Import from America - tax/duty question

MattMe

Hi guys,

I'm looking at importing a Gibson guitar from America as I can get a good price including delivery. However, it just dawned on me that I may be stung with import tax or duty or whatever they call 'raping' me.

Is there anyway of finding out if, and how much I will be liable to pay. Is it on everything imported from the US? Can I not get around this at all?

Cheers for any ideas.

Pick a number, divide by 24, add your age and then put your phone number on the end. That's as close as you'll get to working out the customs charges. ;)

You will be liable, and it'll be roughly +10% of the value of the goods (including postage) and then 17.5% VAT on top of that, and then £20 handling fee max as well. That's only a guide, but it's not going to be far off that. Don't try and get around it by asking the sender to mark down the value of the package as then that's all you'll be insured for if it turns up damaged.

Pick a number, divide by 24, add your age and then put your phone number on the end. That's as close as you'll get to working out the customs charges. ;)

You will be liable, and it'll be roughly +10% of the value of the goods (including postage) and then 17.5% VAT on top of that, and then £20 handling fee max as well. That's only a guide, but it's not going to be far off that. Don't try and get around it by asking the sender to mark down the value of the package as then that's all you'll be insured for if it turns up damaged.

So what if they sent me a gift?

So if I bought a guitar for £500 +10% =£550 + 17.5% = £646.25...

Well feck that then! May as well buy one from here. Robbing bar stewards! Good job I asked, because I was going to spend more than £500 on importing one...

You will need to pay import duty and VAT on the "landed cost" i.e. the total inc postage.

The carrier (DHL / fedex etc) will also make an "admin" charge to pay this to HMRC on your behalf, and wont give you your item till you pay it.

Import duty depends on the item but AFAIK 3% for musical instrument.

So if the guitar is £1000 shipped, then you will pay:

import duty £30

then VAT on £1030 = £180.25

then admin charge from courier ~£20

Total £1230.25

If there is anything wrong with it when it arrives you will have a nightmare getting everything back.

Best way to import one is to have a mate bring you one back. Musical instruments often carried for free by airlines. If its worth less than £390 they can walk throught he blue customs lane with nothing to fear

Most travellers can bring other goods into the UK

worth up to £390 (e.g. perfume and electrical

goods) without paying duty and / or tax in the UK.

I brought a used Master Cylinder for my Motorbike from the US. Cost me £23 on e-bay, I got charged somethiung like £2.30 import tax, pretty sure I paid VAT but that too was a small amount, the stinger was the £12 handling fee from Royal Mail

Yeah, I think when you're looking at a £500 item, it would work out at about £650 (for a musical instrument), which is about what they'd be worth in the UK, if not slightly more. So I'm just going to keep my eyes open over here for now.

You do have to pay tax/duty on used or refurbed goods, just the same. Even 'gifts' over £40 incur similar charges, so in this case it's just not worth it.

Damn!

Good job I got out-bid then! :blush: