Traction control Problem

liam42whu

So basically you're going to ignore all (well, the vast majority) of the advice here and go with your gut? Well, I'm really glad we all bothered taking time to give you the benefit of our experience.

:surrender: Dont take offence, the simple reason for my decision was that it only happens when turning in one direction (right), surely if it was tyres it would be both, however i do understand your tyre statements and my tyre will be replaced next month anyway, so if i cant find the problem and tyre slove it ill take my hat of to you :thumbs: however i dought it will be.

I'm not convinced about this whole mismatching tyres scaremongering.

Does this mean that if you wear out your rear tyres twice as quickly as the front, which you will do on a zed, then you need to replace all four tyres to make sure there are all exactly the same?

If the answer is no then what is the difference to running different branded tyres on front and back. You can never have all 4 tyres the same!

I'm not talking about having different brands on each side of axel but I really dont see a problem with different front and back.

I'm not convinced about this whole mismatching tyres scaremongering.

Does this mean that if you wear out your rear tyres twice as quickly as the front, which you will do on a zed, then you need to replace all four tyres to make sure there are all exactly the same?

If the answer is no then what is the difference to running different branded tyres on front and back. You can never have all 4 tyres the same!

I'm not talking about having different brands on each side of axel but I really dont see a problem with different front and back.

Yes, I would have thought that the TC would have a built in allowance for slight differences in rolling radius as the tyres wore down. The Celica I had before The Zed had a very similar TC problem, it would kick in on right hand bends at low cornering speeds for no apparent reason. Started doing it with less than 900 miles on the clock and gradually got worse. The dealer reset it on the first service and that cured it for a while. However it came back and an examination at the next service revealed a warped disk at the back and uneven wear all round. Can't complain though, Toyota replaced the disks and pads on all 4 wheels under warranty and that fixed it.

Pete

To be fair there are a few things said on here that have to be taken with a fairly large pinch of salt... people have their opinion and then if enough people agree it becomes fact, then if you don't agree you are suddenly an idiot...

A very fair and valid observation :)

Tricky-Ricky wrote:

Simple solution, disconnect the orange wire, problem solved

the orange wire, is that a joke or a real wire

Sorry! a bit flippant, i realise that some people prefer to have the full or part function of the traction control working all the time.

Cutting, or fitting a switch to the orange power wire to the yaw sensor will completely disable the traction control.

I prefer not to rely on the TC and disable it 98% of the time, in fact i don't think i have actually turned it on since disabling it.

To be fair there are a few things said on here that have to be taken with a fairly large pinch of salt... people have their opinion and then if enough people agree it becomes fact, then if you don't agree you are suddenly an idiot...

Tricky-Ricky wrote:

Simple solution, disconnect the orange wire, problem solved

the orange wire, is that a joke or a real wire

Sorry! a bit flippant, i realise that some people prefer to have the full or part function of the traction control working all the time

Ah theres the fun wire, I was just going to look for a fuse, glad you told me that, :thumbs:,

Cutting, or fitting a switch to the orange power wire to the yaw sensor will completely disable the traction control.

I prefer not to rely on the TC and disable it 98% of the time, in fact i don't think i have actually turned it on since disabling it.

I think some people just pull the fuse,but i am not 100% on whether that actually kills the TC completely? but i prefer to fit a switch to the orange power wire, that way it can be turned back on by flicking the switch and turning the ignition off and on, as the TC is still functioning even with the TC switch off. ;)

Having worked on a lot of different vehicles and makes, I have never come across a TC fault caused by worn or different make tyres. I can't believe that the Z is the only car that does this.

Never seen a fault code for TC that said change tyres.

About 90% vehicles on the road have mismatched tyres and dont have TC lights on.

Have seen plenty with wrong size tyres throwing up faults though.

Argumentum ad populum

This is why I never comment on anything that has not directly happened to myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have 255/40/18 Bridgestone RE050A's on the front of my car and 285/35/19 Dunlops SP's on the back and can confirm that:

a) The traction control is working exactly as you would expect - Im surprised, I have to say :blink:

B) I havent gone cartwheeling into a ravine and the car hasnt exploded yet. :thumbs:

It looks awesome though :D

I now have 255/40/18 Bridgestone RE050A's on the front of my car and 285/35/19 Dunlops SP's on the back and can confirm that:

a) The traction control is working exactly as you would expect - Im surprised, I have to say :blink:

B) I havent gone cartwheeling into a ravine and the car hasnt exploded yet. :thumbs:

It looks awesome though :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: