Stoping Watermarks?

Peter10

Long shot but hey ho let's see,

I spent a fair while yesterday washing the car, dressing the tyres and in my opinion getting the best shine I have ever managed to get on a car. I took it out today and needed to use the washers on the rear windows. When I got home I had the usual watermarks left all over the rear wing. Is there anything out there used as an additive in the washers that help prevent this? I've seen products that can be used while washing a car that helps prevent them so would it be mad to assume there may be something that does the job for the washer jets? I know watermarks are from the minerals left behind when water evaporates, but is there something that works?

On a side note, I had a real issue with watermarks when washing the car. I live in an area with pretty hard water. No matter how much I tried when drying they would appear all over the place... "Time To Dry" to fix this?

As the others have said, use a bit of Quick Detailer after washing and drying. You can also use QD to get rid of watermarks from dribbles from the washer, but remember that the car might be dirty so you may inflict swirls into the paint as well as remove the water marks. Most of the time you are better off leaving it. Also if you have a good layer of protection, the water will run off better and less likely to leave water marks ;)

As the others have said, use a bit of Quick Detailer after washing and drying. You can also use QD to get rid of watermarks from dribbles from the washer, but remember that the car might be dirty so you may inflict swirls into the paint as well as remove the water marks. Most of the time you are better off leaving it. Also if you have a good layer of protection, the water will run off better and less likely to leave water marks ;)

+1 on the protection.

In addition you could apply some RainX to the rear window as that will aid water run off. I use RainX on all windows, apart from the quarter windows of course. Helps massively with rain driving.

Wash you car when it's cloudy and the metal cool. Then you will have more time to dry the car before the sun gets to it.

Some other alternatives:

1. When rinsing, sheet the water off by using an open ended hose. The water will pull itself off the car and leave hardly anything behind. However, you need a highly polished car for this to work. Then go round and mop up the remaiing bits. You still need a cool car in the shade for this.

2. You could invest in a water filter. Aquagleam is the product. It's about £50 and will only get you so many washes so it is not a cheap option. Theoretically you should be able to leave the car to dry by itself using this method but I have never found this to be the case. I no longer use a filter but I may re-invest for the summer months.

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/aqua-gleam.aspx

3. You could try the Optimun No Rinse product. This is a rinseless wash. I haven't tried it so can't recommend it.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/optimum-no-rinse-32oz/prod_773.html

I've often thought the same with the washers as you. You could try using de-ionised water but that's not a cheap option. Besides, the wash mix might leave particles/residue behind anyway. Might be worth a try once.

As other people have mentioned, deionised water should dry without leaving a water mark but I don't know if the washer fluid added to the water will cause a watermark.

A free source of deionised water is the collection tank on a tumble drier.

An additional problem and far worse if you are not aware of it, is that our usual windscreen addatives to our windscreen water bottle, will strip wax of your body protection that you lovingly waxed on a Sunday morning. When I asked at the last seminar with a well known car wax and polish producer about this, they are not able to give you an alternative adddition.

I wonder if that is because they don't want to loose the sale of their wax and polish products through windscreen washer water, no that can't be true is it?

Or is there some one there that can protect against the water freezing with a resistance to the stripping of wax. You would make a lot of money but it has to protect against the water freezing? Any one out there?

Apply the QD when the car is wet and then dry as normal. The QD starts to dispel the water straight away and you get no watermarks.

I use megs last touch and it works well. I guess it's a bit like a quick wax when doing it like this.

I've tried drying the car then applying the QD and it's a lot more effort.