SC - wossit sound like ?

liffy99

I've only ever driven one SC car before (BMW 330i Schnitzer) and it just whistled all the time - quite novel when pushing the pace a bit but really irritating when just cruising steadily down the motorway.

Was this just a bad one - do SCs always whine so much (a bit like the original Mad Max car).

Seen a Stillen conversion for sale but it's a long way from me in Northampton to just nip up on the off chance.

Youtube is your friend. There are a few vids on there of various set ups.

It very much depends on the setup and supercharger ie centrifugal like the vortech or roots/ twinscrew like the stillen. The Stillen would sound like you would imagine a SC to sound like, ie a powerful whine like the ones used in most OEM supercharged engines.

My experience with the Vortech (centrifugal) one is a strange sound, sort of a cross between a SC and turbo.

It has a mechanical 'rattle' at idle.

When cruising at low around town speeds with not much throttle it 'whistles' like a small jet engine.

When at speed on partial throttle it 'shhhshes' from the unused air escaping from the bypass valve.

When at WOT it sounds :cloud9: Kind of a 'loud whining induction roar' followed by a very loud 'Tshhh' from the bypass valve when lifting off or changing gear.

On my setup the exhaust is very quiet, so all the SC noises are very audible. I imagine with a louder exhaust you would stuggle to hear anything but the bypass valve.

I haven't had a chance to do a vid yet but its on my list. :)

*****Edit***** see below for vid.

• 2 weeks later...