Slimjim's 350Z Ownership Thread

slimjim

Going a little crazy with everything all at once....

Tomorrow I fetch the Rainbow Comps and the MDF spacers to fit them into the doors.

Monday I am booked in for having the center dash wrapped.

Tuesday she is having the dents taken out of her doors, as well as the large scrape and scratch out of her rear bumper.

After Tuesday I think it will all be a rebuild. Putting it back together. IF I can remember how! :headhurt:

Skint till the end of the month now :lol:

Jim, erm don't mean to cause any stress, but your sub box is like totally wrapped, so like your sub is kinda hidden, or shall I say wrapped? :surrender:

:lol::clap: Ian, you are bloody hilarious!!!

Gonna try to fit the sub tonight. See if I need to trim to the edge of the box or if I can get away with just cutting and folding the cloth out of the way.

:D

Looking good Jim - and I see you've cut out where the sub goes in your box, you had me worried that all this proffesional work was going to come to a sad end!! :teeth:

Head unit is looking sweet, the sub looks wicked, crossovers like you say a tad large, but 10kg's in weight!! :scare::scare::scare:

How heavy was the BOSE amp and Sub, don't forget to weigh them and deduct from your 10kg+ additions.

I have to say I really like the look of it all, so I'd be interested to hear it. Hopefully at the Midlands meet eh?

Great work :thumbs:

Looking good Jim - and I see you've cut out where the sub goes in your box, you had me worried that all this proffesional work was going to come to a sad end!! :teeth:

Head unit is looking sweet, the sub looks wicked, crossovers like you say a tad large, but 10kg's in weight!! :scare::scare::scare:

How heavy was the BOSE amp and Sub, don't forget to weigh them and deduct from your 10kg+ additions.

I have to say I really like the look of it all, so I'd be interested to hear it. Hopefully at the Midlands meet eh?

Great work :thumbs:

Not going to bother weighing it all. but once all the work is done, I am going to get the car weighed. See how bad it is :lol:

I WAS aiming to have it all done and dusted by next weekend but I think that is just not going to happen. :blush:

Think the new target for being finished will be the 17th/24th BBQ ...

Hope no-one thinks it is going to be LOUD, because it WON'T BE. I am SQ ... NOT SPL! :teeth:

A couple of people have mentioned I haven't said how I fitted/wired up my super cheap reversing camera...

So...

There is a hole in the middle of the boot with a rubber grommet in it.

Pull the grommet into the car and you will see a "tail" hanging down on the outside of the car, covered in black electrical tape, which is covering some rubber tubing to make the tale containing the cables.

I carefully cut all that off and pushed the extension lead and power socket through it.

Then once the camera is in place (stuffing the connectors in the hole first) you get under the car can hopefully can see the four cables. Connect them up :)

I then pulled back some of the slack into the boot (possibly a bad idea, because if it doesn't work, I am going to have to take the bumper off to check the connections!) and taped up the grommet again with the rubber tubing and new electrical tape.

CamInst1.jpg

For the power, I took the negative to a bolt in the boot. Then for the positive, I put a tiny slit in the light green wire in the grommet on the passenger side behind the reversing light, put her in reverse and used a power tester to check if there was power to it when the car was in reverse.

Then I used a cable clip thingy to attach the power to the green cable.

(There are two, a light green and a dark green, I will check which I used later today

CamInst2.jpg

CamInst3.jpg

CamInst4.jpg

CamInst5.jpg

Running the video lead to the HU is pretty easy. I took the cable to the passengers side and followed the amp cables, then the aerial lead from the aerial.

CamInst6.jpg

Saying all that, I am yet to connect it up to the HU, so it might all be crap as I haven't got it working yet! :lol:

Looking good

intrested to see how the reversing cam works out, as I have ordered one, yet to arrive, and also have a Pioneer HU

Well, as soon as I have it up and running, you will be the first to know!

Hoping I can make some progress with it today and tomorrow. :blush:

Woo hoo!!!

Got the drivers door wired up... :yahoo:

So all I need to do now is wait for my doors to have the dings taken out of them (Tuesday) and I can start the sound proofing.

Going to see how far I can get with sound proofing everything else OTHER than the doors tomorrow.

Slowly, slowly catchy, monkey :dance:

My rev cam arrived today.....

Waiting on you to do wiring first, lol

***EDIT***

Installed cam, fed cable thru grommet and that's where I have stopped.

I see you have used the negative on a bare bolt, but did you consider using the earthpoint at the other side of the boot?

IMG_1079.jpg

My reversing cam has arrived too :yahoo:

Once installed, don't forget to go into system settings and turn the back camera on.

Thought I had wired it wrong until I realised haha.

Also thinking of changing to a permanent power source rather than the reversing light, cos then I can use the camera at any time, like while driving forwards and checking out what's behind me.

My reversing cam has arrived too :yahoo:

Once installed, don't forget to go into system settings and turn the back camera on.

Thought I had wired it wrong until I realised haha.

Also thinking of changing to a permanent power source rather than the reversing light, cos then I can use the camera at any time, like while driving forwards and checking out what's behind me.

HaHa as if i would make such a rudimentary mistake :lol:

Cheers for the heads up :blush:

HA HA HA ... sorry Dave! :)

On a side note, yesterday I managed to wide up the power cable to be battery (WITHOUT the fuse in the fuse holder, for saftey!)

Also got Tam involved in the build. Getting the sound deadening sorted...

Clever Tam suggested cutting on of the pieces into four, so two for each door.

Clever Tam! :cloud9:

Sound1.jpg

Tam did this section. Very well I might add.

Sound2.jpg

Sound4.jpg

Sound6.jpg

Getting the section right for the sub.

Put a load of sound proofing foam in the bottom to level out the sub, no not worried about the cracks in the deadening membrane.

Sound5.jpg

Bolted the sub on this near corner so it will stay in one place in an accident or "spirited cornering" ;)

Sound7.jpg

Next job really is the head unit and wiring in the amp. B)