CD Skipping - A Few Questions

im00

Hi all

I've just got my Z (2006 model) and I've noticed that the CD (Nissan badged, Bose CD) skips when the vehicle is cold but this goes away once the car has been on the road for a while. Now I know this has probably been done to death on the Z forums but I'm confused so my questions are...

1. On the one hand I'm told its condensation on the discs and on the other its condensation on the laser reader itself - whats the definitive answer?

2. I'm told only a new head unit will cure the problem but surely its an inherant design fault and even a new unit will succumb eventually?

3. If its down to the player how much is a replacement unit from the dealer - has anyone done this?

4. Is it right that due to the nature of the problem it will go away in the summer?

5. Would secreting Gel packs around the cabin cure the condensation issue in the winter?

This is a very annoying problem.

Thanks in advance for any info.

:thumbs:

Gel packs certainly help, for them to be effective they need to be dried out almost every day in the winter and every 3 days or so in the summer. It improves the situation considerably but sorry to say it never completely goes away.

Pete

Are you sitting comfortably?

I just rang my nearest Nissan dealer - Crawley Down Group - and asked for the price of a replacement Nissan/Bose unit. Not for installing mind - just supply.

How much do you think???

I was flabberghasted...

£1,490.00

:scare:

I mean seriously, I can get a 60 inch 1080p Plasma TV for less!!!

I'll bet they don't sell many of those.

I'll start a new thread for the best straight replacement unit for £500 or less (supply only)

Are you sitting comfortably?

I just rang my nearest Nissan dealer - Crawley Down Group - and asked for the price of a replacement Nissan/Bose unit. Not for installing mind - just supply.

How much do you think???

I was flabberghasted...

£1,490.00

:scare:

I mean seriously, I can get a 60 inch 1080p Plasma TV for less!!!

I'll bet they don't sell many of those.

I'll start a new thread for the best straight replacement unit for £500 or less (supply only)

Not surprised really, to build a 350Z out of Nissan parts would cost £100k (at least), for example something like £500 for a SatNav DVD :shrug: . No wonder 350Zed's are written off with what would have been considered cosmetic damage by most bodydshops 10 years ago.

Pete

Mine does it really bad, but I just take out the disk I want to listen to. Hold it in front of the heater vent for 30 secs on hot, then put it back in. Find it lasts a few days. Ball ache, but costs nothing.

I'd also do the bose hack and just listen to an MP3 player. :thumbs: