Re: DIY Front Lip painted matt Black *Finished!*

evest

Well I've got the whole weekend to myself so decided to spend today doing something about my unsightly stone-chipped front lip; It will certainly do until I can afford an upgrade!

Decided to go matt black - I appreciate I'm not the first to do so! :)

Sandpaper, primer and paint from Halfrauds:

Work in progress:

DSCF2054.JPG

DSCF2055.JPG

Colour coating finished:

DSCF2059.JPG

DSCF2058.JPG

The light is failing and the paint is still soft so I will refit the bumper tomorrow and post up the finished results!

ps - not sure what to do about lacquer/protection - don't want it to go shiny. Any ideas?

Cheers :thumbs:

I think the front lip will be easily chipped no matter what paint/lacquer is used ......... just a fact of life really

not if there are enough coats and a good clear coat on top and then its baked between coats. will harden up nicely. yes it will eventually chip, but not as badly or as quickly.

did you use a plastic primer underneath? if you used ordinary primer then it will peel and chip very quickly and easily.

looks good though

did you use a plastic primer underneath? if you used ordinary primer then it will peel and chip very quickly and easily.

Yeah, I fully sanded off the old paint and used a few coats of plastic primer before the colour coat. Will get some suitable lacquer for it once the paint has hardened properly.

:thumbs:

ok this may work.

this company do a new product:

Matt coated film now available for the new range of cars & motorcycles that have been factory painted with a matt finish, please call for details!

GB :thumbs:

agreed. if you bear with me i will see if i can do anything price wise as we are using this company for stuff at work.