rusty!

nickzzz

has anyone else noticed much rust underneath their z????

Mines a uk model with only 31k but seems quite rusty in places.

Worst bit is near the back, i've got a japspeed k1 on car so this area might be hidden by backbox on most cars. It seems to be part of the chassis.

I'm sure its just surface rust but i don't like it!!

Was just wanting anyones opinions/similar experience.

I'm considering blasting the rust off and waxoyling it but have heard conflicting opinions on this :shrug::shrug:

• 7 months later...

Worst bit is near the back, i've got a japspeed k1 on car so this area might be hidden by backbox on most cars. It seems to be part of the chassis.

I'm considering blasting the rust off and waxoyling it but have heard conflicting opinions on this :shrug::shrug:

I took my car to Santa Pod to get my Toyosport exhaust system fitted. When they had the car on the ramp, I noticed the same thing. My car has done 44k miles so it's not far from your mileage. Maybe it's common?

Mine is also a UK car so it must be...

I thought UK spec'd Zed's were rust proofed?

I took my car to Santa Pod to get my Toyosport exhaust system fitted. When they had the car on the ramp, I noticed the same thing. My car has done 44k miles so it's not far from your mileage. Maybe it's common?

Mine is also a UK car so it must be...

I thought UK spec'd Zed's were rust proofed?

The surface rust you have found is usually caused by the heat radiation from the OEM backbox! :thumbs: Not noticed any on my Zed yet but have seen it loads on all my old cars! (Focus ST170, Stilo Abarth, Citroen AXGT, etc...)I'd imagine it'll be fine as I've never heard of it causing problems! :teeth:

I noticed the same thing on mine. When i looked under the back i was shocked at how rusty some bits looked, esp for a car which had done 20k miles odd. In fact it looked rustier than my 175k mile old work hack i drive. So, sounds like its all "normal" !

I have a JDM 2003 Zed and it has no noticable corrosion underneath at all and above the rear silencer box is rust free.... I would do your best to clean it off then treat with Jenolite followed by wax oil. Can't see its too much to worry about though just annoying once you find it!!

• 1 month later...

I ended up cleaning surface rust off underneath then got the car up on a lift and gave it a good coating of waxoyl. Even sprayed in all the drain holes underneath (without blocking them!)

Feel much better now, hopefully no more rust!

Would recommend waxoyling for peace of mind! I did the wheel arches as well just as a preventative, there wasn't any rust there but had bad experiences with previous cars so thought I'd sort it asap!

I do have a stonechip between front wing and bumper which is bubbling a tiny bit, need to get it sorted although its not got any worse in the year I've had it!

The rust underneath is worrying but seemed to be superficial (I think!) Hopefully cured now!