Rear wiper delete

Clarkie

Grommets are available at Halfords, 25mm for wiper hole and i bought a multipack consisting of various sizes (20 through 24 iirc)so the washer was one of those sizes. Sorry can't remember exactly which size it was.

only thing with painting grommets is they're plastic and the paint doesnt stick to them very well, didn't on mine anyway. plus they flex when you put them in :(

Why not put them in and then mask off and paint them in place :shrug:

Knowing me i'd end up accidently spraying all the car! lol.

only thing with painting grommets is they're plastic and the paint doesnt stick to them very well, didn't on mine anyway. plus they flex when you put them in :(

Why not put them in and then mask off and paint them in place :shrug:

Knowing me i'd end up accidently spraying all the car! lol.

I painted a spare one i had, didn't come out quite as i'd hoped so just leaving it black. Though they're flexy the paint didn't crack when i did a few test bends, but i'm sure trying to jam it in would cause bother.

I agree that a wiper on such a car as a Z looks silly.

However, how do we stand legally by removing it?

Does it affect the MOT, Insurance or general legality of the vehicle?

I'd like to remove it myself.

Loads of different cars out there without them - no legal requirement for rear wiper :thumbs:

Personally I like having the function - compromise: off for summer, on for winter! :)

another quick question, does the screen wash pipe need to be capped off as well once wiper is removed?

If you remove the washer nozzel, the valve in the end of the pipe can be reversed to prevent leakage. Very easy to do, just need the grommet for the glass. And no, there is no risk of a leak through the window, as that section empties into the void above the boot seal, which carries away rain water that runs off the roof and down the panel gap. Think it may have been a 20mm for the nozzel, can't remember off hand, but there was a guide someone posted up not so long ago that had all the info.

If you don't remove the washer as well, the worst that can happen is a squirt of water on the rear screen should you push the lever. Not the biggest problem. :shrug:

If you're deleting the wiper, you may as well take the washer nozzel off. Flat grommet in place of an off centre black knob. Makes sense as it's for looks anyway, and only takes 5 minutes. :thumbs:

Hi all, i removed both rear wiper and the washer nozzle today and replaced them with black rubber grommets from B&Q. I can confirm its 25mm for the wiper and 20mm for the washer nozzle ( wiper grommet was perfect fit, washer grommet not as flush but still good, i use a little clear sealant just in case.

I am colour coding the wiper grommet to azure blue as i have a few spare to play around with. The black grommet still looks way better than a rear wiper though! very easy to do, n i'm a novice!

Once you remove the initial nut to get the wiper off what's the.next step?

Same for washer bit also? Do you remove the big plastic cover in the boot to get access to remove the metal spindle that's there when you lift the wiper off?

Cheers

Yes, take the trim off (usual tight poppers, some may snap, only designed to go one way. :dry: ) then the motor just unbolts. Unplug the cable and tape it securely so that it doesn't rattle around in the tailgate. Bit of sealant under a grommet and you're done. I can't remember exactly how the washer nozzel comes out, but it is very easy. See my comment above about the tube and grommet. I think it was just a nut or something, but you'll see when you look at it, nothing to worry about. :thumbs: