Mini Cooper S Works GP (didn't see any other badges!!)

H5

On my way home saw a kitted 56 plate Mini giving it some beans down the slip road and it slotted in in front of me. Traffic was slowish (50 odd) and when a space appeared put his foot down. It went considerably quicker than any Mini I'd seen so stuck with him for a bit.

Traffic, speed limits and restraint kept everything steady and then where I come off there's a lovely sweep of right-left-right motorway regulation slip road onto a dual carriageway. He gave me a flash so we went for it and was surprised a) by the Zeds grip and B) by the grunt of the Mini. At the next lot of traffic lights I pulled up alongside and he wound down his window. He checked what mine was, I checked what his was. Apparently these are two seater 280 bhp Mini's! :scare: Only 2,000 in the country?

Anyway we were chatting at the lights and someone tooted and he said 'Shall we go?' and booted it (in a 60 limit btw!) and I followed suit. Surprisingly in first and second the Zed pulled away from him (that was where it ended as speed limit reached!). At next roundabout he pulled up and raised his eyebrows. So despite an obvious weight disadvantage, the Zed can clearly plant it's grunt very well. Was very impressed by this Mini though!

Anyone else driven or had any experience of these things?

P.S. Hope the above isn't inappropriate.

General specifications

Record last updated 11 / 09 / 2005

Country of origin Great Britain

Year of introduction 2006

Numbers built 2000 (proposed)

Body design N/A

Weight 1100 kilo / 2425.1 lbs

Drivetrain

Engine Straight 4

Engine Location Front , transversely mounted

Displacement 1.598 liter / 97.5 cu in

Valvetrain 4 valves / cylinder, DOHC

Fuel feed Fuel injection

Aspiration Supercharger

Gearbox 6 speed Manual

Drive Front wheel drive

Performance figures

Power 218 bhp / 163 KW

Torque 245 Nm / 181 ft lbs

BHP/Liter 136 bhp / liter

Power to weight ratio 0.2 bhp / kg

Top Speed N/A

0-60 mph Acceleration N/A

had a VERY embarasing moment 'against' a Mini Cooper S Works years ago in my old RX8. Now the 8 had ZERO torque and my wife and i had just come back from a trip up north - so the car had the two of us and the two back seats and the boot completely full of stuff. Pulled away from a roundabout with this Mini behind me right on my tail so i thought 'i know i'll put the foot down and lose this clown' ... WRONG ... the RX8 had lost SO much power and the wee light Mini still had it all and more. The last point of this encounter was when i pulled over and my wife (who was previously moaning because i was 'racing') said - 'look he's laughing at you.

I haven't spoken to my wife since - she is now dead and burried under my patio - anyone call the cops and i'll deny all knowledge.

:angry:

I will say this though - i did look at the Minis (amongst a few others) before deciding on the Z - i had to cover all options so i thought i had better at least look at them ... however after just one visit to the nearest dealership i decided not to even take a test drive - the outside and inside of the car just doesn't do it for me ... and to the 'lay-person' it might as well be just a Mini 'One' for all they know - so you get Zero respect and the only people turning heads are Mini geeks and boffins.

The End.

According to the bible (Evo magazine :D ):

Mini Cooper S GP

0-60: 6.5

power/weight ratio: 203

350z (new model)

0-60: 5.8

power/weight ratio: 197

I guess the 350z is better at getting the power down and is probably a lot better on the track too.

I'd go with that. Just proves the stat sheets don't tell the whole story. The front tyres on it were squealing a little whereas the Zed was just relentless with it's grip in a straight line. :thumbs:

They had one on fifth gear this week, probably repeated at the weekend sometime. Didnt say much about it though, just VBH ragging it round a kart track.

You could win one in their competition though.....

I'd rather win a VBH than a mini with red wing mirrors and a stupid spoiler!

Mmmmm, VBH......

I quite like that mini but as stated before only geeks know what they actually are. Me included. :blush:

Bloke at work has one of these- looks like a mini with chav mirros (they're red) and a big teatray on the back (carbon wing). Uprated supercharger, wheel and suspension mods, no back seats and a close ratio box.

Like a lot of people, he speculates on limited ed cars, and makes a grand or two selling them on. Think he might have been burned on this one though - there are a lot of people trying to sell them on (there were six on fleabay the other night).

Not my cup of tea, and the fact that there's a new mini on sale now (S has turbos instead of an SC, so BM have seen the light ;)) is probably affecting sales. Bet they handle like a cart though...:teeth:

Personally, and having had the s/c mini, i'd much rather have a s/c than a turbo. Something about the whine of the s/c that was much 'mini esq' for last gen mini.

Ah well time will see :)

I'm the opposite (although it's not mini-specific) - I prefer turbos. Had a straight six 4l supercharged jag which was fearsomely quick, but all you could ever hear was the SC whining. Much prefer the turbo spooling sound, and the fact that you can hear the engine as well.

However, chap at work also seemed to prefer the idea of the mini SC...

It's one of the things holding me back from getting an SC for the Z - hoping that someone will turn up in one at Japfest tomorrow so I can have look/listen..

Sorry, my post probably wasnt very clear. I LOVE TUBO cars :p

Always have done, since i was 15 and drove a Scooby prodrive on a beach lol

Its just on mini's that i think the S/c just 'fits' the car. But i could be pleasantly surprised once i drive the new turbo S. Plus the tuning options for the new mini could be huge once some of the big players get to grips. But the FWD system is a limitation when you really up the power imo

Ahh those things, they are fast, but they are not that fast, they are still 6+ seconds 0-60, and FWD. However for what they are and cost, its not worth it in my opinion! I have been looking at these too but they are no comparison to a zed.