Slimjim's 350Z Ownership Thread

slimjim

Stripping...

Well, been doing a little stripping to see what space and opportunity for ICE I have...

Cheers to Chris I and Wasso for the help I needed to work out where to start! :lol:

Only took me 30 mins once I got going.

Empty.jpg

Space on the drivers side.

DSpace1.jpg

I may need to remove one (or both) of the bars hanging down.

DSpace2.jpg

But I need to be sure I have something to fasten it in with.

Don't want a sub hitting me in an accident. Would hurt! :blackeye:

DSpace3.jpg

Space on the passenger side, might be able to fit am amp in there AND keep the glove box.

PSpace1.jpg

PSpace2.jpg

Hoping I can route my power cable down this white channel I found :blush:

RouteForCables.jpg

Works thinnest (worst) sub?!?!

ThinSub1.jpg

ThinSub2.jpg

Sub box fits :yahoo:

WithBox.jpg

The Box IS in there ... honest ;)

WithBoxCovered.jpg

Found the amp in the boot, while I was taking the trim off for the Akari boot light upgrade

Boot.jpg

Filled the garage though, she will be parked outside for a while :(

Garage.jpg

Anyone know what this box is?

What.jpg

I believe it's something to do with the phone kit. Don't hold me to that though.

Interesting to see both area's empty though, a vast amount of space you could fill with Tech or sub(s) :lol:

I have room underneath my NOS bottles, so I could potentially slide a couple of Amps in there if I so chose to go that route!! Would have to make some weight saving elsewhere though. :bang:

I believe it's something to do with the phone kit. Don't hold me to that though.

Interesting to see both area's empty though, a vast amount of space you could fill with Tech or sub(s) :lol:

I have room underneath my NOS bottles, so I could potentially slide a couple of Amps in there if I so chose to go that route!! Would have to make some weight saving elsewhere though. :bang:

I suppose it could be to do with the car kit. Could disconnect it and see if the phone still works :lol:

Wasn't sure WHAT room I was expecting to be honest.

For some reason I was either expecting NO room, or more than there is :D

There seems to be a lot of wasted room between the compartments where the two vertical bits of metal are.

Doesn't look structural. Could possibly modify. but I will see what I can squeeze in as if for now :thumbs:

Am I just wrong to think you could get a baby seat in there :lol:

Just thinking of all those poor sods whose threads start with "Starting a family so the Zed has to go" :byebye:

Surely an option worth considering :thumbs:

A crazy suggestion.... but actually not off the scale...

Might be a possibility, but I am not sure on what laws there are RE seatbelts. you would have to go to a VOSA test station and get it checked out I think.

NOT the way I am going o go with this :lol:

Its a lot bigger in there with all the trim missing lol. word of guidance though, try to remove & refit as little as possible, stuff rattles more & never fits as well :D

Yeah, I thought that...

I have no need for it to all go back on for a while. No problem running the car if I HAVE to with it all off. Will just have to use ear plugs :D

I have an MOT due next month, presuming I am fine to take it as it, because it is just exposed trim, nothing they can pull me up for in the MOT is it?

Its a lot bigger in there with all the trim missing lol. word of guidance though, try to remove & refit as little as possible, stuff rattles more & never fits as well :D

Yeah, I thought that...

I have no need for it to all go back on for a while. No problem running the car if I HAVE to with it all off. Will just have to use ear plugs :D

I have an MOT due next month, presuming I am fine to take it as it, because it is just exposed trim, nothing they can pull me up for in the MOT is it?

I drove from Birmingham to Surrey without the central arm rest console section once. A tad messy and uncomfortable!!

I drove from Birmingham to Surrey without the central arm rest console section once. A tad messy and uncomfortable!!

The armrest is still in!

Took everything out, then put the arm rest/center section back in :teeth:

Plans coming along VERY nicley now...

Found the amp I want :cloud9: Should be here later on this week for me to test the fitment, which I think should be perfect!

Was trying to work out where I could fit the AMP. So I made a cardboard version of it to see where it could fit.

It KIND of fit behind the globe box completely out of sight but I think it would be a bit of a bitch to secure and wire it up...

Behind1.jpg

Behind2.jpg

Then I though, "I wonder if it would fit IN the glove box?"...

Glove1.jpg

Glove2.jpg

Glove4.jpg

Glove5.jpg

This way, I will still retain some space in the glove box. Big enough for my satnav to fit in (till I expand the HU to have SatNav too!) and it should be easier to wire in.

Also, if I mount the amp upside down, there is plenty of room for me to put in a couple of fans to make sure the amp doesn't over heat. :teeth:

Glove6.jpg

More to come.... B)

looking good mate :thumbs:

Thanks billyokco, starting to come together in my head. :blush:

Starting to think I might have not left enough length of cable in the engine bay before taping it all up :doh:

But I do have to put a fuse there, so I will have to extend it anyway....

Suppose I could always just cut the tape off and pull a little more through.

Kinda cheated with the power cable as it is from an OLD install on a previous car that I found in the loft. I think/hope that it is actually the perfect length. We will see :lol:

Anyone heard of "Star Earthing" ... never heard of it myself till the other day, but I ran a cable just in case.

Basically, there is a VERY good earth behind the head unit. Directly to the same panel the main earth is on from the battery(Or VERY close to it) in order to make sure the standard head unit doesn't get any interference.

When you ground your amps in the boot to the chassis, the current has lots of panels and welds to cross to get back to the battery.

So you run an earth cable (very thin, 1/1.5mm) from the new earth you make directly to the main HU earth, that was a small amount of the current goes down it to the GOOD earth, which cuts down the interference/whining you can somethings get.

Obviously what you REALLY want to do it have the amp RIGHT next to the battery/HU and power straight from the battery and earth ONLY to the HU earth.

But in the real world, 99.9% of the time that it just impractical.

Apparently Audiphiles do this "Star Earthing" all the time in Home amps/setups. And can PROVE it makes a difference. :blink:

Was very easy for me to run a tiny extra earth cable with the power lead. So I did it, just in case :teeth:

Makes sense to me mate :thumbs:

Doing a really thorough job there , look forward to the results :)

Well, at least ONE of us understands it :lol:

Speaking of (too) Husky...

Looking to fit the under strut brace lights he sorted me out with today! :yahoo:

H3.jpg

H4.jpg

H5.jpg

Install pics to follow (I hope!)

:snack: