New gearbox fitted (under warranty)

Boycey

Ok, so I have an 08 plate with 30k miles on it, (bought it 2 years ago with 22k on the clock) and I have always heard a little rattle in when in netural, a little bit louder than usual but nothing to worry about, also sometimes had an issue getting it into 6th while at higher revs like motorway slip roads etc

On reading these forums and being at Nissan In Watford I was told it was a characteristic of the car and not to worry about it. Why would I doubt them, Nissans are well built and the car has never put a foot wrong.

2 weeks ago I took it to Ross at Japex, top guy and ex Nissan to fit some front reflector LEDs to the bumper and he told me this wasn't normal, he had called his ex workmates at Glyn Hopkin Nissan and told them I was on my way round to see them,

So, I get to Nissan, they start her up, said the 350 sounded like a bus ad it wasn't normal, I left the car with them as I didn't need it, 2 days later they had stripped the gearbox and sent photos to Nissan GB

Yesterday I got a brand new gearbox fitte under warranty, and she sounds so much better, sadly, the snow has stopped me from having a real test drive but so far it's much better and quieter.

Is there an issue with these gearboxes, a new one shouldn't be needed on an 08 plate with 30k on it (I'm not a boy racer and don't thrash it everywhere). I've seen Geoff+ had a few problems, where they the same

However, big thank you to Ross at Japex, without him I doubt I would have gone to Nissan to complain and for him giving them a heads up about me (they might has said no without him)

My warranty only has 3 months left to run and should the box have failed after that I would have been looking at a £3k job give or take.

Thank you for the help.

Good news to hear that there are some genuine techs out there still that are looking out for the punters :#1:

The Zed gearbox does sound rather loud compared to other cars, I feel this is probably the main reason they sent you away. It shouldnt be overly loud though. I guess for others out there that think theres is loud, the best thing to do it get with another Zed and compare.

Glad you got it all sorted, and just before the warranty ran out :thumbs:

Boycey, you read right I had a few problems with mine which eventually meant I traded it in. Similar situation to you 07 plate with 20k miles on it. It sounds like you were lucky to hear it from an ex-Nissan guy and he must have given the backing to get the problem sorted. I was left without such luck and it was such an uphill battle it was better to let the car go. Glad you sorted it though and hopefully no more problems! :thumbs: