Piggyback Devices

dunkster

Hey guys!

Im not sure if I will turbo the beast yet but im looking at piggback devices at the moment, in particular the Greddy E Manage ULTIMATE kit. Would i be getting much gains from this or not? Or is the standard ECU pretty good?

To be honest is it worth the 500 squids i have to pay for one?

All the best

Dunk

The standard ECU is actually very sophisticated. I would personally go with the UpRev software on the standard ECU, it's cheaper and better.

+1 super clever in my eyes.....self learning (nice!)

Multi maps, 155mph limiter removed, Improved throttle response, improved MPG - that speaks for itself really.

Hi dunkster, just saw your querry. Uprev is good just as UTEC ems or any standalone ECU eg haltech. It all comes down to costs !

In that respect Utec and Uprev are close. there a pros and cons to both but personally i went for UTEC for the resale advantage as it is plug and play while the Uprev is licenced to the original ECU so it can be complicated on selling time if you want to partout the car. no problems if you can manage to sell it on with everything on ;)

My UTEC has 4 maps ready tuned in which you can match to your mods so as not to require fine tuning but if you do need a fine tune its easy and takes about an hour and can be done by any tuner.

At £400 ono it matches the cost of Uprev ;)

see info here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=42560

If your going for a utec then Paul is selling his for £180 viewtopic.php?f=41&t=42557&p=628317#p628317 :)

Or you can buy my supposedly knackered one :p

Thanks Ian, Paul's asking price is very good but that ECU just like yours has not been proven to work or has maps ready to plug and play as my offer hence the asking price ;).

If your going for a utec then Paul is selling his for £180 viewtopic.php?f=41&t=42557&p=628317#p628317 :)

Or you can buy my supposedly knackered one :p

Thanks Ian, Paul's asking price is very good but that ECU just like yours has not been proven to work or has maps ready to plug and play as my offer hence the asking price ;).

I really don't think it's a good idea to take maps tailored for one car and then just swap it into another and expect everything to be ok. All engines react differently so require custom tuning. Also, I as I understand it UpRev is more sophisticated than a piggyback.

I think we could do with Abbey chipping in here to offer there thoughts as they know much more than me on this.

Before this degenerates into a d--k swinging contest :lol: i was just proposing another alternative to the OP spending his £500.

I expect to sell my kit around the £300-350 eventually so it is should be attractive IMO to the OP, leaving him with money for fine tuning his mods as there are already a few maps on the UTEC to play with or to go FI in future.

Uprev is very good and will cost similar money but to say it is better or more sofisticated than the UTEC or Greddy e-manage is just pointless. Moreso the UTEC is a very atypical piggyback the way it controls the car unlike other piggybacks which trick the cam/crank sensors to alter timing!

All i can say is just look at the popularity of the UTEC/ e-manage/unichip etc in the states and how often they are used to make big FI power as opposed to reflash eg Uprev and Technosquare which are more popular in optimising bolt-on NA tunes. This is because i suspect they run out of resolution as they are limited by the OEM ECU drivers. The OEM ecu is very good but was not designed for high Hp applications.

Bottom line it comes down to the tuner and your budget ;)

There are limitations to both if compared to a standalone and even the standalone is not without cons as OEM non essential functions maybe be disrupted.

So please be factual or offer objective advice :p

IMO you can't compare Uprev or Haltech to an UTEC system... for N/A I'd go Uprev and if I had a SC I'd go Uprev also... hey that's me... if I'd had the option I would have gone Uprev at the time I got the Haltech, my EMS is on the roadmap for the car so it's ok (roadmap seems to change though...)

I think a tuner should come on and comment on this... might stick up a new thread. It has been bashed a few times on my350z though...

Hey Anders i was not refering to you directly in my previous post.

But in anycase there will never be a correct answer for your question as there a so many variables eg mods, condition of the car's engine, skill of the tuner and preference of buyer.

That said most of the proven system in the market deliver results if well tuned so it comes down to budget.

For example, i know that the Haltech standalone is an awesome system and is not comparable to a reflash or piggyback as it offers more tuning possibility, but based on a subjective argument, am i right to say that its inferior because in the horsepower leaderboard thread your car made less power with similar mods (and more eg SSV) than other cars with Uprev relash or even mine with the UTEC? That would be nonsense don't you think?

Thats why i said we should make objective points rather than supposition or hearsay which is sometimes to easy in the forum and helps nobody :teeth:

your tune is fine :lol: I was just refering to how some people can make baseless assumptions by making senselss direct comparisons rather than end results or actual improvements.

I will bite your fingers off for the Haltech anytime or the SSV :p

I've been in contact with Mark at abbey and he was very helpful, one question I wanted to ask him but I'd forgot was, I've seen a few people say there may be issues with cold start and cruise control on some remaps, is this true with the uprev?

Many thanks for your help again guys!

I've been in contact with Mark at abbey and he was very helpful, one question I wanted to ask him but I'd forgot was, I've seen a few people say there may be issues with cold start and cruise control on some remaps, is this true with the uprev?

Good man, you shouldnt have with the tune if you do take it back :thumbs:

The uprev for me has done me proud. I have no issues at all, none, zilch, zero, nowt.

few people say there may be issues with cold start and cruise control on some remaps, is this true with the uprev

Where did this come from? remember we only tweak the stock map , so on a stock car we have no need to touch the stock cold start calibration. It is only when the injectors/air flow meter are changed that we have to play with the cold start calibration. But even big BHP cars we can get them to cold start like a stock car with a small amount of re calibration.

Cruise control works 100% traction works 100% ( not long till we can remap the traction thou)

Car is just like a stock car but better after a Uprev reflash.

Mark

few people say there may be issues with cold start and cruise control on some remaps, is this true with the uprev

Where did this come from? remember we only tweak the stock map , so on a stock car we have no need to touch the stock cold start calibration. It is only when the injectors/air flow meter are changed that we have to play with the cold start calibration. But even big BHP cars we can get them to cold start like a stock car with a small amount of re calibration.

Cruise control works 100% traction works 100% ( not long till we can remap the traction thou)

Car is just like a stock car but better after a Uprev reflash.

Mark

Mark I think he's talking about other tuning devices/ways and wondering if Uprev can cause similar issues.

How's the EIRE push for getting an Uprev tuner going?