Ubuntu Help

spursmaddave

Just wondered if there are any Ubuntu users on here. I used Linux a fair bit at Uni / College back in the day and thought I would try Ubuntu on my laptop, really impressed so far but before I plunge myself into the myriad of Forums... has anybody had this problem -

Installed it and it picked up my wifi router no problem, but switched it on this morning and got wireless is disabled, ticked enable wireless and now I get device not ready... it does however appear in Network Connections :shrug:

I really don't want to have to go back to Windows, please don't make me... please :surrender:

Ahhhh, as I suspected, as the title suggests, you are indeed speaking another language! B):lol:

Just wondered if there are any Ubuntu users on here. I used Linux a fair bit at Uni / College back in the day and thought I would try Ubuntu on my laptop, really impressed so far but before I plunge myself into the myriad of Forums... has anybody had this problem -

Installed it and it picked up my wifi router no problem, but switched it on this morning and got wireless is disabled, ticked enable wireless and now I get device not ready... it does however appear in Network Connections :shrug:

I really don't want to have to go back to Windows, please don't make me... please :surrender:

Peeps on here may be of help, very knowledgeable

http://forum.watercoolinguk.co.uk/index.php

My PC is also in there.... http://forum.watercoolinguk.co.uk/index ... entry47301

Cheers fella :thumbs:

I have dipped a toe into some forums but it is mind numbing even for a nerd like me :blush:

I want to keep Ubuntu as it is super duper quick and does everything I want except pick up my wireless signal :rant:

Might be a router issue though as my Windows 7 PC won't pick up the wireless signal either now... but my iPhone does :shrug:

Bizarre :bangin:

I know you're gonna hate me for this, "but my iPhone does" - get a Mac :lol::lol::p

Peeps on here may be of help, very knowledgeable

http://forum.watercoolinguk.co.uk/index.php

My PC is also in there.... http://forum.watercoolinguk.co.uk/index ... entry47301

Cheers fella :thumbs:

I have dipped a toe into some forums but it is mind numbing even for a nerd like me :blush:

I want to keep Ubuntu as it is super duper quick and does everything I want except pick up my wireless signal :rant:

Might be a router issue though as my Windows 7 PC won't pick up the wireless signal either now... but my iPhone does :shrug:

Bizarre :bangin:

I know you're gonna hate me for this, "but my iPhone does" - get a Mac :lol::lol::p

Not at all, would love a mac but a bit ott for what I need it for...

Running Linux is best of both worlds, cheap laptop + free O/S that runs everything I want quicker than a £2,000 laptop :p Just need to get my head back into it all :headhurt:

That happens sometimes when you've disabled the hardware on the laptop (switch or FN+F2 on some laptops) and reboot the laptop, it seems not to pickup and start the driver properly. reboot with it enabled and it should work fine. also check what encryption you use on the laptop and router. Mine doesnt like when I use WPA2 and AES with TKIP it works fine. Maybe PM me if you got any more Q's so I dont garbish the forum :D

That happens sometimes when you've disabled the hardware on the laptop (switch or FN+F2 on some laptops) and reboot the laptop, it seems not to pickup and start the driver properly. reboot with it enabled and it should work fine. also check what encryption you use on the laptop and router. Mine doesnt like when I use WPA2 and AES with TKIP it works fine. Maybe PM me if you got any more Q's so I dont garbish the forum :D

Cheers :thumbs: glad someone knew what I was going on about!

I think it is router related, will try your fix as resetting and fiddling with router settings has done nothing. The laptop is about 2 feet from the router and I have a cable but it is the principle lol also can't get Ubuntu to recognise my external HD but I'm guessing that's a formatting problem... If it wasn't such a great OS I would give up :lol: plus I like to be different :teeth: