Halfords paint match (NOT!!)

evilscorp

I didn't mean to sound rude or under estimate your work man ship dude. All I meant to say is you can't blend paint work properly without product designed for the job i.e blending laqure etc...

I wish you all the best with the correct colour and positive step you take but I honestly feel your wasteing time and cash. Let's be honest we spend more than £6.99 on polish and larger every week lol.. Maybe you should have touched it up with laqure until you had the funds for the correct repair method. Another quick point, please dont use chipsaway or small mobile compaines because we rectifiy more work from then than home diy jobs lol...

Good luck mate, prove me wrong and I'll pay for you paint :thumbs:

Alex

yeh you have to get them to come out to you car with testers or it will be way off, got the new paint and it looks good, just waiting for the rain to stop :boat: before i start blending it in, wont know how good a colour match till i start doing the laquar.

best paint for this kind of work is from paints4u.com

best colour matches i've come across with the best spraying nozzles; and good quality paint. another tip is not to just mask the area and spray the area as you'll end up with a ridge where the paint sits on top of the old paint. use a piece of card with a hole cut out of it rougly the same size as the damaged area. hold it about 3 inches above where your spraying and spray through it (keeping the can about 20-30 cm away from the card) this will help to feather the paint. and aid with the blending.

same technique with the laquer. and the primer.

make sure you use the right primer for the colour, primer will change the end colour; i think GM is meant to have a white primer but i might be wrong and it could be a grey.

you'll never get it as good as a body shop but it should help. i'd also recommend doing some test cards with different primers and paint on top. make sure you get the best finish.

maybe it was the persons fault rather than halfords, i got some new bmw colour with metal flakes and an under tint made up on a sunday as everywhere was closed. came out spot on and the guy making it up was testing it and asking if it was the right colour.

Dont you give them your reg details and they check on their putter

paint match number is on a plate under the bonnet. You give them that and the computer tells them the right mix. I did this for the parking sensors and you cant tell the diffrence between the original paint n the new stuff!

Might have been just a crap mix job by you halfords fella?

Unfortunately the final colour/shade of the paint also depends on how its sprayed, IE pressure, heavy or mist coat, there are so many variables with paint that unless you really know what your doing, its only ever going to be a luck of the draw job.

Blending is VERY difficult to do properly, i have been spraying off and on for twenty odd years (not professionally) and i still **** it up, blending is also very dependant on using heavily thinned lacquer, or even straight thinners, take it to a professional ;)

One last bit of advice, preparation of the area is everything, it cam make or ruin the job.

Have to agree with that, ordered Azure (Electric Blue) from paints4u.com and did these parking sensor heads today. Took their advice and used plastic primer, electric blue and laquer, have to say I'm quite pleased witht he results.

G

best paint for this kind of work is from paints4u.com

best colour matches i've come across with the best spraying nozzles; and good quality paint. another tip is not to just mask the area and spray the area as you'll end up with a ridge where the paint sits on top of the old paint. use a piece of card with a hole cut out of it rougly the same size as the damaged area. hold it about 3 inches above where your spraying and spray through it (keeping the can about 20-30 cm away from the card) this will help to feather the paint. and aid with the blending.

same technique with the laquer. and the primer.

make sure you use the right primer for the colour, primer will change the end colour; i think GM is meant to have a white primer but i might be wrong and it could be a grey.

you'll never get it as good as a body shop but it should help. i'd also recommend doing some test cards with different primers and paint on top. make sure you get the best finish.

it was a dark grey primer underneath, so used a grey primer, unfortunatly i used masking tape but bought a good cutting/blending compound which was very good, but wasnt 100% satisfyed so have sanded it down again and resprayed after each spray i reduced the masking area so it would have less of a line and paint build up to help blend it in. will take a photo 2moz after i blend again and before i use laq. But thanks for the tip about the hole cut card will be trying this for the laq spray.

it was a dark grey primer underneath, so used a grey primer, unfortunatly i used masking tape but bought a good cutting/blending compound which was very good, but wasnt 100% satisfyed so have sanded it down again and resprayed after each spray i reduced the masking area so it would have less of a line and paint build up to help blend it in. will take a photo 2moz after i blend again and before i use laq. But thanks for the tip about the hole cut card will be trying this for the laq spray.

You CANNOT! rub down metallic/pearlecent colours between coats, it will fook it up big time, you spray two to three coats to get the desired shade, you can run a tack cloth over it only and then apply the lacquer.

The area you are masking is way too small. Your always going to get some harsh joins with such a small area as shown by your first efforts. You need to open up the area you are spraying but also do it much more graduated in layers to blend it out a bit.

All that said its still VERY hard to get it so you can't see it. It will probably be good for a temporary fix but you will want to get it done properly before selling otherwise people will wonder what other bits have been done on the cheap

'Well i told you so' is probably what you are all thinking and yes spray painting with halfords paint on that kind of area is never going to work, after numerous attempts i decided to use the laqure to see if there would be much colour change, No is the answer, they paint im using might aswell be black when wanting white, totally different, and needs a pro paint shop to mix and blend in paint using airbrushes not a shi'y airisol paint can. Will post the pic up later to give you all a good :lol: at least the laqure matches :blush: have to wait 2weeks? :dry: before i blend in the laq line(thats what it says on the tin).

Well at least it stops the car rusting until i save some cash for it to get properly done.

In the back of my mind im wondering, if i should wait till i get my bodykit before my respray or if I should change colour completely as ive always wanted a black car. B)

Anyway thanks all for puting up with my deluded thoughts for the past week or two, should have just listened, atleast i learned somthing.......I sux at painting lol

painting by rattle can is a pain and has taken ne a long time to learn. and even now i refuse to do large areas with them. i did a body kit a while back and i got it spot on but it was a pig of a job, so much so that on the zed i just took it straight down to a body shop.

here is my last piece of spray work:

it started off as just some eyebrows and a TTE rear inserts for the number plate. and then moved on to a Full original TRD body kit i got cheap as it was all crash damaged, i repaired it all my self and then painted and fitted it.

painting6.jpg

Relaquered.jpg

eyebrows1.jpg

PICT0590.jpg

PICT0627.jpg

PICT0628.jpg

PICT0629.jpg

PICT0631.jpg

Front3.jpg

Rear1.jpg