Road trip

Rx7Rebel

Okay so im going away with my partner around a bit of europe in the 350 in july.

We plan on heading over on the ferry to calais, then drive down to menton and hang around there for a week ( visit monaco etc) from there we will be shooting over to lake maggiore or garda in italy and hang around there for 4-5 days. From there we will then go up through the alps to switzerland ( the bit im looking forward to the most i think i am going to wet myself on those roads) have a gander at the matterhorn and then home in time for tea and crumpets, without detours and other such excursions its estimated to be about 2000 miles or so needless to say i will be piling on some heavy miles this summer :D

The main reason for this post is ive never done such a long trek before and any traveling tips/advice for driving around europe would be most welcome for our road trip holiday

cheers

John

Okay so im going away with my partner around a bit of europe in the 350 in july.

We plan on heading over on the ferry to calais, then drive down to menton and hang around there for a week ( visit monaco etc) from there we will be shooting over to lake maggiore or garda in italy and hang around there for 4-5 days. From there we will then go up through the alps to switzerland ( the bit im looking forward to the most i think i am going to wet myself on those roads) have a gander at the matterhorn and then home in time for tea and crumpets, without detours and other such excursions its estimated to be about 2000 miles or so needless to say i will be piling on some heavy miles this summer :D

The main reason for this post is ive never done such a long trek before and any traveling tips/advice for driving around europe would be most welcome for our road trip holiday

cheers

John

Driving though France on the Route Nationales is enjoyable but can take a long time. Travelling on the autoroutes can be expensive. Use Via Michelin if you haven't already done so to get an idea of the tolls. If you use the Route Nationales you can save a bit of time by leaping on the autoroutes around big towns and cities. Generally they are free.

We're going to central Italy in June after the Le Mans 24 hour but will travel via. Luxemborg, Germany and Austria and the Brenner and Reschen passes. Don't know them but hopefully they will be fun.

To drive in Switzerland, you need a vignette (road tax) but can buy it for a short period. I don't think it's expensive for a car. I understand it's better to buy them on-line before you go.

There are a lot more speed traps now than in the old days but if you have a sat nav with all the up-dates you should be all right.

In France you must have two high vis jackets preferably displayed on the seat backs (new law) and beam benders for the lights.

I understand the gendarmes specifically target Brits as a way of making extra dosh off the unsuspecting so forewarned is forearmed

Finally,Monaco was great but not easy to drive around so we just parked up near the exit from the tunnel and walked down only as far as Tabac. I had hoped to follow it around in the car later but took a wrong turning at Rascasse. If I did it again, I would get a taxi to take me around.

Hope this helps and have a great journey.

:drive1

The Vignette is around 30 euros, it runs from from Jan 1st to Dec 31st, doesn't matter when you buy it, they all expire on 31st Dec. Look on ebay, some folks chance not putting it on and sell when they return to the UK.

At Lake Maggiore, halfs in Swtzerland, halfs in Italy, you will get pinged by the Swiss if you haven't got a Vignette.

Stelvio is not far from Maggiore. Monaco is allright but it'll be heaving in July, I'd give it a miss.

The Gorge du Verdun is worth doing, there's an article in this months TG mag, where part of the route with the new Masserati was there, been there myself, truly awesome :thumbs:

Spare bulbs is another requirement, as well as a warning triangle, some countries you need two.

Take care and have fun B)

Monaco is worth a visit (just so you can say you have driven the track every time the monaco gp is on tv)

We didnt bother with the vignette last year, we just hitched a tow with a local driven Z4 and cruised through swizterland at a fair pace :drive1

The french autoroutes are pricey but great roads. 100 miles travelled in 1 hour is the goal :thumbs:

we were looking at alternatives to the french toll roads part of the trip and the end result was only 200 miles of the 783 being on motorways and the rest via B-roads which would be hella more expensive in fuel not to mention an additional few hours drive. So i think we are going to just bite the bullet and pay the 85 odd quid in toll for the first leg of the trip.

Great tip on the ebay thing, there are a few on there so thats good to know.