Computer screens of the near future

M13KYF

Guest prescience
it will be running on a SG no doubt

Are they still going - heard they were in big trouble last time I was involved in the graphics industry (about 4 years back now)

I saw a demo of this in person 2 months back, its outstanding what it can do and its flawless. I think this will be used much sooner than you all think.

Mainly aimed at the train industry, signalling at the moment, air traffic too and police. But they are looking to move this out to the general public in a few years as the cost is huge

To add to this, it was actually developed by a student and he is running it of a Linux OS

I'm guessing that this sort of technology will bring about true 3D desktops which are actually useful. With just one input, I don't think there is much of an advantage, but with numerous inputs from touch screens like that... well, it just looked so natural. Amazing really...

For one of the games I worked on , I came up with a 3d system for controlling the menus and gesture recognition system. The controller was a pair of gloves which each had a wire down to the controller. The problem was accurracy , the angle it could read was limited ( if you moved you hands left or right as the wire ws not straight it lagged ) , but the big problem was the wires , you could move you hands down quicker than it could spool the wire.

You could pick , drag drop , scroll , do all the normal stuff you can do with a mouse , but by waving your hands in front of your face. It was ideal for a fighting game :boxing:

It was a cool system, but limited by the hardware and a simpliar system had to be used :thumbdown:

I watched minority report recently and wondered how long it would be before technology like that became a reality. Not that long by the looks of it :scare:

The only part I didnt like was the fact that the clear screens allowed people at the back of your monitor to see what was on your screen! :lol:

Guest prescience
yep, we use them for some of the more powerful machines. Think they did have a bit of a cut back though.

What did you do in the graphics bis

We were into real-time simulators running on SGs (from Impact, Octane through to Onyx and Power Onyx B) ). Produced real-time vis sims for the MoD (here and in Norway), Schiphol ATC and Flanders docks pliots amongst others. The biz went tits up at about the time SG were trying to move onto PC-based and they never quite got it right. We actually ended up using PC Quantum 3D boxes - sure they've gone too now :(

yep, we use them for some of the more powerful machines. Think they did have a bit of a cut back though.

We were into real-time simulators running on SGs (from Impact, Octane through to Onyx and Power Onyx B) ). Produced real-time vis sims for the MoD (here and in Norway), Schiphol ATC and Flanders docks pliots amongst others. The biz went tits up at about the time SG were trying to move onto PC-based and they never quite got it right. We actually ended up using PC Quantum 3D boxes - sure they've gone too now :(

Is all that in english? :scare:

sounds like fluent bollocks to me ;)

For people like me, yes.

For people like you .... not sure :headhurt:

For people like me, yes.

For people like you .... not sure :headhurt:

I always enjoyed the 3D battletank game on the SG's , much more fun than computational fluid dynamics. Geek alert! :tumbleweed: