Going green...

evest

I exercise quite a bit and don't want my fitness to suffer - one of the main things stopping me going for it at the moment. My missus a veggie too and we've just moved in together! She's okay about me eating meat though - I can see her getting a bit edgy when I'm doing bacon butties though! :snack:

As Ricey mentions, if you cut the meat and you're doing a fair amount of exercise or training, you will need to watch your diet carefully to compensate.

If she's vego or vegan, if you change to please her you may soon start to resent it.

If you're not doing it because you really care about something (health or ethical issues) then don't bother. Like other posters have said, we are designed to eat meat and nature is far crueler than we could ever be. Eating meat is a fact of life. If you don't eat that much meat anyway then you have nothing to worry about, forcing yourself entirely one way or the other is counterproductive.

If your girlfriend wants you to give up meat to satisfy her self conscience. Then what is she going to do for you?

Cheers for the input guys. But it's honestly nowt to do with my missus - we've been together over 4 years and she's never once tried to sway me. It will purely be my own decision.

Anyways, I'll think on. Will let you know how long I last...! :thumbs:

Mate, don't let anyone put you off. If you want to do it, do it.

If you do decide to do it though, I've found this for your new avatar....

cabbage-man-small.jpg

or....

170537.gif

:lol::lol::lol:

funny-pictures-cat-does-not-like-vegetarian-food.jpg

funny-pictures-cat-does-not-want-this-vegan-meal.jpgnobody-likes-vegetarians.jpg

fail-owned-meat-origin-fail-450x239.jpg

the-first-annoying-vegan.gif

But on a serious note - good luck! Your a stronger man than me (but not for long ;):lol: )

Lacto-ovo vegetarian = no meat or fish but eats dairy and eggs

Ovo vegetarian = no meat or fish or dairy but eats eggs

Lacto vegetarian = no meat or fish or eggs but eats dairy

Vegan = does not eat any animal products including honey (and most do not use animal products e.g. leather)

A true vegan is hardcore... and I wouldn't recommened vegetarianism for health reasons per se. However, cutting out many meat based meals can reduce a potential source of saturated fat... but ultimately good nutrition is about balance.

As suggested already: most vegetarian (or semi-vegetarian) diets can be successful. Potential problems can be sufficient intake of protein, iron, calcium and B-vitamins (meat is a fantastic source for all of these). However, careful meal planning and combinations of foods can cater for this.

Regarding the training and fitness/muscle mass thing: this does add an extra challenge. Timing of protein intake is the most important consideration after a workout. Certain food combinations can be useful to ensure you gain all the essential amino acids (building blocks of protein) that your body needs (e.g. grains and legumes together or vegetable with dairy). This will become much easier if you allow yourself dairy. You could also consider protein supplementation (again assuming you are happy if they use animal products). Consider that the protein requirement for humans (even exercising ones) is highly 'embellished' by magazines and supplement companies trying to make money; it is not as hard as you might imagine to meet your daily protein requirements.

Finally... it is absolutely your decision. Your digestive system is designed to eat both meat and vegetables but I do not think it can be considered unnatural not to eat meat. It's not like we are hunter gatherers any more... ultimately as adults we are not designed to consume milk... no other mammal as an adult drinks milk... we are rather domesticated animals!!

By the way... I am not a vegetarian but I teach some of this stuff at University... I'll stop blabbering on like an enthusiastic lecturer now..!

Just try it and see how you get on would be my advice. Do take the nutritional advice seriously though. Since i've been cooking for one I more or less cut out red meat without even realising it. I just started eating what i preferred to eat and wasn't cooking big family meals anymore and that meant i just never ate red meat. It only really dawned on me when i went to the doctors after fainting a couple of times and finding out my iron was low. I still hardly ever eat red meat, not by choice just because the things i eat the most just don't contain it. Let us know how you get on!

MRH 350Z & Nixy

Many thanks for your advice - very much appreciated. I've decided to go for it, but will do it in phases rather than hitting my body with a big change in one go, and I need to learn more about nutrition as well. Cutting out meat will be fairly easy, but I'll eat some meat once a week until I've phased in proper substitutes and gotten used to it. Dairy will be more challenging but I'll just start replacing things as I go.

Hopefully this approach will allow me to slowly make the change without suffering any ill effects along the way.

Gonna miss those bacon butties though, ah well... :)