My DC2 Race Car Build...

Adriank

Well as some of you may know me and Paul have been looking for a car to Race in the MSA trackday trophy this year. Having been messed about numerous times, we decided to go for a standard car,and builkd it ourselves. This is going to kill us, as we have very little time, so here goes!

Let the transformation begin. We have bought a JDM 96 spec, with a few good mods on it, in road trim. We need to convert this to a race car with FIA cage etc... in about 7 weeks. Cue frantic activity!

Sunday 23/01/11

Collected the car, and drove it back. Found that it suffers from the usual rear light leaking issue, and dried up the pond in the spare wheel well! Stripped out the boot and some plastics at this point, but it was dark so no pics. Heres a couple of the car externally as it started.

926481d5.jpg

0856e5dc.jpg

e91be986.jpg

Tuesday 25/01/11

So our first day off work, we had a busy day yesterday in the rain (all day :( ) but still had a lot of progress. Rust was somewhat worse than initially feared, but i think i have now broken the back of it!

We also now have the interior fully stripped, just the dash to go. Have also started stripping no longer needed wires from the loom. Heres a few pics of progress (more has been done, but it got dark again. Stereo and all assosciated parts have been removed.

a316d420.jpg

a6def711.jpg

843fcec9.jpg

3b09a01d.jpg

Will get some more upto date pictures tonight, once the dash is out.

Heres one of me attacking the rust with the grinder!

167570_499625558259_508398259_6000039_4803187_n.jpg

Wednesday 26/01/2011

So tonight was basically about finishing up the interior strip. Unfortunately we didn't get time to do all the wire removal as hoped so this has now been postponed to Friday! (we are resting tommorow evening!)

However good progress again, the dash is out and thus stripping is nearly done for the interior.

Here's the pics I got in the dark tonight...

540cf45a.jpg

ac80e5a5.jpg

And with it gone (finally)

0937a6ea.jpg

d8450816.jpg

As you can see still a lot of loom to sort out and things to remove (alarm, defi display etc...).

The electronics have been removed (Alarm, Defi display etc..) and the loom removed / trimmed as much as possible. Interior now basically completely stripped, but progress slow on week nights!

Friday 04/02/2011

So a day off again and lots to do! Lots of progress today, all rust repair completed, car undersealed and interior primed. We removed the spoon 'street' exhaust and the suspension and replaced with the TEIN coilovers that arrived this morning!

Dixcel discs have been removed, cleaned and flattened and replaced the aggressive way round here's hoping it's now ok. Lots of bits on the engine bay removed and cleaned up, it's starting to slowly come together now at last!

Here's the pics:

0edd73c0.jpg

e22f37a8.jpg

8ac091a5.jpg

5323713c.jpg

483bfb40.jpg

a2ce0277.jpg

89e5dc2c.jpg

Lots more being done tommorow so another update in the evening!

Adrian

Your wish is my command Pimm! I know the feeling Sarnie, having never raced before or built a car, we sometimes think we have taken on too much, but this was the right time to do it so here we are!

Saturday 05/02/2011

Well lots of progress again today. Finally the last of the air con is gone and the weather was ok enough for be to spray the interior, I'm pretty pleased how it has turned out will get better pics in the light tomorrow.

Suspension all finished, gear linkage bushs changed (what a nightmare!) and the exhaust has been swapped over.

Lots of various other smaller jobs done, underselling is now complete, wheels cleaned and refitted and a lot of other little things I can't remember!

Here's the pics:

Floor primered(yesterday!)

40fd8707.jpg

b09c18db.jpg

Exhaust comparison

db2b54fb.jpg

0d82e8a1.jpg

The damn transmission bushs!

3065d7d1.jpg

65335bda.jpg

bc4e009d.jpg

Partially painted

056d05d3.jpg

58f73da2.jpg

And the car back on the ground :)

5518f885.jpg

a6dc1aed.jpg

8f3cc2d1.jpg

Couple of teaser pics of the finished paint in the dark

98c23445.jpg

fe047924.jpg

Thanks for looking, more tomorrow!

Looking good bud :thumbs:

Are you getting TGM to give you a hand with stuff too?

Hey Chris,

Yeah Tom is doing the cage and the safety cut offs for us. The car needs to be drivable after next weekend, we have re series test day on 17th feb! After that it's off to TGM for the cage etc...

First race is mid march.

Good progress again today the read of the car is back together, the radiator etc has been refitted and the lights back on. Updated pics when I can. You can always come and give us a hand!

Adrian

Sunday 06/02/2011

Well we were pretty tired on Sunday and our hands were feeling the pain of multiple strikes on sharp objects! Still more progress has been made, the radiator is back in, lights refitted and rear bumper back on. The pins for he boot are also nearly done. Some weight loss was done on the dash and other places too.

The paintwork!

1d2a593f.jpg

1aa00597.jpg

fe63f42c.jpg

Lights back in

771a03e3.jpg

85313b58.jpg

Car park outside

8f7986d1.jpg

Exhaust and bumper fitted

8ba6f614.jpg

Cheers for the comments, any questions please do ask!

Wednesday 09/02/2011

Well a few evenings worth of progress, the car is basically back together now. Only things outstanding before the first test are seats/harnesses and the bonnet pins.

Last night we finally got the loom back in and started the car :-) the dash has now been refitted also.

Yes we know the cage is missing, this is due in a couple of weeks. Here's the pics...

f74c8715.jpg

Seat test fit

401dbbbb.jpg

Blower refitted and loom tidied

540eadcf.jpg

Dash in

d014e02b.jpg

b274ad55.jpg

9ab4ba82.jpg