strange 'locking up' issue at start up

grizz

a few times recently when I've started up the Zed there has been some resistance to movement, as if the the handbrake is still on.

after applying a bit of power, i hear a clunk (from direction of rear wheels), we shudder then get moving, and everything seems to be fine again.

today it was particularly bad, to the point where i thought we were going nowhere, but after the same routine and a particularly loud bang we were off and back to normal.

handbrake seems to be fine, so i dont think it can be that sticking, i thought maybe a brake caliper sticking or maybe something to do with the traction control locking up rear wheels?

have searched the forum but couldnt find anything similar - anyone have any ideas what it could be?

i only use the zed max twice a week, so sometimes it can sit for a week or so without being used, and its only happened since it got cold, but that may be a total coincidence.

any help much appreciated, dont fancy trying to explain this rather weird situation to the bods in the local dealer.

Might want to give the calipers a clean-up and add some copper grease to the back of the pads, shims and caliper sides as you may have got a build up of muck.

As others have said, and with most cars, the pads will stick onto the discs after washing/rain/lack of use but when you say a loud bang that sounds a bit more than just the pads sticking for those reasons alone ;)

Common issue with a lot of cars if they're left for a while. When the Porsche is in the garage I never put the handbrake on as it's left for weeks at a time. Usually just enough time for the battery to go flat :lol: Unfortunately it's a rented garage with no electricity so no trickle charger :thumbdown:

If possible try not to set the handbrake, just leave it in gear, this should solve the problem. But either way its not anything to worry about

mine still managed to do it with the handbrake off after a week of no use :lol: had just washed it before tucking it up down the drive when it was freezing so water probably froze.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Mine had the same issue today. The Z had been parked up for almost 5 weeks.

Got in, started up, handbrake off.......going nowhere. After applying quite a bit of power, a bit of a bang and creak and away I went. All good.

Here's the problem....

Now when I brake, I get a juddering along with a bumping noise that sounds like I'm driving over rumble strips. The noise varies with my speed so is obviously related to the wheels turning. Seems like it is from the rear passenger side, but hard to tell.

Any ideas?

Hi guys,

Got in, started up, handbrake off.......going nowhere. After applying quite a bit of power, a bit of a bang and creak and away I went. All good.

Here's the problem....

Now when I brake, I get a juddering along with a bumping noise that sounds like I'm driving over rumble strips. The noise varies with my speed so is obviously related to the wheels turning. Seems like it is from the rear passenger side, but hard to tell.

Any ideas?

I would get that checked pronto - you may have damaged one of the pads in the process of freeing it from the caliper

Hi guys,

Here's the problem....

Any ideas?

Read the replies on the thread you posted up here http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=45516 :thumbs: