Squeaky brakes??

djrm

Hi guys

When stopping at low speed, my brakes seem to squeal quite a bit... they still work fine and make no noise at higher speeds, only at low..

Is this common? I know they are bigger brakes than most cars etc...

I will be checking the pads later, could it be that?

Thanks

Ryan

• 1 month later...

Try and stay away from any grease near pad materials if they contaminate the material this will cause more problems....something like a anti squeal kit should suffice

click here

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/brake_noise/no ... d_in.shtml

New disc pads take some time to bed down, even if you are using new or turned rotors and during this time when the pad is bedding in to match exactly the geometry of the rotor the pads can make noise.

The normal way to minimise this is to add noise reduction shims onto the reverse side of the pads which dampens the vibration caused by the pad which will "Chatter" slightly when not seated perfectly.

This noise would go away after 300-500 miles but to avoid irritation noise shims are used to reduce this sound.

There is no safety issue when a pad makes these noises during bed in, it is merely a cosmetic problem of the new brakes.

You can obtain these from www.brakes4u.co.uk you would need part number ASK1

Hope this helps

sorry but is it not standard practice to grease the rear of the pad? its pretty obvious not to get grease on the friction material

I think he means keep it away from the friction material, not the pad entirely. You are fine to grease the backing plate of the pad, just keep it away from braking surface ;)

sorry not worded correctly here you go this might make sense lol

“Molybdenum Sulphide greases are not recommended by EBC brakes on any part of a brake system because of their very abrasive particle content and their low thixotropism (means they are thin) . Also their low melting point means they can, in our experience migrate under vibration onto brake pads or the rotor hub and then “Spin out†up onto the pad surface. EBC has received numerous sets of returned brake pads and discs that showed streak lines where the grease had radiated out from the hub and pads that were black and polished on the surface and low in friction .After analysis the pads were found to have absorbed sulphides from such greases.â€

The only time i use grease is to lubricate the caliper sliders i have never smeared any onto the rear of the pad.in the bedding procedure you can sometimes get minor noises which occur in early pad life...bedding in procedure is normally 500 miles also you can get pad noise from some pads that do not have a chamfers these do help to reduce low speed brake noise.Also the bed in coating EBC apply to alot of there pads also helps to bed pads in quickly and again to reduce brake noise.

But i suppose if grease works for you then dont change something that isnt broke :thumbs:

Sorry mate I'm not trying to be an arse but I'm just curious to what I should be using as copper grease has been a solution since my dads days in motoring lol.

What should we be using?

Neil, stop getting your panties in a twist mate. :lol::lol::lol:

Of course you have got to use copper slip - copper grease - squeal ease to help eliminate brake pad squeal caused by contact of the caliper piston and the rear of the brake pad.

Most of this stuff is good to very high temperatures and providing you have not applied it with a ladle and you have not been to liberal with the application to the rear of the pad then all will be good and it will not disperse onto the friction material.

If you are running big power and require something which will handle extreme temperatures then I would recommend PBC (Poly Butyl Cuprysil) which is good for up to 1200 degrees C :thumbs: This is what I use but any of the other stuff previously mentioned or similar will be fine for your track beasty :thumbs:

Im not saying you cant i dont personally use anything and have never had a problem.

But i was just pointing out how careful you have to be mate you can contaminate the pad material without realising once this has happend then the trouble begins most people do still use it with a little finger nail splodge on caliper piston and the rear of the brake pad.....

But have to say to elimanate this i dont use it and have never had a problem most of the pads that i have fitted(EBC as this it what i retail in)have the shim fitted....along time ago i had EBC greens and had squeal problems explained what i had done.....this is when EBC sent me another set and told me to fit them without which i did and guess what no squeal....so ever since i havent used it lol

• 2 months later...
Is applying a bit of grease an easy thing to do as my brakes are a bit noisy at low speeds too... gets embarrassing :blush:

Is it a wheel off job and would I need to know much about what I'm doing , because I don't :surrender:

I would think that even you Dave will manage this. :lol::lol::lol:

It is a wheel off jobbie and the pads will have to removed one by one and a light smear of grease on the rear of the pad is all that is required.

Alex. :)