Your opinions on what retro games to get!

Teatowel

Hiya!

I've got pretty much every console released since 1987 (except a PC Engine or Turbografx - sore point!) and up until the Xbox/PS2/Gamecube era bought and played most of the high profile, and lots of the obscure, games.

I am a little addicted to buying and owning all this stuff, as unlike most other artforms, a lot of old games will simply just disappear, at least on the original system it came out on.

I now have a Xbox 360, Wii and PS3 which have a decent selection of games.

My Dreamcast collection is basically sorted (essentially all I needed were Shenmue 1 and 2, Powerstone, MSR and PSO).

What I have missed out on are the original Xbox, GC and PS2, and to some extent, PC from 2000-now.

Now I know a lot of old games are essentially obsolete, stuff like football and other sport games, but I think that there are loads of classics that I have missed out on and should probably get, with a view to finishing them sometime in the next decade! Generally I'm thinking of games that were platform specific or great updates of PS1 era games.

So, what do you recommend? I have already made a list of ones that I already have or know about, but would welcome your thoughts on what I should buy. Given that Game and Gamestation are now selling games from these platforms at about £2-5 each, £50 ought to go a long way!

Xbox

Halo

Halo 2

Prince of Persia 1, 2 and 3

Forza 1 (already completed)

MGS 3

Gamecube

Rogue Squadron 2

Resident Evil

Metroid

PS2

Maybe nothing as pretty much everything decent is multiplatform and has either come out on the Xbox, Xbox 360 or PS3?

hmmm, i have a massive rack of old xbox games i can rake through, i had one of the very first xbox's out by preorder so got all the very first games (seriously limited selection at the time!!)

things like bloodwake, halo, oddworld munches odesy were the very first ones out and i think i still have them.

will list some off when i have a look.

A fellow gamer... B)

Check out my retro collection:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36458&hilit=arcade

My personal console defining games are:

Nes:

Duck Hunt

Master System:

California Games 2

Bubble Bobble

Alex Kidd in Miracle/Shinobi World

Sonic 1

Snes:

ISS Deluxe

Mario World

Rock N Roll Racing (i love this game!)

Mario Kart

Mega Drive:

ToeJam & Earl

N64:

Goldeneye

ISS 98

Super Mario 64

Banjo Kazooie

Mario Kart 64

WaveRace

PsOne:

Metal Gear Solid

Syphon Filter

Die Hard

Time Crisis

Tony Hawks 1

Colin Mcrae Rally

Gran Turismo

Saturn:

Virtua Cop

PS2:

GTA 3

GTA Vice City

Metal Gear Solid 3

Tony Hawks 3

Dreamcast:

Shenmue 1

Shenmue 2

Crazy Taxi

Sega Rally (i had the no1. time in the world on the Riviera track, briefly)

Sonic Adventure

Metropolis Street Racer (First iteration of Project Gotham)

XBOX:

Halo

Project Gotham

Try find Tokyo Extreme Racer for the ps2, the game is seriously crap but the addiction level is high. Me and my house mate played that game for 3 days straight with no sleep. Timesplitters 1 and 2 are probably my favourite games on the ps2, pure classics. Just thinking about thise games makes me want to get my ps2 out the loft :lol:

Snes:

ISS Deluxe

Mario World

Rock N Roll Racing (i love this game!)

Mario Kart

You left out Secret Of Mana, you heathen! :scare::ban:

I cant stand RPG games at all... the only ones i've ever been able to play through are Shenmue 1 & 2, Zelda: Link's Awakening, and Mystican Ninja Starring Goeman (on the N64).

...But i appreciate that that Secret of Mana/Evermore were some of the all time greatest RPGs..

This post brings back memories :lol:

I think my folks have my 128k speckie and my Amstrad CPC6128..... wait for it........ with Green Screen in the loft.

mmmm Horace goes skiing, Jet set willy, Manic Miner to name but a few. Might have to dig them out for a play :yahoo: