Help! - Career ideas.......

Jak

I finished University last year with a 2:1 in Marketing and have been working in the motor trade for my Dad's business since then. During Uni I worked all of my holidays in two different companies - so have a reasonable amount of office experience for someone in my position......

Anyway - working for the family business was only ever a temporary arrangement as it would be nice to try and make my own way in the world, and whilst there is no immediate rush I would like to start exploring different avenues that may be available to me.

Trouble is I now have what can only be described as a total mind block about what it is I would like to do!! Obviously something marketing orientated would be good, and something within the motoring world would be even better as I have grown up surrounded by cars and have a keen interest – Though I would certainly not rule out other industries!

I quite like the idea of a PR based role, maybe even something to do with events as I’d like to think I am quite personable – especially in a professional environment, for some reason it’s just easier, have no idea why!!

So what I’m asking is if any of you have any advice, ideas of avenues I could explore or even know of any companies that may be worth popping a CV into I would be very grateful!

Thanks

Jak

P.S. I don’t think I’m in any danger posting this on a forum but if anyone see’s a reason I possibly shouldn’t have please let me know!! :surrender:

what about being a pimp? the hours are good, you meet lots of people, its very profitable and you'll always have a nice girl on your arm.

failing that; are there any magazines based around marketing, as a designer/engineer, there were several publications you could get that A. gave out info on the latest developments and B. had career and job sections in the back.

could try dropping your CV's in to the HR departments of any UK based automotive company, they all have marketing departments.

also have a look on some of the job hunting websites, you can choose your specific area of interest and it might give you an idea of whats out there at the moment.

what about being a pimp? the hours are good, you meet lots of people, its very profitable and you'll always have a nice girl on your arm.

Sounds interesting, where do i sign? lol

failing that; are there any magazines based around marketing, as a designer/engineer, there were several publications you could get that A. gave out info on the latest developments and B. had career and job sections in the back.

could try dropping your CV's in to the HR departments of any UK based automotive company, they all have marketing departments.

also have a look on some of the job hunting websites, you can choose your specific area of interest and it might give you an idea of whats out there at the moment.

Yeah there are a couple of Magazines available, so would be a good idea to get a couple and see whats around :thumbs:

Am just updating my CV at the moment, and is my plan to do just that once ready - so great minds think alikeon that one!

Have already had a quick scout around some of the Job websites - are there some better than others though, as there seems to be loads!

Jak

Since when have prostitutes been nice girls...? They always look rough in my eyes!! Especially when you cross the German border into Czech Republic :scare::scare::scare:

Don't just send them a file with your CV on though, think outside of the box and get yourself noticed: You're going into marketing/PR after all. Make the covering letter look like a rip-off of an advert from the firm you're applying for, i.e. for BMW you'd make it dark and moody and make a play on the words 'Efficient Dynamics' or 'Ultimate Driving Machine' (Ultimate Driving Marketer? I dunno, I've never worked in marketing as you can probably tell!). Or send it in etched into an old brake disc or something, just make it different.

you could win the lottery and not work

or help me market my genius facebook group idea

i call it

"who wants to make me a millionaire"

the aim is to get 1 million people in the group to donate a pound each to me. as you have more experience in marketing you may be able to help, and i am sure we could come to an arrangement on fees.

Since when have prostitutes been nice girls...? They always look rough in my eyes!! Especially when you cross the German border into Czech Republic :scare::scare::scare:

since when you work the high class market and things are in the 1000's per hour, not 10 quid :lol:

Yeah there are a couple of Magazines available, so would be a good idea to get a couple and see whats around :thumbs:

Am just updating my CV at the moment, and is my plan to do just that once ready - so great minds think alike on that one!

Have already had a quick scout around some of the Job websites - are there some better than others though, as there seems to be loads!

Jak

i've always used engineering or design specific job search sights. carpet bombing is the best technique. just upload your CV to all of them

also if you wanted to run your own business there is a website for small companies for sale. you could buy your own and run it. some are franchises others are complete businesses.

my guess is if your interested in the automotive industry and you want marketing, then maybe check out the websites of the main companies. most will probably have a vacancies section listing current jobs on offer as well.

Just got an email from Just The Tonic (comedy club) in Nottingham:

Hello

We are going to advertise this more officially elsewhere, but thought we would let out regulars have a bit of prior knowledge:

FULL TIME MARKETING AND SALES JOB Just the Tonic Comedy Club is one of the most respected comedy clubs in the country. We have been based in Nottingham for 16 years. We are about to launch a full time comedy club in The Cornerhouse in Nottingham and will be putting on comedy 4 or more nights a week. We are looking for someone that can take the Just the Tonic night and get more people in. We will be based in a very central location, we have a very strong reputation within the city and we have an incredibly strong line up of shows:

http://www.justthetonic.com/index.php?i ... id_club=46

What we require is someone that can help us spread the word, sell a load of tickets to the right kind of people and to help Just the Tonic grow in Nottingham and the Midlands, whilst retaining it’s standards of excellence. What you have to market and sell will be a quality product in a prime location offering the best comedy line ups, a broad range of drinks, quality food all presented within a newly refurbished venue. It will be a unique product, unmatched in the UK If you think you can help do this and would like to earn some decent money doing it, please get in touch. If you think you will do this by putting up more posters and flyers, then don’t get in touch, we have people to do that. This is far bigger and a far better job Money will be negotiable depending on experience etc Please send CV's and letters about yourself to darrellmartin@mac.com Don't just reply to this email or you will be failing at the first hurdle.

Thanks Darrell and Joe

Sounds okay - don't know if location is any good for you, and it's not exactly motorsport related...

You work in marketing and your under a family business - you could be sitting on your answer. Could you not give it your all and start drumming up some serious interest for your family business with your marketing skills? Especially since your family business is in a hobby of yours (cars)! If my family had a solid yet small car business I'd be trying to drum up trade left, right and centre trying to get bigger and better. Especially after knowing that customer service is often number 1 priority for most customers.

This is how you become a millionaire entrepreneur - though its not as easy as it sounds. Seriously, you could be looking away from a place your standing on that could offer you a lot in return. Plus your family wins as well - have you spoken to your parents about it?

If things didn't go to plan on a grand scale and you worked hard, when you go to a bigger employer and said you managed to return £££ profit for family business due to your marketing skills a lot of people would be impressed (supply examples of your work too).

It'll take a LOT of hard work, but at the end of the day you reap most of the rewards unlike when your in a bigger company. It could take years, but who knows...in 5+ years you could be driving the latest Ferrari / Lambo into your mansion. :#1:

Just a thought...

Don't just send them a file with your CV on though, think outside of the box and get yourself noticed: You're going into marketing/PR after all. Make the covering letter look like a rip-off of an advert from the firm you're applying for, i.e. for BMW you'd make it dark and moody and make a play on the words 'Efficient Dynamics' or 'Ultimate Driving Machine' (Ultimate Driving Marketer? I dunno, I've never worked in marketing as you can probably tell!). Or send it in etched into an old brake disc or something, just make it different.

Good call Ekona - I have to admit i have thought about doing something like that - but can never decide if it would make me look good or like a bit of a pr**k - Simply because if you do something like that think it'd be very easy to accidently convey arrogance over everything else - which i dont feel is attractive to an employer! Though i will certainly ponder on it :thumbs:

I plan to personally drop in my C.V.'s whenever possible too in order to try and make an impression there and then.

you could win the lottery and not work

or help me market my genius facebook group idea

i call it

"who wants to make me a millionaire"

the aim is to get 1 million people in the group to donate a pound each to me. as you have more experience in marketing you may be able to help, and i am sure we could come to an arrangement on fees.

:lol: if all else fails mate i'll drop you a pm!

i've always used engineering or design specific job search sights. carpet bombing is the best technique. just upload your CV to all of them

also if you wanted to run your own business there is a website for small companies for sale. you could buy your own and run it. some are franchises others are complete businesses.

my guess is if your interested in the automotive industry and you want marketing, then maybe check out the websites of the main companies. most will probably have a vacancies section listing current jobs on offer as well.

Cheers Rich - I have already started on the individual websites - Will be preparing my application for Nissan within the next few days!

where do you live. if you say the midlands see if you can guess my next reply.

I live near MK, are Jaguar hiring then? Any Info?

Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote

Just got an email from Just The Tonic (comedy club) in Nottingham:

Hello

We are going to advertise this more officially elsewhere, but thought we would let out regulars have a bit of prior knowledge:

FULL TIME MARKETING AND SALES JOB Just the Tonic Comedy Club is one of the most respected comedy clubs in the country. We have been based in Nottingham for 16 years. We are about to launch a full time comedy club in The Cornerhouse in Nottingham and will be putting on comedy 4 or more nights a week. We are looking for someone that can take the Just the Tonic night and get more people in. We will be based in a very central location, we have a very strong reputation within the city and we have an incredibly strong line up of shows:

http://www.justthetonic.com/index.php?i ... id_club=46

What we require is someone that can help us spread the word, sell a load of tickets to the right kind of people and to help Just the Tonic grow in Nottingham and the Midlands, whilst retaining it’s standards of excellence. What you have to market and sell will be a quality product in a prime location offering the best comedy line ups, a broad range of drinks, quality food all presented within a newly refurbished venue. It will be a unique product, unmatched in the UK If you think you can help do this and would like to earn some decent money doing it, please get in touch. If you think you will do this by putting up more posters and flyers, then don’t get in touch, we have people to do that. This is far bigger and a far better job Money will be negotiable depending on experience etc Please send CV's and letters about yourself to darrellmartin@mac.com Don't just reply to this email or you will be failing at the first hurdle.

Thanks Darrell and Joe

Sounds okay - don't know if location is any good for you, and it's not exactly motorsport related...

Thanks mate, locations a bit out of the way - sounds an interesting project though, although not sure how long it'd last once you had got the numbers up, i guess you'd have to move on!

You work in marketing and your under a family business - you could be sitting on your answer. Could you not give it your all and start drumming up some serious interest for your family business with your marketing skills? Especially since your family business is in a hobby of yours (cars)! If my family had a solid yet small car business I'd be trying to drum up trade left, right and centre trying to get bigger and better. Especially after knowing that customer service is often number 1 priority for most customers.

This is how you become a millionaire entrepreneur - though its not as easy as it sounds. Seriously, you could be looking away from a place your standing on that could offer you a lot in return. Plus your family wins as well - have you spoken to your parents about it?

If things didn't go to plan on a grand scale and you worked hard, when you go to a bigger employer and said you managed to return £££ profit for family business due to your marketing skills a lot of people would be impressed (supply examples of your work too).

It'll take a LOT of hard work, but at the end of the day you reap most of the rewards unlike when your in a bigger company. It could take years, but who knows...in 5+ years you could be driving the latest Ferrari / Lambo into your mansion.

I know what you mean mate - and it has crossed my mind, but we are a small business and if we took on anymore work we'd have to expand first! I'm not saying it couldn't happen but there are other obstacles that would have to be addressed first.....

Thanks for the advice so far, keep 'em comin folks!

Jak :thumbs:

My ex-girlfriend studied Marketing at University and since finishing has been working for different Car Insurance companies managing their Internet Campaigns ...

It's not the most exciting job in the world according to her, but it's quite good for opportunites etc as a lot of companies now spend a large portition of their Marketing budget on Internet sales etc ..

Maybe something to consider ...

:thumbs: