Geek help required - router recommendations

Stew

Ok, my router is playing up again, basically it says it's connected but doesn't load up t'internet!

It does this every now and then, I reload the firmware (same version) and it plods along for another couple of months.

This is a little annoying now so I am looking for an upgrade.

What I want is a router that has a good fast wireless connection speed with a strong signal and one that doesn't drop out - that's it really.

My current one has a 54mbps connection so I'd like to increase this and I use the router to do PS3 updates, Iphone playing and laptop surfing. That's about it. Nothing mega strenuous.

Something easy to set up would be a bonus..... :blush:

Any suggestions / recommendations from anyone?

tbh they are all much of a muchness if you spend a decent money on a non crap one. no doubt everyone has their own preference though :rolleyes:

i had belkin, was good enough but fiddly at times and eventually just died.

now have netgear, probably found it easier to set up and works well so far.

I have a netgear just now and it's been good apart from this dropping rubbish which is just getting a bit more frequent!

I hate Netgear's with a vengance and will never buy one again after the last episode with one. Can't go wrong with either a Linksys or a D-link ;)

Come on Dave - put up a couple of links to decent ones so I can see what I should be buying! :lol:

Don't get me wrong you could probably buy another netgear and it would be fine but i had so much trouble with the last one (out of the box) that i dont look beyond the makes i have suggested these days. And get a wireless N type ;)

Take your pick Stew ;)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productli ... catid=1595

http://www.scan.co.uk/Shop/Computer-Har ... em-Routers

Netgear have never failed me, but some people hate them. We currently have their Wireless-N to go along with our 40mbs connection and it holds up just fine :thumbs:

Have you got your ISP to do a line check Stew? Are you sure its the router? Most good ISPs will send you out a loan router to check the problem.

Pretty sure it is the router as it plays up, I log in as admin (which you and beavis told me to do a couple of years ago) and I reload the firmware and it's fine again.

I don't have anything against the netgear router I have but I'm just looking at this dropping out issue as an excuse to upgrade to something with a faster wireless connection.

And the consensus is.... Any router can be a duffer! :lol:

But no, I jest. I bought both me and my parents linksys routers; different models, and they both lock up once or twice a year and need either soft resets or a "factory defaults" reset. My previous linksys was worse, but then I moved it off the shelf above the radiator and it was fine after that! :blush:

My previous linksys was worse, but then I moved it off the shelf above the radiator and it was fine after that! :blush:

I think a lot of peoples problems come down to heat managment/airflow. My old Netgear used to lock up a bit and it was horizontal on a shelf. Since moving house, we have it attached to the wall vertically and never had a problem with it. Runs much cooler now.

Netgear - I sell a lot of them and have never had any complaints

I have a N300 wirelss dual ADSL2+ modem router in stock you can have for cost price ;)

Tell me more kind sir..... ;)

Sorry Stew a colleague sold the one we had in stock....

this is the one: http://www.netgear.co.uk/dgnd3300.php

Dixons/PC-World/Curries are all doing these for about £85 at the moment

tbh they are all much of a muchness

Dead right, a heck of a lot depends on how reliable your signal is and it's strength. I've got several here, a couple of Netgear's, a cheapo generic one supplied by a now defunct internet company and the one that AOL provided plus a couple of WAP's from Netgear and Linksys. I'm using the AOL one, a Thomson SpeedTouch right now, because its a bit easier to setup but I see no major difference between any of them :shrug:

Pete

Dead right, a heck of a lot depends on how reliable your signal is and it's strength. I've got several here, a couple of Netgear's, a cheapo generic one supplied by a now defunct internet company and the one that AOL provided plus a couple of WAP's from Netgear and Linksys. I'm using the AOL one, a Thomson SpeedTouch right now, because its a bit easier to setup but I see no major difference between any of them :shrug:

Pete

There is a lot of difference between brands - most dont have QoS (quality of service, eg for video streaming), a lot dont support VPN's, a lot dont have any form of firewall, most dont have parental control, most only have one aerial (the one I detailed has 8 and gives the best range out of all we have tested), most are single band not dual band etc etc

So the one you posted up is decent?

I did look at it earlier as the one I have is like an white version of it! :lol:

The thing that caught my eye most was 300mbps wireless connection. This is what I want. The other specs are just confusion!

If I have to switch it off and on again now and then I don't mind really. I just hate the random loss of connection!

There is a lot of difference between brands - most dont have QoS (quality of service, eg for video streaming), a lot dont support VPN's, a lot dont have any form of firewall, most dont have parental control, most only have one aerial (the one I detailed has 8 and gives the best range out of all we have tested), most are single band not dual band etc etc

Although if you sit within 5ft of the router, dont require QoS or VPN, then most are about the same :lol:

So the one you posted up is decent?

I did look at it earlier as the one I have is like an white version of it! :lol:

The thing that caught my eye most was 300mbps wireless connection. This is what I want. The other specs are just confusion!

If I have to switch it off and on again now and then I don't mind really. I just hate the random loss of connection!

Yep - its pretty good - not saying its the best, just one I happen to have in stock.

Have a look here Stew and sort by rating: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/wifi-routers

Linksys comes up trumps on their list...

Although if you sit within 5ft of the router, dont require QoS or VPN, then most are about the same :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Pete

I'm sure you're right but I judge them by how long they'll run without a reboot and how many connections I can maintain. I run a minimum of 10 machines 24/7, 6 of which are WiFi Laptops on various internet projects I have on the go. The router I'm using now is 3 years old and won't have some of the features you mention but works fine for me..and one of the laptops isn't even in the house :lol:

Pete