A new breed of clunk?

Ricey

Ok.........please don't bleed from the eyes because you so bored of people asking about clunks. I've held off for a month and tried to burrow my way through the other clunk posts but I cant pin it down.

The 'clunk' sounds like a large ball bearing being dropped on a piece of wood..... a fairly dull noise. I'm pretty sure it comes from the rear passenger side.

Its not constant but on a bouncy bit of road it will make it more than once (potentially a clunckclunk!!). Its deffo not clicky axle and its deffo a clunk not a click or a creak. The stuff in the boot/wheel is all nice and tight.

I can't make the clunk happen (swerving or turning sharply, slowly, wide) but it will happen on every journey.....I think it happens more when the car bounces up and down as opposed to any side to side shifting that the road might cause :shrug: .

I'm going to use my new axle stands at the weekend (lets hope budget ebay axle stands doesn't = squished Ricey) to have a peek underneath but as I'm a mechanical spod does anyone have an bits check that could make a dull clunck.......I'm thinking exhaust but I'm almost sure its from the left hand side.

My mate had a listen and thinks it'll be nothing and not to worry about it but its making my nips itch its that annoying. :angry:

video the axle stand procedure and post on failblog :D

If its successful then it will be really boring and if its a true squishing fail then both of my arms and most of my torso will be severed and I'll be unable to post it.

Suppose I could ask Carla to film and it post it up before she uncontrolably weeps at the fact I scratched her paint work with an exposed rib...........

SOME 'DAD' ADVICE URGENTLY REQUIRED!

Such a newbie question but hey ho its better than causing a foul up......

I've given everything a good yank and it all seems well and truly fixed (banana bar is a bit rusty but doesn't budge, ARB droplinks, exhaust ETC all solid) so I was going to have a crack at greasing anything that I can get me mitts on.

So as I don't have immediate access to a dad who would normally answer this question I need some salty mech to provide the advice......so - cooper slip..... can this be used to 'grease' bits up? Or is there a particular greasy type of grease I need to use. :shrug:

I was going to have a crack after the Derby so you have t-minus 3 hours to reply!.........If you support the redsh*te you need not reply ;)

Spray some grease into the droplinks. you will need to ease the rubber gaiters out the way, but they are an easy push over..., I just sprayed anything to do with the suspension. Also, have you checked the top of the shocks to make sure the bolts/nuts are tight?

Spray some grease into the droplinks. you will need to ease the rubber gaiters out the way, but they are an easy push over..., I just sprayed anything to do with the suspension. Also, have you checked the top of the shocks to make sure the bolts/nuts are tight?

I haven't checked the shocks.....assume they are accessed via the boot?

I'll nip to hellfords and get some spray grease then if the copper slip is no good. :thumbs:

I haven't checked the shocks.....assume they are accessed via the boot?

I'll nip to hellfords and get some spray grease then if the copper slip is no good. :thumbs:

Copper snot is too thick to seep into places. I think the tops of the shocks are accessed through the boot somewhere but how, i dont know. shouldnt be too hard though.

Keep us posted. :lol:

Apologies if I state the obvious but.... Have you checked the glove box for anything loose and heavy? I have read the replies in this post but not the link so apologies if thats been suggested there.

I made the mistake of putting my locking wheel nut key in there and it can make a similar noise to what you are describing and it could be something similar.

Ohh and 2-0 one side of the office is evry quiet this morning :D

I haven't seen how the suspension is made up on the Z as I have have only just got mine. But I had a clunk caused by worn track rod ends on my golf which was my last car, drove me mad until I found what it was. If you cars got low miles it probably not the track rod ends but if its more than say 50k maybe worth a look? I checked by jacking up the side in question and grabbing the wheel either side and pushing and pulling to see if there was an slop, when I drove the car I would hear clunking with no obvious pattern.

Apologies if I state the obvious but.... Have you checked the glove box for anything loose and heavy? I have read the replies in this post but not the link so apologies if thats been suggested there.

I made the mistake of putting my locking wheel nut key in there and it can make a similar noise to what you are describing and it could be something similar.

Ohh and 2-0 one side of the office is evry quiet this morning :D

I have done mate - checked all the cubbys and wheel, jack ETC. I'm going to have a crack with the spray grease when I get 5 mins.

They were so poor I didn't even have the heart to have a go at one in the office today.

I haven't seen how the suspension is made up on the Z as I have have only just got mine. But I had a clunk caused by worn track rod ends on my golf which was my last car, drove me mad until I found what it was. If you cars got low miles it probably not the track rod ends but if its more than say 50k maybe worth a look? I checked by jacking up the side in question and grabbing the wheel either side and pushing and pulling to see if there was an slop, when I drove the car I would hear clunking with no obvious pattern.

Its only got 29k on it but I have everything under their a good yank and everything felt solid as a rock. If my greasing doesn't work I'll whip it in the garage sometime.

Cheers all :thumbs:

Finally got round to it today (not deterred by my pop charger incident) .

Everything is now greasier than a chippendales crotch and what do you know.......knock has abated. Heard it once in a 30min journey as opposed to every bump in the road.

Cheers every one for the advice. :thumbs: