tucking in for the winter

UNABASHED

I've seen a few of you garage queens are already putting the zed to bed for the colder months. I'm getting my company car in a couple of weeks so wont be driving the zed half as much, and certainly not in the snow!

I don't have a garage in my new house that I will (hopefully!) be in for November so if I keep it in the garage is it worth investing in a car cover?

I've always been a little worried about the covers scratching the paintwork, does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations of any?

i asked this question on dw forum recently and the answer was 110% dont do it as the cover can scratch the car.

to minimise you could make sure the car was as clean as possible to stop the cover rubbing any dirt into the paint etc.

i chose not to risk it as you can never get it perfectly clean and as the wind moves the cover around its going to be rubbing the paint.

just my opinion i'm trying to organise having a car port built to keep the rain etc off it

i asked this question on dw forum recently and the answer was 110% dont do it as the cover can scratch the car.

to minimise you could make sure the car was as clean as possible to stop the cover rubbing any dirt into the paint etc.

i chose not to risk it as you can never get it perfectly clean and as the wind moves the cover around its going to be rubbing the paint.

just my opinion i'm trying to organise having a car port built to keep the rain etc off it

ooh car port could be a nice project!

Hi there, I know exactly what you mean, been through the same situation.....

Here is what did, although I do have a car port as well...

Firstly I enquired into the genuine 350z covers and realised that they were NOT waterproof and NOT breathable....and the fact that they were 300 £ Plus put me off a bit...

So i shopped and shopped and shopped until i came across this (se link below)....

http://www.coveryourcar.co.uk/store/pro ... 563&page=1

I bought this about 3 months ago and I can honestly say it is fantastic.....No condensation on the inside, if it rains heavy, the paintwork is still perfectly dry....I would recommend this ALTHOUGH I dont use the car over winter at all and the car port shields some of the wind.....

This really is waterproof, breathable and I can assume you, if you polish and wax your car before you put this cover on, it does NOT scratch it.....

I'm going to state the obvious and just say for the love of god stay away for the crap on Ebay!!!!!!! I bought one that I believe was 'tailor made' to cover the MX5........it could literally of covered a sherman tank and promptly blew off in the wind!

.......probably made by the same company that brough us 'rear seat covers for the 350Z'.

Is that waterproof and suitable for outdoor use?

Does it have a soft lining to prevent scratching?

Waterproof - Yes

Soft lining - not sure what you mean, I think as long as you didnt chuck it around on the floor to pick up crap it will be fine, there is nothing that could scrath apart from the metal rings either side to secure it and they are well stitched in :thumbs:

when i say scratch the car, i dont mean massively noticeable scratches. i mean little tiny ones that cause swirls in the paint. the sort you get if you were to take the car through a car wash or wash it with a sponge in dirty water etc.

i still wouldnt recommend getting a car cover. the slightest bit of grit or muck thats left on your car then the car cover will rub it against the paintwork causing tiny surface scratches

post-6147-135011893419_thumb.jpg

the above picture above shows a car that isnt scratched but the paint is in a bad way more likely a result of incorrect wash technique or automatic car washes etc. this is what i mean by swirl marks etc. without that powerful light on the paint wouldnt look scratched just dull in comparison to the paint on the left.

this is just my opinion but i think its worth mentioning so people can make an informed decision

when i say scratch the car, i dont mean massively noticeable scratches. i mean little tiny ones that cause swirls in the paint. the sort you get if you were to take the car through a car wash or wash it with a sponge in dirty water etc.

i still wouldnt recommend getting a car cover. the slightest bit of grit or muck thats left on your car then the car cover will rub it against the paintwork causing tiny surface scratches

Nope not even any swirl marks. The car is always spotless when i put the car away for winter. I normally give it a major clean and wax before fitting the cover. ;)

My car will be on the drive and not in a garage, more chance of paintwork damage?

thats what i was getting at, the wind and rain would cause the cover to move.. what the other guys are saying though is if your car is absolutely spotless and your confident about that then theres no harm in doing it.