touring Europe - any advice?

sprevett

last minute decision (i.e the best variety) ....

10 days road-trip in August : Manchester-Hull-Brugges-Luxembourg-Frankfurt-Alessandria-Modena-Mont Blanc-Geneva-Paris-Brugges-Hull-Manchester. Phew. B)

I assume the Z will take it on the chin without so much as a rattle...but anyone got any advice re punctures/spares/useful info/European service issues etc?

ta

sprevett

Hi,

Make sure you have breakdown cover for abroad and take you logbook with you if the car does break down and needs to be brought back on a trailer or recoverey vehicle they need the logbook to get the vehicle back into the country.

Make sure you get a full complement of spare bulbs, hi-vis vest and warning triangles etc, and be careful of using radar detectors ;)

Sounds like an epic trip :D We love driving on the continent, there generally seems a better standard of driver on the major roads and it's always a pleasure :)

last minute decision (i.e the best variety) ....

10 days road-trip in August : Manchester-Hull-Brugges-Luxembourg-Frankfurt-Alessandria-Modena-Mont Blanc-Geneva-Paris-Brugges-Hull-Manchester. Phew. B)

I assume the Z will take it on the chin without so much as a rattle...but anyone got any advice re punctures/spares/useful info/European service issues etc?

ta

sprevett

Aha a fellow European traveller! 20th - 30th August 2010

Birmingham - Harwich - Rotterdam - Amsterdam - Nurburgring - Mont Blanc - Great St Bernard Pass - Paris - Rotterdam - Harwich - Birmingham. We plan to be at Mont Blanc the afternoon of the 25th and spend a day up Mont Blanc etc of the 26th - travel to Paris on the 27th if you fancy a blast over the Great St Bernard Pass!!

You've got a spare tyre and jack under the carpet in the boot, although it's only a space saver.

One thing to keep in mind, if the worst happens and you do break down one of the first questions the RAC/AA European people will ask is "When were you planning on returning to the UK?". They'll ask it as if they're being chatty and interested in your holiday.

Your answer to this question should always be, "Tomorrow".

The fine print in their Ts & Cs states that if the car can be repaired before your planned return date they will not offer any assistance in repatriating your car should you decide not to have the local Nissan garage repair it for you. Meaning if Nissan Switzerland tell you they will charge you 10,000 euros and it will take a week to repair then the recovery company will wash their hands of you if your original return date is further than a week away.

In Germany, make sure the hi-vis vest is out of the packaging, because my friend in germany was fined €50 on the spot for it being in the packging during a spot check (she's a german resident too).

When you see this, then you can put the pedal to the metal :D

10473?$detail$

:scare: oooh that's worth knowing - good tip thanks!

Wasso we're there Aug 4 -15th so can't join you for the Grand St Bernard....but you will see some rubber where we've been.. :teeth:

Shame - could have been good to cause an avalanche over the St Barnard pass due to the roar of 2 V6's hooning over the mountains!!

You've got a spare tyre and jack under the carpet in the boot, although it's only a space saver.

One thing to keep in mind, if the worst happens and you do break down one of the first questions the RAC/AA European people will ask is "When were you planning on returning to the UK?". They'll ask it as if they're being chatty and interested in your holiday.

Your answer to this question should always be, "Tomorrow".

The fine print in their Ts & Cs states that if the car can be repaired before your planned return date they will not offer any assistance in repatriating your car should you decide not to have the local Nissan garage repair it for you. Meaning if Nissan Switzerland tell you they will charge you 10,000 euros and it will take a week to repair then the recovery company will wash their hands of you if your original return date is further than a week away.

Good advice!

This summer I will be doing a 3k miles road trip through europe taking in Millau, Mount Ventou, Napoleon Route, Cannes, Nice, Monaco, Italian lakes, Stelvio Pass, St Moritz, San Bernardino Pass and then back through France. Trip is for 2 weeks staying in motels and then 3 nights in 5 star luxury in the Italian lakes. First time for me too so will be an adventure and looking forward to giving the roadster for a good run.

Just remember the euro regulation breakdown kit as said. Sticking bits of crap on your car is always upsetting (unless it's got Nismo stamped on it!) so you could def the headlamp deflectors, I did but worried a bit about being pulled up for it by Le Gendarme. Whether it's worth it or not is up to you :)

If your car has used much oil in the last 5000 miles take some top-up oil.

Enjoy the trip!

I used to do this trip quite often when I lived in Italy and Slovenia. My only advice is keep to the speed and distance limits in the Mont Blanc tunnel as they are very strick in there after the fire. Otherwise have fun and stretch the zeds legs a bit :drive1

P.S. Try and spend more time in Italy than Germany, if you can. :thumbs:

went through Mont Blanc tunnel once...never again! dark, dingey, smelly, slow...always always take the time to go over

Just splashed out on 4 new Falken 452s (comments on these welcome...) so I'M GOOD TO GO NOW..roll on Wednesday :clap:

We have just taken 3 350z's and a VXT on a 2500mile euro trip.

North east england- dover- dunkirk- dijon- lake como- stelvio- davos- nurburgring (10/ 15 laps) and home via dover.

One car required the clutch fluid to be bled after the pedel went to the floor at the top of stelvio pass in the alps (I was fairly concerned at that point!) , one car has suspected warpped discs, one car had a throttle position sensor fault which we reset.

I will be writing a full trip report when I get all the pictures together.

I used to do this trip quite often when I lived in Italy and Slovenia. My only advice is keep to the speed and distance limits in the Mont Blanc tunnel as they are very strick in there after the fire. Otherwise have fun and stretch the zeds legs a bit :drive1

P.S. Try and spend more time in Italy than Germany, if you can. :thumbs:

I also heard there are speed camera's in the tunnel. So I guess there's no chance of giving the Zed a blast!! There are plenty of other great tunnels in Europe. Talking of Slovenia, I believe if I remember rightly, I was travelling from Austria to Triest in Italy. Whilst heading through Slovenia there was a wicked tunnel. Nice and long, no camera's and nice and clean. Shame I was in a B class Merc at the time!!

Talking of speed camera's I remember driving a high top luton van across Europe, was in Germany heading down this hill and there were speed camera's on the gantry, heading down the hill. There were specific lanes for vehicles and each lane had a specific speed limit. I accidently overtook a large truck and headed down the middle lane. SNAP!! That was my photo taken - apparently vehicles of size were not allowed to overtake and I had my picture taken. The strange thing was that my picture was taken in my face/eyes!! Surely these should be illegal. I remember blue and purple spots appearing in my vision. Got home, returned the hire vehicle and never heard anything from the German authorities?! Bizzare!

Enjoy your trip sprevett!

Got home, returned the hire vehicle and never heard anything from the German authorities?! Bizzare!

I got quite a few flashes from speed cameras and never heard a thing. Think its down to the amount of paper work they have to do so they dont bother. Dont quote me on that though if you get a speeding ticket in the post, so dont go breaking the law,lol. :D

• 4 weeks later...

fantastic trip - just under 2000 miles and the Zed was just perfect. Used a bit of oil, as you'd expect, as were fully loaded, but mpg was about 25-27!! Even fully loaded the car handled just fine and there didn't seem to be any sag in the suspension (car not GF B) ). New Falkens were a very good idea - and they seem to be a very good tyre. I only lost it once, overtaking johnny foreigner on a Belgian A-road in the wet, dropped to 4th and floored it and nearly did a 360!!! :headhurt: will post some pics if I get time this week ....and I have a fab film of gf driving over Grand St Bernard Pass with 'On Days like These' on the cd...magic! will put on youtube soon as...

Did a Euro trip last year and this year in my Rex, last year:

Glasgow - London - Portsmouth - Santander - Gijon - A Coruna - Santiago de Compestela - Portugal - Pamplona - Millau - Gap - Montreaux - Cologne - Amsterdam - Newcastle - Glasgow, phew B) 3.5k miles 16 days :teeth:

This Year:

Glasgow - Bath - Plymouth - Santander - Lekeito - Ainsa- Barcelona - Fontvielle - Le Gorge du Verdun (simply the best road in Europe) - Monaco - Lake Como (Menagio) - Livogno - Stelvio Pass - Charavines - Le Mont Dor - Saumur - Houlgate (Normandy) - Caen - Portsmouth - London - Glasgow :teeth::sweat: 3950 miles 21 days.

Have also been to Bordeaux for a holiday 1.5k Miles in 2007 and Le Mans in 2008 and 2009, again about 1.5k round trip, all in the Rex B).

Here's some piccies

I hope the 370Z I'm about to pick up on 1st Sep is as comfortable