puttng new Falkens on back...MUST i do fronts too?

sprevett

Got Potenzas 040 all round...never had a problem to be fair..but rears are nearly down to tread indicator so have ordered 2 x Falken 452s. leaving the Bridgestones on the front as plenty tread left. Don't do track days, don't drive on the limit, car mainly used by girlfriend. Should I be concerned about different tryres front & back? :shrug:

The simple fact is that if you mixed tyres and you drive the car hard or conditions become severe you are putting yourself at a risk you dont need too. I agree that if your careful mixing tyres really wont matter, but lets be honest, we didnt buy this car to drive at 60mph on the bypass or 30 mph down country roads. :shrug:

Simple answer, YES.

If you want to switch tyre brands then why not just get some used rear Bridgestones for now. By the time they've worn down again it'll probably be about time to change the fronts at which point you can get 4 brand new Tyres of your choice.

Got Potenzas 040 all round...never had a problem to be fair..but rears are nearly down to tread indicator so have ordered 2 x Falken 452s. leaving the Bridgestones on the front as plenty tread left. Don't do track days, don't drive on the limit, car mainly used by girlfriend. Should I be concerned about different tryres front & back? :shrug:

Yes, particularly if the car is used when the road is wet - see Ekona's article that cookiemonster has helpfully posted up. The 050 is a far superior tyre to the 040 and with full 050 tread on the rear and say half 040 tread at the front your car's handling in the wet could become quite evil.

I tracked my car last weeked with toyo t1r's on front and pirelli pzeros on rear. Traction control on, drove really hard and ever had any issues. I think it's just your Donald duck to be honest.

I tracked my car last weeked with toyo t1r's on front and pirelli pzeros on rear. Traction control on, drove really hard and ever had any issues. I think it's just your Donald duck to be honest.

I also tracked my car last week with some budget tyres on the front and some bridgestones on the back (how the car was when I bought it) no issues at all and it did rain a bit during the track day. Ok it was noticable when it was raining the front end response was different from the back but not ever a problem and I had the traction control off.

I would say its overkill to do this esp for your use.

had a good look at the fronts and have decided to fit 4 x new Falkens all round to be on the safe side. I can be a bit of a worrier... :headhurt: ....so if anyone wants 4 Bridgestones for track day use or whatever they have prob got 2-3mm left.

had a good look at the fronts and have decided to fit 4 x new Falkens all round to be on the safe side. I can be a bit of a worrier... :headhurt: ....so if anyone wants 4 Bridgestones for track day use or whatever they have prob got 2-3mm left.

What size ? I'll take them if they are stock size if you are ok with me getting a courier to pick them up.

stock size - 245/45/18 rear and 225/45/18 rear , no problem with courier, make me an offer?

Oh I thought you were offering them for free. Don't worry I can get them free from the local tyre shop with1- 2 mm tread left.