Samsung LCD TV trouble :(

BulletMagnet

This is one for all the techno geeks out there.

Yesterday mt LCD TV made a slight "zzzt" noise and then the picture went a bit dimmer, the white isn't white and there is alot of ghosting going on.

When I open the onscreen menu and exit after, you can still see the menu for about a minute after, like screen burn, but it does go away.

Only thing I can think of, is that the backlight element has gone, or one of them if there are more.

Anybody got any ideas?

The TV model is Samsung LE40M87BD.

Can anybody point me to the right spares that I may need to attempt a repair by myself?

Thanks all.

Generally speaking with electronics these days its more practical and often cheaper to just replace than repair.

The spec TV you've got you could replace for around £380 from Currys.........you could also use it as an opportunity to spec up and get an LED tv - depends how fussy you are on you technology but LED quality is pretty nuts.

I've got a 55" Sammy S7 LED and I love it, but go and look at the telly before you buy it. Places like Comet and Currys are brilliant for stuff like this, just go in really early on a Saturday or a boring Wednesday afternoon and take your favourite BD with you, and then get them to set the player up on various TVs until you find one that works for you.

I took Independence Day (lots of blacks and I love the film!) and my Xbox with Forza as well to test for gaming images.