handling like a greasy weasel!

nixy

Fed up so treated myself to a whole week driving the zed to cheer myself up. I've had the zed getting on for four years and have never had any of the usual problems of losing the back end etc that many of you have it's always felt solid as a rock and I don't drive too mad which is probably why. This week though it's been strange - overtaking someone last night on a straight and lost the back end badly as I accelerated away, seriously thought I was going to bin it but recovered, then again this morning pulling out of a junction, gas pedal, not too fast and back end gone. Never happened to me before unless on ice etc and never that bad. Only did tyre pressures at weekend so it's not that and i've got good tread. Ruined my drive to work this morning as I scared myself into driving like a granny! Maybe the zed's cross with me for buying a clio diesel....... :lol:

The roads have been very greasy recently due to the sudden hot/cold changes, one day on the way home from work i thought something was wrong with the car as the TC kept kicking in, it was fine once i got some heat into the tyres though.

Happened to me too. Lots and lots of 'almost most it' sotries flying around.

Safe driving people! Lets all take it easy with the ladies until the dry roads come allowing for some slightly more spirited driving. :thumbs:

P.S Do women Zed owners refer / think of their Zed's as women too, or as men?..... :bangin::lol:

The roads have been very greasy recently due to the sudden hot/cold changes, one day on the way home from work i thought something was wrong with the car as the TC kept kicking in, it was fine once i got some heat into the tyres though.

Good point - tyres weren't probably that warm to be honest and the outside temp was very low again.

+1 its been seriously greasy some days :(

You're not happy if you're not sliding around anyway! :lol:

P.S Do women Zed owners refer / think of their Zed's as women too, or as men?..... :bangin::lol:

My cars are always boys!

It's been great over here in Norwich this week...dry sunny days with lovely dry roads but wow its been chilly in the morning.

I left the other morning in a fairly spirited fashion thinking the roads were pretty good until I had one of the above mentioned "tail" moments....all I can say is "that ESP" gismo is bloody good stuff :thumbs::thumbs: certainly straightened me up quick right!

I started to worry I had perhaps done something wrong or a tyre had lost loads of air but I agree it was probably just a bit greasy with it still being early morning and little heat in the new Vredesteins!!!

Good point - tyres weren't probably that warm to be honest and the outside temp was very low again.

+1 its been seriously greasy some days :(

You're not happy if you're not sliding around anyway! :lol:

My cars are always boys!

:teeth: although it's hard work on these fat tyres these days!

Me too. My Zed is called Monty as the first owner who had it was the drummer in Hot Chocolate! :D

As in the full Monty because of the music or was the drummer actually called Monty? :lol:

How long since you last changed your tyres? Dont they 'go-off' after a few years?

Not in such a short space of time. I had a similar thing the other day, going uphill at WOT and the back got all squirrelly on me, just put it down to road temperature being near freezing. Keeps you awake if nothing else :D

Even though the roads are dry, its cold. Remember you have summer tyres on there, and the desired operating temperature is probably a good few degrees more than they were. When cold you are pretty much driving on solid tyres. Need to get them warmed up a bit first :drive1

Nixy - same thing happened to me...

I went away for a week (in the sun) - came back - driving to work and car was sliding around if I gave even a hint of spirited driving - but was perfect before holiday.... ??

I even stopped and checked rear tyres, totally convinced I had a flat tyre.

I then went down the 'it must be cold' thoughts, and the fact I've just come back from warm dry roads etc...

Fortunately it was booked in at Abbey that week for service/re-map etc, and I asked them to check alignment/tracking - as the car had hit a kerb recently - but had felt fine for days afterwards....

Their findings were that the rear end had settings akin for a drift car !! and to be fair that's what it felt like.

So someone either sabotaged car when I was away - unlikely - or something worked lose... my advice would be get alignment checked out...

Took the tc off the other day for the first time on the way to work :lol:

Lost the back in second eased off changed up lost it in third :scare:

Eased off changed booted again in fourth :scare:

Put it back on :)

Diddnt go over 4k RPM cant wait for better roads with no slime or salt :teeth:

I would have thought after losing the back end the first time, you would have got the message that maybe your driving style wasn't suited to the conditions and switched the TC back on rather than carry on until you lost it again :dry:

Think of the consequences if you lost it totally and took out another car or pedestrian :doh:

Irresponsible driving IMO

Snap! I've had exactly the same problems nic...I was beginning to think that it was my driving! I know my mismatch tyres don't help (saving for new) but didn't expect to feel like I was in a sledge in this weather! :scare: I have never driven as slow since one particularly dodgy moment...ironic really!

Oh and my car is male too! (And very handsome he is!!!) ;)

my advice would be get alignment checked out...

i did have an incident with a kerb but that was a while ago now but might be worth getting it checked - I always think its worth doing once in a while anyway.

Snap! I've had exactly the same problems nic...I was beginning to think that it was my driving!

What a pair we are Fee! :lol:

I would have thought after losing the back end the first time, you would have got the message that maybe your driving style wasn't suited to the conditions and switched the TC back on rather than carry on until you lost it again :dry:

Think of the consequences if you lost it totally and took out another car or pedestrian :doh:

:boxing:

Irresponsible driving IMO

Have waited 3 months since having the car to take it off. :snack:

Empty straight road, no houses, no lamposts, no people , no cars, 1/2 mile visibility. :yahoo:

Lost it may have been a little exaggerated for what happened, maybe squirmed would be a better description. :scare:

Got to find out sometime what happens when it does go all loose at the back. :doh:

Responsible driving IMO :boxing:

Me too. My Zed is called Monty as the first owner who had it was the drummer in Hot Chocolate! :D

As in the full Monty because of the music or was the drummer actually called Monty? :lol:

No as in full monty, can't even remember his name now :lol: i'm blaming baby brain!

So someone either sabotaged car when I was away - unlikely - or something worked lose... my advice would be get alignment checked out...

Something worked loose while the car was on the driveway?? Do what?? :wacko:

Drift car alignment maximises rear end grip as well, so I imagine youd have the opposite (toe out, loads of camber) but unless youve got adjustable arms theres not a lot of available adjustment anyway :)