Advice on skiing holiday in Canada for honeymoon

kevlo

Hi Guys and Girls, can anyone offer advice on where to go skiing for our honeymoon, although its our honeymoon i dont want it to cost mega money really. If anybody can offer there experiences on where they went etc would be much appreciated.

Ideally i would like to go somewhere with great skiing but within easy reach of a big city like toronto, montreal, calgary etc.

What my missus wants is skiing and cosying up in a lodge in the middle of a deep snow forest with bears (dont ask). What i want is all of the above but would like to be able to go and see metropolis as i love big buildings and cities etc.

thanks in advance

kev

Best place you can go if you want to visit Calgary is Banff quality place. Loads to do brilliant skiing just got back from that part of Canada on Tuesday and want to go back already. You have lake Louise as well just down the road approx 15 km for Banff. If you pick Banff you will definitely not be disappointed

My parents stayed in Chateau Lake Louise (upper suite with lake view) and Mum said it was one of the best views to wake up she has ever experienced.

They did a month in the Rockies a couple of years ago but never went near a ski slope.

I lived in canada for four years! I would say it depends on how good you are at skiing! Banff is good but it costs a bomb! I always stayed in canmore, at the falcon crest lodge! It's very nice however it's about a 40 min drive to the hills, but IMO the best skiing I done out there was at kicking horse! In golden, not the best town to stay in but the skiing is 2nd to none! And I will always go back there, better than any of the big 3! There are some good deals to be had there too.

Stay away from panorama it's to icy, lake Louise skiing is always very busy and sunshine is a bit flat!

Kicking horse is cheap and the runs are huge so if you don't ski black there are very few blue or green runs! However it's about a 90 min drive from canmore! However saying that I took me ex there and she had lessons paid for a group 5 day package and she had one to one instu for the full 5 days.

Lake louise lake is lovely to visit for the day and the hotel there is very nice! But does cost a bomb!

If you feel like doing something different I can recommend dog sledding, very good half day out I used mad dogs and English men, very chilled day out! And not to costly!

If you would like anymore info please feel free to pm me and we can chat on the phone!

Hope you have a great time I'm sure you will love it! :thumbs:

You will have a great time!

I went to Banff last year and it is a amazing place. A catered chalet can save you alot on going out and spending lots in resturants and if you can be flexiable with when you can go that helps to.

Lake louise is a little distance about 1 hour from memory but the skiing is great and the veiws are fantastic.

Sunshine village also has some of the best veiws and the skiing for me was the best. Norquay in Banff for me was a little boring but minutes away.

Do not forget other places like Breckenridge, Colorado. Been there 3 times and will go back, again a fantastic place to go to along with other ski resorts only a small bus journey away like Keystone.

Best of luck anyway.

Lake Louise

IMG_1624.jpg

Banff

IMG_1647.jpg

do they rent it out? :)

They do mate, if you want any more info give me a pm. It's a lovely place, only completed in late 2008, we went out there for the first time in January and it's stunning.

Have you got any pics and prices mate, as I might be interested too :)

They do mate, if you want any more info give me a pm. It's a lovely place, only completed in late 2008, we went out there for the first time in January and it's stunning.

Me tooooooo :thumbs:

Me tooooooo :thumbs:

I'll have a word with them later and pm you both :)

Hi

Done most places in both hemispheres in the last 30years, I have to say the best snow conditions for powder snow is in the USA, Breckenridge being one of the best.

Canada has a tendency to be very cold and icy and have had to wear masks there to keep out of the ice shear etc, looking a bit like something out of a chainsaw massacre film.

All I will say and its up to you I think the States on the average will be the best I have even skied down in Tucson on mount lemon in January and sunbathed in the afternoon on the same day at in the city at a temp of 80f absolute bliss.

Whatever you do a few pics will be nice, have a good one.

:wave: