Aesthetic mods

captint

A question to start some form of debate.

I can understand modding a car for performance and some external enhancements wheels, decent kits etc, but so many modded cars just look really crap, I would also guess some owners have spent 1000's getting a car to look a certain way. Now I think to a reasonable degree I have good taste, so why do people chav up decent cars beyond recogintion so that they look like a $5 tuc tuc?

Answers on a postcard please B)

A question to start some form of debate.

I can understand modding a car for performance and some external enhancements wheels, decent kits etc, but so many modded cars just look really crap, I would also guess some owners have spent 1000's getting a car to look a certain way. Now I think to a reasonable degree I have good taste, so why do people chav up decent cars beyond recogintion so that they look like a $5 tuc tuc?

Answers on a postcard please B)

I agree mate. The Nismo kit is as far as I'd go. I think there maybe other kits out there that may be more appealing but the fact they aren't Nismo /Nissan is a big factor for me. :blush:

The nismo kit is the only kit which looks decent on a 350Z IMHO, but then again. The 350Z is a very beautiful car and doesnt actually "need" this kit to look nice. The problem is most "tuners" buy a piece of sh*t on wheels and think it will look nice when bolting some spoilers on it :wacko:. Its like taking some girl which weighs 150kg, putting "designer" clothes on her and then claiming she looks as good or even better than lets say Alyssa Milano. B)

Most of the kits are just chav in my opinion. The Nismo adds a bit of beef to the cars looks, which isnt necessarily better than standard, just different.

I've added some body parts, purely for functional reasons. I needed more room in my front airdam for an oil cooler, so changed the front bumper. I added skirts and some spats at the rear to keep the car all one height, all round.

Alot of the stick on parts, look just that.

You would have thought that people would have worked out by adding to sometimes a ridiculous extent, 6 exhaust, whale tails, those wierd bumpers and skirts that look like the horse and cart from Nosferatu, that the extra weight just makes a crap car slower!!

There is a guy here who parks his car in the street where i work. He has this BMW 3 series E36, with those cool "M3" mirrors, 4 exhausts the size that would fit over your head, a bumper kit, lowered and all that @*!#. And on the badge of the back it says: "318tds" :scare:

You can imagine what that thing sounds like .... A diesel with a sports exhaust :wacko:

but the fact they aren't Nismo /Nissan is a big factor for me. :blush:

You fashion victim :p

As for why do people mod things - There are various factors 1 being inviduality. What you might think looks crap someone else might well like. You only have to look at the clothes people wear to see how large a range of tastes there are.

A good example is the Max Power 350z - I love the styling and colour of the outside but I think the inside is aweful.

Also some people enjoy doing the modifications. I try and do as much as I physically can myself as I enjoy the process whether its bodywork , stereo, machanical etc etc.

It would be easy to say. Whats the point of modifying an engine? Its not as if you are going to get to your destination any quicker as the laws prevent that. If you are going out on a track why not get a proper track car and play around with that like an Elise/Caterham.

Same with stereos - some thing - why bother

but the fact they aren't Nismo /Nissan is a big factor for me. :blush:

You fashion victim :p

As for why do people mod things - There are various factors 1 being inviduality. What you might think looks crap someone else might well like. You only have to look at the clothes people wear to see how large a range of tastes there are.

A good example is the Max Power 350z - I love the styling and colour of the outside but I think the inside is aweful.

Also some people enjoy doing the modifications. I try and do as much as I physically can myself as I enjoy the process whether its bodywork , stereo, machanical etc etc.

It would be easy to say. Whats the point of modifying an engine? Its not as if you are going to get to your destination any quicker as the laws prevent that. If you are going out on a track why not get a proper track car and play around with that like an Elise/Caterham.

Same with stereos - some thing - why bother

Its inviduality has its place, however my examles and the mods i,m thinking of, mean that those individuals should keep their personal style behind bars

Modding an engine for performance reasons is totally different,

A) you may be doing what the manufactorer should have done it the first place.

B) If having a faster car doesnt get you anywhere quicker, lets all by a 2CV

C) You may want to track it but can't afford to run a track car as well and want to have the benefit of comfort in your everyday drive.

Don't mix up quality and style, with cheap tack and bad taste :p

B) If having a faster car doesnt get you anywhere quicker, lets all by a 2CV

I bet in a 350z I would get back to my parents (1hr) no quicker than Mr £2000 Mondeo man without driving way over the limit

the 2CV is a bit of an extreme. It all comes down to preferances - some are happy to waste/spent an extra 10K on quick acceleartion while others think its pointless and enjoy a 6 month holiday instead.

ou may be doing what the manufactorer should have done it the first place.

lol That could used to qualify any sort of mod be it performance, cosmetic, audio etc.

I am not one for badly modded cars! However done right and tastefully (the main word here!) a car can look amazing.

Nismo have done it good to compliment the styling and curves of the stock Zed, however there are other kits that just spoil everything about it!

I was once told that i should mod my MG and put some mad stuff on it such as below:

DSC02847.jpg

DSC02853.jpg

However i felt the front bumper did not suit the sides properly and the back was just plain wrong!

I wanted to kit my MG up like below, subtle yet different sleek and the lines compliment everthing that the original MG ZR has

167DSCN4307.JPG

I was going to do this as it would look amazing in Black, however i am selling so no point really :teeth:

See all comes down to views - i.e. I would never go with a Nismo kit as I think the rear bumper bits like look like some stuck on after thought. They should have done it properly and designed it all in to a replacement bumper.

The side skirts I am also not too fond of as I don't think they compliment any of the shapes on the car.

The front bumper however do I like and would put on as a single piece.

i also bought my car with the intentions of modifing, i have done it with my cars in the past and have always took my time to find the right mods to hopfully compliment the cars shape and to make it more individual from the rest, i take my cars to various shows so alway like to keep on top the matainence (like getting front bumpers resprayed, waxing etc..)

i do believe that you only get what you pay for and have found this out on a few occasions when i thought i was getting a good deal but turned out to be cheap crap. :rant:

once i have sold my integra i will be modding the Z for next years show season...nothing too lairy

hey at the end of the day you cant please everone as long as you please yourself ;)

I think there is a big difference in:

- Changing the body kit of a sports car (within reasonable limits, eg, other bumpers on a Porsche, or a 350z ...)

or

- Trying to convert your car into what's it not (eg. taking an Opel Corsa and putting spoilers and bodykit on it in the hope it will resemble a sports car) ...