CarPuter Install - FOR SALE - £250 ono

neo-ninja

Hi All,

So there is lots of talk on hear about car pc installs etc... I have been quite heavly researching doing an install myself over the last 6 months or so, and have been weighing up the possatives and negatives. But i have finally decided I am going to take the plundge and build one to see how easy they are to setup etc..

I have built several of my own computers in the past, so unlike cars they do not phase me at all.

Here is the basic system i am looking at building:

1.6ghz dual core Atom

2gb Ram

m2-atx powersupply

Motherboard onboard GFX and 5.1 sound

Crystal case

120gb hdd 2.5"

I will then install windows 7 stripped down, and one of the good car pc front ends.

Then buy a used satnav cubby and a new Lilliput 7" screen to fit it all in.

I will used the bose hack to make sure the system all stays stealth.

The whole install can but quite pricey partly as the cubbys arnt cheap and legit windows 7 is pricey so to fund my system i was wondering if anyone else would be interested in buying one of the systems, (just a thought - and the numbers below might be way too much for peeps)

I can build you the basic system for around £300 thats withought Windows 7, the cubby and screen.

Obviously if you want more i can add and upgrade anything else you want into it. If you want me to install Windows 7 etc which is very easy it adds quite a whack on as its pricey to buy around £80-£100.

I would recomend you buy your own screen, and source your own cubby (or you could look at modding your current one) again to keep costs down. I could source these for you but it makes it pricey.

The benefit of this system is you are getting something you can run music, films, games, the net, gps and loads more on. It is far more powerful then other systems that you can get which are prebuilt. Its also very easy to take out when you sell the car on and use elsewhere. However obviously this system is more pricey. But why settle for second best.

Everything would come with the same warranty i would get buying it new so typically 1 year. I would also direct you to all the places you need to see how to install it (which although i havent done yet, seems to be realtivly easy - getting power from battery etc...)

rear.jpg

This option is more for those peeps out there who dont know how to build thier own pc, havent done the research like me, and / or dont know where to start but want a system that is top of the range and looks good. And dont mind spending a little more then other systems out there however alot cheaper then similar spec'd systems (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Computer-Carp ... 4aa8282ae0)

Let me know what you think, if too pricey, if you would be interested, if you would put down a deposit, if you would be interested if i gave a % to charity or something similar... I am just looking at a way of trying to get my cost down a bit while having a bit of fun.

looks interesting, and a competant build, nice to see a quality carputer for the Zed :thumbs:

is it possible to build an FM reciever into the unit?

if it is its definetly something i'd be looking at for my next car. sadly not on your timeframe though :blush:

Hi Buddy,

So the unit is fairly tight how it is, i am incontact with the manufactuors, as i am a little uncertain if i will be able to fit the m2-atx powersupply in currently, if not as its a small company i might see if they can extend the case a little.

Currently its around 18cmx18cmx6.5cm so its a nice compact build.

I havent checked to see if you can get a USB fm receiver but i would suspect you could and then it would be fine.

I will keep you posted on case if I need a rethink based on not getting power supply in.

But thanks for showing interest.

NEO

Your Windows 7 software will be cheaper if you are a student or you buy on behalf of a student.

You need an .ac.uk email address (or the student you are buying on behalf of does).

http://www.software4students.co.uk/

Yup good point so if you have any kids or know any you can get it cheaper, I was planning on installing a trial for anyone who buys to make sure the unit is working then its up to you to buy a key, or not and use some other method of activation (although buying a key is always recommened)

HI All,

Just a quick update for anyone that is interested i have just finished doing all my research as some of you might have seem.

I have so far bought:

mini itx case

160gb hdd

2.5-3.5hdd converter cable

m2-atx powersupply

2gb ram

dual core atom motherboard+ processor

7"screen

2003 satnav Cubby

5m 10 gage red wire with fuse box

5m 3.5 audio for Bose hack

double sided velcro pads to hold pc down but still enable it to be taken out when needed. (lots of people drill them in, but actually if you look online velcro is just as good and actually has anti vibration properties)

loads of cable ties to keep everything neat and in place

electrical tape - just incase

gaffa - tape just in case

I will be following these guides:

http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/firewall/

http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/rear_speakers/ - hopefully not as extreme

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33982&hilit=bose+hack

http://www.my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v ... wires.html

I have never installed an amp etc before (headunits yes, but amps no) so I am quite nervous about taking off to much pannel work but hopefully with the guides and advice from others i can get away with not too much (we shall see, might just be easier to go whole hog)

I will probably do Bose hack this weekend to make sure i get it up and running.

Dont remember i am looking for someone to help out on costs (before misses moans about them) so if i can build you a unit and make a little money i will do!

Hi All,

A big update, on thursday it was the best post day ever! (normally i get nothing) it is more or less everything to build the pc including case, screen, casing, all computer parts (apart from m2-atx)

Anyway here is some progress pics of me putting the screen together then playing the trailer for Illusionist and then showing of Centrafuse (Which seems quite good so far, although is slow loading)

img0185w.jpg

img0187od.jpg

img0189rj.jpg

img0192yk.jpg

img0195yh.jpg

img0197pq.jpg

img0200rp.jpg

img0203wb.jpg

img0204yn.jpg

All in all it has around a 1min10 second boot to playing music. Which isnt too bad so far, i recon i can prob cut off the ten to get it around 1 min. I timed myself today starting up car and pulling out of space to electric gates and it was around 1 min, so should be fine.

Any questions fire them over, i will do a guide when done.

do you not find that rinses your car battery though? What happens if you dont use your car for a week or so?

I know there are a few options with the m2-atx so might explore that more..

Hibernate uses no power - unlike standby - as it saves the current state of the computer to HDD and powers off completely. Then it reads the last state from HDD on startup which is much quicker than a full boot. I recommend that you use hibernate over full shutdown. Standby on the other hand shuts down everything it can, but it has to keep the RAM powered up, which is when it will drain the car battery.

If you get a Carnetix PSU, it wont ever let the car battery die as it has a low volt cutoff :thumbs:

Yeah tbh an SSD for a carputer is a bit extreme imho but then again if you have the money why no :)

(For boot up speed i completely understand)

Alot of people say that hdds can die in carputer use but from my research if you mount the hdd sideways and be sure to use a laptop 2.5" drive you are pretty safe. But that said i think its luck of the game, some peeps seem to have bits and pieces die on them quite quick others go the entire ownership of the car and never have a part fail

TBH these days, theres no point having loads of storage in a carPC, you'd be better off spending the same on a smaller SSD and have it boot faster then get a USB thumb drive for music/films/pics/etc. If you really want a big drive, look at the 500GB hybrid drives that are now out that have a few gig SSD built in. Best of both worlds.

My standard laptop HDD lived for a good 3yrs mounted normally in a mac mini, never actually died, its not on house duties doing other file server stuff.

HI All,

Just another update, after a day or so of taking the car apart (very scary for a complete noob like me!) the Neo system is in!

Below are some pics of the instal mid process, i still need to do a few more tiny things, tidy up the wiring in the rear glove box with cable ties, drill the small hole in the glove box floor to route wires etc.. Put back on the door footwell pannel etc.

So far i am really chuffed havent had time to take it for a spin, and wont do until i can properly mount the pc in the cubby with strong velcro to stop it slipping around.

anyway have a sneak peak! I will make a guide and upload some more pics and a vid when its all done. Any questions fire them over! Ideally i am trying to raise some cash to help pay for my build (bit broke at the mo) so if any one is interested let me know.

img0221tb.jpg

img0222bk.jpg

img0225zq.jpg

img0227ot.jpg

img0230o.jpg

Looks great! I've toted with carputers before but always settled for an iPod connector instead. Far cheaper :p

If I had the cash then it is definitely something I would do.

Like you computers don't phase me but pulling panels off cars and wiring do a little. Fitted upgraded stereos (subs amps and speakers) into all my cars so this is the logical next step really.

I will be watching your progress intently.

Keep up the good work.

This looks excellent! I have been looking into performing a build for my z, and the screen in the satnav cubby looks great! Having trouble finding a satnav cubby though :(

I presume you hard-wired the PC sound output into the tape of the BOSE?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments, all looks really nice just about to upload video, so you can see it in action.

I did just use the Bose tapedeck hack Tone, works a treat with ipod etc..

Only slight problem i have currently is, im getting a little bit of alternator whine and hiss when i use the hack in my car pc. Now im getting advice off a few members and elsewhere but by all accounts should be sortable fairly easily. (Finding a better ground, increaseing PC gains, and or getting a ground loop isolator seem to be advice i have found do far)

Regards taking off panels etc, actually most are really easy i avoided taking off back panels and you dont actually need to just center console and front console and inside door panel thing that holds carpet down.

So today tied up wires, and wired in a ground loop isolator, and its comepleted sorted all problems with the audio so it works a dream now. No hissing or alternator wine!

Only things left to do, are properly calibrate touch screen (its slightly off), then buy wireless bluetooth mouse and keyboard combo so i can do maintainance easily.

Finally wire in the gps dongle i have, and we are 100% sorted.

Remember if anyone is interested in helping me fund my project by making you a carputer let me know,

Neo