Refurbishing wheel centres (my effort)

rtbiscuit

I have recently purchased some new wheels for my car, they are 2nd had and they do need a refurbish to remove the curb rash it has. but for now as its winter swiftly approaching i'm going to leave that till spring.

for me though the tatty wheel centres were bothering me. the curb rash i can hide easy enough for now but the fact that water had got under the laquer on the whel centres made them look like this

IMAG0010.jpg

So i decided to give them a refresh for now. i had a few odds and sods lying around so set about this little project.

firstly i sanded them back with 240 grit wet and dry paper to remove the rough laquer and to give a flat surface to work on.

P1010523.jpg

it made them look flat and dull and had removed a little of the text. some of the laquer was still on them, but this wasn't an issue as i wasn't painting them. i still had a roll of DI-NOC 3M carbon vinyl lying around in the garage so thought i would put it to good use.

P1010524.jpg

these were my tools

P1010527.jpg

P1010528.jpg

the first job was to set it into squares about half as large again as the actual centres. i heat boht the centre cap and the vinyl up before i apply it first

P1010526.jpg

the next job is to use the heat to keep it soft and then work it around the item. i tend to do the top first, and then stretch and tug the rest down as i go around the edge.

P1010529.jpg

i then trim up the vinyl and remove the excess waste

P1010530.jpg

i then go back round with the heat and several tools and my finger nail, and work the vinyl in between the 2 halves i.e the ally section and the plastic. then just very carefully i run a blade round and trim off the waste.

P1010531.jpg

which leaves me something that looks like this

P1010525.jpg

after about 30 minutes i ended up with these

P1010532.jpg

P1010533.jpg

next job was to run up some new logos for the front, this took alot longer as i had to draw it from scratch, but once done the vinyl cutter made short work of it and i had cut several colour options. i did red, silver, and white. in the end i decided silver was the best option

P1010541.jpg

quick application later and the finished articles

P1010545.jpg

P1010542.jpg

P1010543.jpg

P1010544.jpg

i'm unsure how long they'll last and it is a temporary measure. if it doesn't work out it will peel off and i can always paint them instead and re logo them.

That looks a nice tidy project there. :thumbs: You could spray clear laquer on them too seal it all up. :shrug:

glad you mention that, i had the same idea but i decided to do a tester first; i wrapped a random item on my desk, not the best work, but it wasn't the work i was interested in but what would happen if i laquered it

here is the usb stand pre laquer

P1010534.jpg

and here are several shots afterwards.

P1010535.jpg

P1010536.jpg

P1010537.jpg

P1010538.jpg

P1010539.jpg

as you can see most of the detail is lost once you add the laquer, it also doesn't harden the vinyl either and has a habit of lifting edges, part of that is a poor fit on my behalf, but the laquer doesn't seem to help.

Lots of people have talked about laquering this stuff, but no one has actually done it. so i thought i would do a trial and at least there is a definitive answer.

i could do a clear vinyl overlay might do a trial first and see what it looks like, i think the dinoc relies on how it reflects light off its surfaces for texture. when you fill it with laquer it kills the light. so would be interesting to see if a clear overlay would work.