The Not So Smart HTC Desire

Beavis

After ridiculing people who have these dam smart phones i finally gave in the other week and got the highly regarded HTC Desire to replace my ageing Sony-Ericsson K800i. Now i always use my phone for an alarm clock and for years i have always set my alarm and then switched my phone off for the night so as not to be disturbed, yes i know i can put it on silent (but i might as well switch it off instead in that case) and every morning it has been clever enough to switch itself on and sound the alarm. So why the hell cant this all singing all dancing so called smart phone do the same thing with its fancy android software? :wacko:

The desire does not have the best battery life in the world and if i forget and leave my charger at work and set my alarm before bed then i can conserve a little energy by switching it off until the alarm goes off next morning. I am gobsmacked to find that this £400 phone cant do this simple task :surrender:

You want to watch the HTC desire phones, we have one in the office on a 500Mb data package....... it regularly uses 800+Mb a month.... they seem to have a mind of their own when it comes to data usage.

The same settings on an iPhone uses about 300Mb a month :surrender:

Anyone know why this happens?

You want to watch the HTC desire phones, we have one in the office on a 500Mb data package....... it regularly uses 800+Mb a month.... they seem to have a mind of their own when it comes to data usage.

The same settings on an iPhone uses about 300Mb a month :surrender:

Anyone know why this happens?

There are some funky issues with Android and how it handles idle applications and cleaning up unused memory. It never seems to shut closed applications down, but leaves them running in the background (presumably so they start faster). There's a good chance they're constantly downloading data as they're running in the background.

They recently ran some tests and most Android apps are continually sending your location/usage data back to the app owner / advertisers. Although Apple are accused of being over zealous with their App Store checks, it stops most of this.

my one I think can do the alarm whne turned off, will try it now....

mine is a unbranded one not owned by some company... might be different. Latest update makes battery life better much better. i turn off all automatic syncs like weather, mail, fb, tweet, etc etc etc... and manually sync when I need to read stuff. Also make sure the display is set to "automatic" to save more power :)

Love my desire. Just upgraded to the Android 2.2 anwhat a upgrade.

Dave, stop being a big girl and put the phone on silent. One of the best phones around.

If you have any battery issues just you tube them for all Tips

there should be an auto power off/on feature. let me know if you can't find it in the options cause i was thinking about getting one. One of the things i love about my blackberry is the option to auto switch off/on at specified times.

Electronic device doesn't work when switched off! Strange one :bleh:

Seriously though, If you are having trouble with battery life then enter *#*#4636#*#* into the phone, then check battery history, then change the top option to "partial wake usage", this will tell you of any apps that are not letting the phone "sleep". Then simply delete the apps using menu>settings>applications>manage applications.

The phone will manage battery life fine by itself, you do not need "app killer" etc, some people have actually found these type of apps to cause the phone to be partially awake.

Ps, give the Music Wizard app a try from the market place. It allows you to download any music track straight to your phone, no accounts or user name and password required. Love this app :cloud9:

So why did my 4 year old previous electronic device work then when switched off? Its quite normal for a phone to start up automatically when a alarm has been set ;)

So why did my 4 year old previous electronic device work then when switched off? Its quite normal for a phone to start up automatically when a alarm has been set ;)

at least you know when you turn it off nobody can trace and track you :blush:

After ridiculing people who have these dam smart phones i finally gave in the other week and got the highly regarded HTC Desire to replace my ageing Sony-Ericsson K800i. Now i always use my phone for an alarm clock and for years i have always set my alarm and then switched my phone off for the night so as not to be disturbed, yes i know i can put it on silent (but i might as well switch it off instead in that case) and every morning it has been clever enough to switch itself on and sound the alarm. So why the hell cant this all singing all dancing so called smart phone do the same thing with its fancy android software? :wacko:

The desire does not have the best battery life in the world and if i forget and leave my charger at work and set my alarm before bed then i can conserve a little energy by switching it off until the alarm goes off next morning. I am gobsmacked to find that this £400 phone cant do this simple task :surrender:

I also gave in to the smart phones and got a SE Xperia, which has the same problem of the alarm not working when the phone is off. Battery life is also only good for a day! Not totally convinced by smart phones yet...

Mine upgraded to Android 2.2 OTA (Over The Air) about a month ago, and it started having reboot issues - it would suddently turn off and get into a reboot cycle where it would start, display the splash screen, reboot, start, display the splash screen, reboot, etc etc.

Only happened once in a while though, and infrequently enough to put up with it.

However, last week another OTA upgrade came through and that's caused it to reboot constantly - it never starts up, it just keeps rebooting - so beware when you do the upgrades guys! It's been with HTC for the past week to be "serviced" thopugh I have a feeling they'll just flash it back down to the original software version... :rant: