on the service book that i had supplied it myself.

max.

I am not aware of any charcoal filters (for cars anyway) but do stand to be corrected here.

Amsoil I shall take your expertise on this. I allways thought a filter was a filter.

To be quite honest, until I got into it and into seriously expensive racing cars so did I! Guess it was the Frams exploding on start up that will never leave my memory.

I somehow get the feeling that many Nissan dealerships could up their game on customer care and service ? Maybe I'm wrong?

I wanted to use my own oil and filter but was told the filter would invalidate my waranty even though thay said it was better than standard,thay did use my oil but wrote on the service book that i had supplied it myself.

max.

Yes out of order. The oil you supplied is better spec than Nissan provide. If they insist that it's written in the book then they should put down the make and type of oil.