Buying advice please - URGENT

Aizletree

In a small predicament.

Been slowly surfing the classifieds for a 350Z. This one has popped up on their website recently.

http://www.evanshalshaw.com/vehiclesear ... 06dhj.html

Does anybody know of this car? It's at Evans Halshaw bedford.

Gave them a call and been told that because of the time of year and the type of car it is going into a trade auction at midday tomorrow. I would need to put down a £250 deposit with intent to buy if condition as stated (need to get this fully of them from the phone in the morning). Considering it's going to trade I assume they are looking at taking a fair bit less than £12,000. Why are they shifting it on? Balance the books before 2011? Haven't been able to sell? Don't like it on their forecourt? Or its got a problem?

If I was to go down tomorrow morning at 8:30, run my eyes over the car, plump for £10,500 with 4 good tyres, 12 month MOT and FSH, all on condition of my own AA inspection, HPI check and test drive. If these all came back good and proper then what is their to lose? Obviously I'd be stupid to not do any of the above.

Any ideas chaps?

First time buying used too......

May just be rushing into it and don't want to be taken for a ride by the dealer due to the time pressures involved.

That's a very early MY06 facelift model - and with that mileage it looks like a great buy for the money you are thinking of. :thumbs:

But check out the service history carefully and get the usual checks done before parting with your money. ;)

I wouldn't touch it with a barge poll!!!!

Sorry, this is only my opinion on Evan Halshaw. I traveled a 600 mile round trip to look at a VERY similar 350z, which was described as immaculate, low millage and one owner. I was told it had been traded in against a new 370. When I got there it was a dog! The front looked like it had been driven for 300K miles on gravel tracks. I found a letter from the 1st owner complaining about some missed services (that now seem to appear in the log). I also found the phone number of THE SECOND owner, so gave him a call. He'd bought it from a trader and then sold it on to another trader. Therefore Evans had bought it trade and lied about its origin. Also, watch the warranty - the small print states max reimbursement of £250.. not worth the paper its written on. It's not just me, I have had friends tell me about similar experiences...

This is only my opinion, but there are loads of other places I'd look first...

Good luck, it's well worth finding a good one... awesome cars!

Evan Halshaw Mansfield is just as bad :bang: ...the sales person are shrewd and ruthless and the customer service are appalling. :boxing: People like Joanna from "Apprentice"(if you watch it) would fit in the organisation really well.

Don't make the same mistake some of us did..don't fall for the first 350Z u see..if something is not right..walk away :thumbs:

Have u had a look in the For Sale section on the forum here...a lot of us are careful owner and our Zed are well cared for.

I wouldn't touch it with a barge poll!!!!

Sorry, this is only my opinion on Evan Halshaw. I traveled a 600 mile round trip to look at a VERY similar 350z, which was described as immaculate, low millage and one owner. I was told it had been traded in against a new 370. When I got there it was a dog! The front looked like it had been driven for 300K miles on gravel tracks. I found a letter from the 1st owner complaining about some missed services (that now seem to appear in the log). I also found the phone number of THE SECOND owner, so gave him a call. He'd bought it from a trader and then sold it on to another trader. Therefore Evans had bought it trade and lied about its origin. Also, watch the warranty - the small print states max reimbursement of £250.. not worth the paper its written on. It's not just me, I have had friends tell me about similar experiences...

This is only my opinion, but there are loads of other places I'd look first...

Good luck, it's well worth finding a good one... awesome cars!

Well I'm only 15 miles from this car. My mum bought a new Focus ST from under the same roof in Ford and the Ford manager is a long term seller of cars to our family (sold Mum here new XR3i!). I know these are minor things but haven't had a problem with them yet....

Think I may drive up to have a look at it in the morning and go from there, as you say if I'm serious then they would pull it out of auction. Can get a second opinion on the car and take my time then if they do pull it out.

I've had a look on the DVLA and it is untaxed, so would want 12 months tax and MOT and all tyres and brakes etc sorted or recently done. Wonder if this is within their £12,000 estimate or what sort of hit they are planning at auction. Tax has been off for 2 weeks. Hmmmm puzzling.

Further digging by a friend has found it is registered at BCA tomorrow for auction. However, it is condition 3......

"Grade 3

The vehicle may require up to 3 bodyshop repairs to panels or bumpers. This may include missing or broken parts, minor items which will respond to ‘Smart Repair’ will be noted but not imaged

Note: Up to 3 images showing bodyshop repairs or replacement parts will be included"

So the excellent condition isn't so.

Damn it. Knew it would be too good to be true.

Further digging by a friend has found it is registered at BCA tomorrow for auction. However, it is condition 3......

"Grade 3

The vehicle may require up to 3 bodyshop repairs to panels or bumpers. This may include missing or broken parts, minor items which will respond to ‘Smart Repair’ will be noted but not imaged

Note: Up to 3 images showing bodyshop repairs or replacement parts will be included"

So the excellent condition isn't so.

Damn it. Knew it would be too good to be true.

seems reputations aren't earne dfor no reason at all.

The one I looked at in Evans was exactly the same - sold as immaculate, but blatantly abused (and probably clocked). Run away!

No good 350Z, only 3-4 years old should be going through an auction and need that amount of work. If it were a genuine car they'd have it polished up and out on their Nissan forecourt.

There are loads of fantastic examples out there.

If you want to pop down there in the morning i will come with you and give it a once over with you. I will pm you my mobile number and you can give me a ring if you decide to go :thumbs:

Mark

Thanks for your offer but I have a uni assessment later today and I believe the car to already be at BCA which is a trader's auction so I doubt we would even get in.

Cheers for replying so fast everybody, great bunch of people here.

P.S. All advice taken on board!

Morning all.

Well the car didn't sell at auction (either at their reserve or at all).

Went to see it yesterday with a mechanic friend. Hasn't been through workshop, only got it back friday night. Had a good look around it, went for a test drive and then they put it up on the ramps.

Rear tyres will be changed, if front's are less than 3 then they would be changed too, tbh they looked fairly close so I would argue they need to be done anyway.

Will have latest service done, has 5 already at nissan main dealer's in hatfield and watford.

Couple of stone chips in the usual places, what sort of cost to repair chips? (I have no idea)

Brake pads looked fairly meaty still. Discs look fine too.

Absolutely fine underneath, no rust and everything in good working order.

Test drive showed no noises or adverse handling.

Has nismo stone chip guards on the sills just before the rear arch, shows its been cared for.

Sat-nav disc was in the car file in accounts. Had a look at the reg document and the book, all checks out fine. Will run an HPI in a few minutes.

If that comes back clear I'm considering putting down the deposit on condition of the sat-nav and all electronics working and I'm happy with it after inspection once it has been through the workshop.

I assume I need to agree price before I put down a deposit? May be over the phone in this weather!

Has nismo stone chip guards on the sills just before the rear arch, shows its been cared for.

They've all got protective film on the sills before the rear arches - nothing "Nismo" about it, and if the garage have told you that they are lying through their teeth.

I'd still be careful - there will be a reason it didn't make reserve at the auction and car dealers generally know a dog when they see one.......

They've all got protective film on the sills before the rear arches - nothing "Nismo" about it, and if the garage have told you that they are lying through their teeth.

I'd still be careful - there will be a reason it didn't make reserve at the auction and car dealers generally know a dog when they see one.......

It has nismo branded film on there, not new.

I can't see anything wrong with it in the sense of appearance on bodywork, interior and advice from my friend on the underside which I saw too.

I have HPI'd it this morning and it's all clear apart from "unit stocking" finance from the dealer, the report says the use it to fund the vehicles on their forecourt. Only came back from BCA friday evening so they haven't had a chance to sort that out. The dealership is closed today and I will be there tomorrow morning to discuss all these things.

I know you referred to it as a dog, but with all of the above for general cars and then I checked for clicky axle, wheel bearing noise and the exhaust isn't blowing, what else is there?

I am trying to see the bigger picture here and listen to any advice given!

Thanks again

it possibly didn't sell as dealers find it hard to shift big expensive fuel drinking v6's in this current climate, and with all the snow, who wants to buy a rear wheel drive car.

if all seems sound and the gearbox is in good nick, the only thing i would be tempted with is to compression test the engine, if its got a full nissan service on the right times etc, then it should be alright.

the 350z has very few engine problems as long as its well looked after.

If you want to pop down there in the morning i will come with you and give it a once over with you. I will pm you my mobile number and you can give me a ring if you decide to go :thumbs:

;) An offer from a highly respected ZED owner on here that you might wish to see is still available