Has anyone owned the new MX5 ? Any good?

stanski

HI folks the car sales market is as flat as a pancake at the mo so its looking like I might have to go down the part ex route and since they stopped making MR2's the other option is the new shape MX5 probably on a 2008 plate?

Just wondered if anyone has owned or driven one? I understand the 2.0lt engine is the better one to go for? Still not 100% keen on the bullfrog front of it but can live with that as the rest is ok?

Whats the MPG like (motorway wise?) and is it a good cruiser ?

Any foibles with the folding tin top?

Thanks in advance? :)

Great little cars - I'm running a 2006 Mk3 with the 2.0 engine. Unlike the Mk2, its quite happy to cruise around and feels stable and secure on the motorway. Its definitely a car you could use everyday. For me the 2.0 was essential and you would want a Sport model because that comes with a 6 speed box. Bear in mind that until recently very few MX5s came with air con and whilst that's not important when the roof is off, in a warm wet Britsh summer its a bit of a bugger.

I've no idea of mpg because its a third car and I hardly use it. Mines a soft top so no real idea about the folding hard top either.

Of course the best bit is the rwd handling and feeling and lightness and directness. Its not as pure as the earlier models but that's the price you pay for its civility. You'd want to fit the lowering springs from either Mazda or Eibach as Mazda simply jacked the car up for European markets to meet safety regs without altering the rest of the suspension - the lowering springs bring it back to the correct height it was designed to be (the car isn't slammed and doesn't trouble speed bumps) and improves the handling no end.

The 2.0 also has enough power to unstick the back end which comes round surprisingly easily in the wet but there is switchable ESP to keep things in check when you're not in the mood.

You're always welcome to pop over for a coffee, chat and a drive if you want, Stan. :thumbs:

Hi Stan,

I had one before the Zed for 3 years, I thought it was a great car. Mine was a 2.0i with sport pack with canvas roof. I did 20k a year and motorway cruising was fine. Boot space was manageable, I think only once in 3 years did I think I wish I had a bigger boot :lol:

The interior was OK as well, seats comfy, factory stereo was also good. I am 5ft 11in and slim build and found space just right, If your any taller/bigger then you might feel a little crampt. I had a few passengers who found it a bit of a squeeze :lol:

MPG, I think I averaged about 32mpg most of the time... fuel tank is fairly small so you will be visiting petrol stations just as often as in the Zed.... it just costs less :lol:

When driving in a spirited fashion you do need to rev fairly hard to get it to go, but they are pretty nippy

If your gonna get one go with the option pack (bigger wheels, air con, heated seats etc) and the tin roof, you will find it much quieter on the move. I had a tin roof one for a day while mine was being serviced and the noise difference was very noticeable. With the Tin roof you also do not loose a boot space, just the behind seat storage is gone.

The only problem I had with mine was a wiring loom which went over the engine shorted due to vibration and engine mgt light came on, Mazda fix it immediately :thumb:

Over all :thumbs: I like them, they go well, and generally a bit of a laugh to chuck about in the corners, mine always felt very stable. Servicing and parts are also relatively cheap as well.

Hope this helps

Jim

Thanks Digsy and Jim - appreciate your info - seems like the 2lt is the one to go for after all and lower the springs.

Digsy nice of you to offer a drive I would be scared to prang it though mate :surrender:

Will have a surf around the stealers and see if they can do a straight swop for the tank maybe?

I am not worried about luggage space remember I have lived with an MR2 Roadster for 3 years - travelling light is second nature to me now! :wacko:

Thanks again seems like a strong contender - think Lucy will be wanting to borrow it constantly (do they have isofix!) :lol:

Hi Stan,

. I am 5ft 11in and slim build and found space just right, If your any taller/bigger then you might feel a little crampt.

Jim

Yeah, my step daughter had one, when she was D/Q'd for Drink Driving I had the use of it for 9 months. I'm 6ft exactly and found it to be a little uncomfortable and certainly wouldn't fancy doing a long journey in one. The great thing about them is the reliability, she did 75k in hers from new and only had it serviced a couple of times, they just run and run. MPG was pretty good on her 1.8 model, somewhere in the region of 34mpg from what I remember. Hold their value extremely well too, she put it in Motor Mart and had people fighting over it, we must have had 20 calls about it.

Pete

Hi Stan,

. I am 5ft 11in and slim build and found space just right, If your any taller/bigger then you might feel a little crampt.

Jim

Yeah, my step daughter had one, when she was D/Q'd for Drink Driving I had the use of it for 9 months. I'm 6ft exactly and found it to be a little uncomfortable and certainly wouldn't fancy doing a long journey in one. The great thing about them is the reliability, she did 75k in hers from new and only had it serviced a couple of times, they just run and run. MPG was pretty good on her 1.8 model, somewhere in the region of 34mpg from what I remember. Hold their value extremely well too, she put it in Motor Mart and had people fighting over it, we must have had 20 calls about it.

Pete

I'm 6' 1" and nearly 15 stone and I drive my g/friends Mark 1 - no issues.

Drove down to Bordeaux and did Le Mans in it a couple of years ago - not even a sore bum.

For £2500 I'd get the cheapie Mark 1 - still rated the best driver's car. And it HAS got air-con!

Here it is in the middle of France at dawn:

_DSC4566.JPG

Lucy wants to know if you can turn the passenger airbag off ?

.........(told you!) :lol:

I'm pretty sure you can.

Cool thats a selling point in its self - looking better and better :drive1

Yep, you can turn it off :thumbs:

Good luck with the hunt, I still miss mine a bit. I was one of those people who used to drive round in mid winter with the roof down... the heated seats are wicked.. really hot. The only thing it could have done with is an air scarf thingy like the SLK's

The Mk1 I had before the Mk3 was great, very good value... and really easy to control power slides in corners :lol: The only thing I found with it was it was always damp inside and the seats were not as comfy. Here are my two....

mx5-1.jpg

mx5-2.jpg

And it HAS got air-con!

Not many non-imports have air con, even Mk1s. On the other hand I probably wouldn't buy a UK Mk1 as they're all rusting to hell now. I wouldn't fancy a regular motorway commute in a Mk1 or Mk2 mind you. :surrender:

And it HAS got air-con!

Not many non-imports have air con, even Mk1s. On the other hand I probably wouldn't buy a UK Mk1 as they're all rusting to hell now. I wouldn't fancy a regular motorway commute in a Mk1 or Mk2 mind you. :surrender:

Yep - forgot to say ours is an import. No rust at all as far as I'm aware and a "P" reg - not sure what year that is.

Done about 80,000 miles and I don't think anything has gone wrong in the last 2 years of ownership.

You can always tell a good car by the response from enthusiastic owners :D

Lucy used to have a mk1 and she loved it. I am not fussed about model snobbery you get the same with MR2's. I like the mk1 and mk3 but the mk2 is awful.

Anyway can't go for a cheap one as I want something I can do a swop on the 300c since it's not selling so something valued £13500-14000 is the ideal.

So let's see what I can fanangle at the stealers.

Thanks again for the advice and pictures :thumbs:

Hi Stan,

Jim

Pete

I'm 6' 1" and nearly 15 stone and I drive my g/friends Mark 1 - no issues.

Drove down to Bordeaux and did Le Mans in it a couple of years ago - not even a sore bum.

For £2500 I'd get the cheapie Mark 1 - still rated the best driver's car. And it HAS got air-con!

Here it is in the middle of France at dawn:

_DSC4566.JPG

Yeah, Rachael had one of these too. My experiences of this were limited to moving it off the drive a few times but I don't recall it being cramped like the newer one she had.

P0000006.jpg

Pete

You can always tell a good car by the response from enthusiastic owners :D

Lucy used to have a mk1 and she loved it. I am not fussed about model snobbery you get the same with MR2's. I like the mk1 and mk3 but the mk2 is awful.

Anyway can't go for a cheap one as I want something I can do a swop on the 300c since it's not selling so something valued £13500-14000 is the ideal.

So let's see what I can fanangle at the stealers.

Thanks again for the advice and pictures :thumbs:

I don't think I know anyone who has had a MX5 and hated it :thumbs: , I have to agree with you on the Mk2 :yuck:

You should be able to get a good one for that £££££ as I think they are still only 20K new. I saw a dark blue one last week :cloud9:

Another reason to get one is the MX5 community, just like the Zed... Its waves all round when you see another one on the road :#1:

Digsy, Your's looks B) in red... very nice :thumbs:

..... I miss my MX :console:

I drove the mk3 MX-5 2.0L Sport at the end of last year and hated it. The interior was lovely and it was obviously well screwed together, but the engine made an awful noise and the steering was just vile: It felt like I was more trying to guide it via charades than a direct link between the steering wheel and the front wheels, it was that vague. I so wanted to love it but it had no soul IMHO.

I think you'd hate it after the MR2 Stan, although as a GT car it's certainly preferable if you're not going to drive it hard. A mk2 MX-5, however... :cloud9:

I drove the mk3 MX-5 2.0L Sport at the end of last year and hated it. The interior was lovely and it was obviously well screwed together, but the engine made an awful noise and the steering was just vile: It felt like I was more trying to guide it via charades than a direct link between the steering wheel and the front wheels, it was that vague. I so wanted to love it but it had no soul IMHO.

I think you'd hate it after the MR2 Stan, although as a GT car it's certainly preferable if you're not going to drive it hard. A mk2 MX-5, however... :cloud9:

Was it set up properly with the lowering springs, Dan? The Mk3 can feel like a dog without them and good geo set up. Get it right and you've got a car which is better than the Mk2. If you've heard of Wheels In Motion (they are the generally accepted wizards of MX5 chassis tuning), Tony the boss reckons that the Mk3 is one of the best RWD chassis ever but only once its been properly set up.

Whats wrong with a Zed roadster if your not fussed about back seats anymore :shrug:

Go on, you know you want too ;)

The running costs mate unfortunately nearly bankrupt me last year especially with the petrol prices shooting up and road tax and tyres and 3 services a year, insurance - need I go on? I still miss the zed but it had to go more important things to worry about. With the camper purchase it's made me rethink the tanks roles, we can't have 3 large family cars so I just want an intermediate fun but cheap car until the old beetle is on the road then my most boring M56 trips will be shared between them- cheap and fun motoring with oil leaks :lol:

Digsy I have never seen a red one before?

Had a shock at the stealers about the part ex value of mine - makes we buy any car shisters look like saints!!!! So private sale efforts must be doubled! :surrender:

Was it set up properly with the lowering springs, Dan? The Mk3 can feel like a dog without them and good geo set up. Get it right and you've got a car which is better than the Mk2. If you've heard of Wheels In Motion (they are the generally accepted wizards of MX5 chassis tuning), Tony the boss reckons that the Mk3 is one of the best RWD chassis ever but only once its been properly set up.

Funnily enough you're not the first person to suggest it might have been a bit dodgy in that respect. It was a brand-new demo car from a main dealer so I would hope that it was set up to OEM specs, which if true really isn't good enough at all.

Funnily enough you're not the first person to suggest it might have been a bit dodgy in that respect. It was a brand-new demo car from a main dealer so I would hope that it was set up to OEM specs, which if true really isn't good enough at all.

If it was a Mk3 and not the latest Mk3.5 it won't have been set up properly from the dealer. I agree, very poor show.