Diff replacecement

andlid

What diff should I look to get to replace my... NONE EXISTENT diff!

What type should I look to get? geared or clutch type? Will be using it very seldom on the road (thinking on going full track with it actually) and mostly be sweating on the track, as far as I know the geared comes with lifetime warranty and does not have any need to change parts etc like the clutch type does. Was thinking on getting a Quaife diff since it'll fit my non lsd type diff at the moment.

Any tips/hints ideas?

cheers

A

:wacko: wow got two names nothing esle :lol:

To be honest don't think Nismo is the way since I'd need to get a standard nissan 350z lsd first and then swap in the nismo stuff, also heard it eats the clutch/flywheel...

Think Quaife is the way for me but want to hear some other routes and also WHY I should not get one :D

Dave, Bill and Steve

Three more! :thumbs:

Not something I've looked into but there are a few UK cars with aftermarket diffs fitted.

Something that might be answered better in the US as a lot of their cars don't have an LSD as far as know.

Dave, Bill and Steve

Three more! :thumbs:

Not something I've looked into but there are a few UK cars with aftermarket diffs fitted.

Something that might be answered better in the US as a lot of their cars don't have an LSD as far as know.

:shrug: dont get the name stuff

Mmm might stick one up, only thing is there it gets a bit heated very quickly :D

I think your options are limited if you don't already have the viscous lsd pumkin. I reckon the Quaife is probably the best way to go in this instance - less work to install/set-up - I'm sure someone like Adam in Z1 would have the most experience in suggesting a diff for an non-lsd Zed.

from looking at the my350z forum it looks to be the best option...

Anlid,

The trouble with a well set up plate diff is they can snatch on tight low speed corners , they require maintenance, they get super hot when used on a track (so much I would advise a diff cooler for extended track work)

A Quaife will work best for a road car , they dont snatch like a plate diff , they dont wear out like a plate type diff. And are a reasonable price.

Mark

Anlid,

The trouble with a well set up plate diff is they can snatch on tight low speed corners , they require maintenance, they get super hot when used on a track (so much I would advise a diff cooler for extended track work)

A Quaife will work best for a road car , they dont snatch like a plate diff , they dont wear out like a plate type diff. And are a reasonable price.

Mark

What type of coolers are there on the market for the Z? Wouldnt dare to think how hot it does get, neither how hot the engine oil gets either.

Can you price me up a diff (Quaife & Cooler kit?)

Cheers

A

(there goes the Christmas presents... :evil: )

To be honest don't think Nismo is the way since I'd need to get a standard nissan 350z lsd first and then swap in the nismo stuff, also heard it eats the clutch/flywheel...

Think Quaife is the way for me but want to hear some other routes and also WHY I should not get one :D

The NISMO is a direct drop in replacement for a base (non LSD) car with manual transmission.

Quaife is nice, I use one now myself, but less than ideal if track use is the primary motive (especially on r compounds), as the Quaife only works with both wheels on the ground. The problem is, Z's tend to lift the inside drive wheel and when that happens, you are back to having an open diff. The clutch type, like a NISMO, affords you adjustability in terms of lockup %, and it always works, no matter what. Downside is they are not quite as kind at very low speeds on the road (ie, 3 point turns, or pulling into or out of a parking spot). Alot can be mitigated by different fluids, but it will do it to some degree. The real upside of the NISMO is it's cheaper than the Quaife, and comes with the bearings, seals and hardware you will need as well as fluid. Quaife comes with nothing, and will require additional $$ for extra parts.

A proper diff cooler setup is going to run you way more than the diff itself, by the time you factor in the pump, lines, etc. Again unless you have an honest to god race car, it's tremendously overkill and not at all required

We stock both btw, so whichever you need, feel free to let us know

The NISMO is a direct drop in replacement for a base (non LSD) car with manual transmission.

Quaife is nice, I use one now myself, but less than ideal if track use is the primary motive (especially on r compounds), as the Quaife only works with both wheels on the ground. The problem is, Z's tend to lift the inside drive wheel and when that happens, you are back to having an open diff. The clutch type, like a NISMO, affords you adjustability in terms of lockup %, and it always works, no matter what. Downside is they are not quite as kind at very low speeds on the road (ie, 3 point turns, or pulling into or out of a parking spot). Alot can be mitigated by different fluids, but it will do it to some degree. The real upside of the NISMO is it's cheaper than the Quaife, and comes with the bearings, seals and hardware you will need as well as fluid. Quaife comes with nothing, and will require additional $$ for extra parts.

A proper diff cooler setup is going to run you way more than the diff itself, by the time you factor in the pump, lines, etc. Again unless you have an honest to god race car, it's tremendously overkill and not at all required

We stock both btw, so whichever you need, feel free to let us know

Not sure where I got the thinking that you'd need a VLSD to install a Nismo LSD :dry: Read,heard,told...

Anyway with you stating noisy and did hear it wears down the clutch/flywheel setup faster too (again not sure about how accurate that is) and that I want to take the Z on the track occasionally not every weekend. Id be hoping to use it in town without to much noise and hassle.

Nismo cheaper then Quaife? <<< How much can you sell either for?

Quaife comes with nothing, and will require additional $$ for extra parts.

Having read a few DIY's online I didn't think you needed any additonal part list, what in your mind would one need?

Those DIY's are a bit on the 'spanner, beer & throw it in' way so think I'd just take the diff out and take it to my mech and let him do the swap... was hoping to do it myself but don't want to wreck anything.

So you think It's overboard to go for a diff cooler setup? Seen that they can be gotten for 900$ odd all in, still researching that though.

Thanks for the input mate :thumbs:

Andy I may be after a diff in the soon, I would be tempted by the carbonetic plate diff or OS Gikken. Kev H has the Kaaz 2 way and his pops and bangs like a mofo moving around the roads etc. his was set to 80% lock too.

If you get some quotes let me know mate im after one.

Andy I may be after a diff in the soon, I would be tempted by the carbonetic plate diff or OS Gikken. Kev H has the Kaaz 2 way and his pops and bangs like a mofo moving around the roads etc. his was set to 80% lock too.

:thumbs: Will do, Steady Zeddy has a kazz and it's not making any noise... (That I could hear anyway) think it's a 1.5 way though not sure re 80% lock either (sounds pretty high)

i v got the nismo and so far had no issues with the clutch/flywheel.

its 1.5/2 way but for track use you need it on 1.5. 2 is for drifting. its also adjustable and can be done without dismantling the whole thing. its very easy and takes about 10mins. 60-80-100%. 100% on the road is unbearable! 60% with redline juice with friction modifier you ll get the odd pop even at relatively wide corner and slow speeds but you can live with it. the confidence and adjustability it gives you is fantastic. Very good on track as well. you can nail the throttle mid corner no probs.

real problems.

- it a total tyre eater...and you dont need to drift your car...just a few t-junctions will do the job...think of half your rear tyre life and you wont be far off.

- messes up the ESP. i has to be off for safe negotiation with roundabouts...esp in the wet.

- unsettles the car a bit when it pops at low speeds. it only makes the ride uncomfortable and not dangerous. if you took the same corner at a decent speed and not pottering about it wouldnt have popped in the first place.

i cant comment on any other lsd. maybe better ones out there. but comparing the stock viscous to the nismo i would never look back. then again i am a bit of a masochist ;):lol:

:thumbs: Will do, Steady Zeddy has a kazz and it's not making any noise... (That I could hear anyway) think it's a 1.5 way though not sure re 80% lock either (sounds pretty high)

Yip - Anders drove my Zed with the Kaaz and as he says its hard to tell it even has an aftermarket diff and its a Kaaz 1.5 way with a 80% lockup. I got the extra fitment to change the Kaaz to 1.5 way (it comes 2 way) to make it more driveable on the road.

The Kaaz is my favorite mod so far - it really came into its own at a recent 1/4 mile and trackday but you really need to have a use for it to bother with fitting it - it'll make you look like a driving god on track but on the road in day to day driving you might as well not have it - you'll rarely ever get to notice it on the roads and if you do, well then - you're driving too fast!