The age old sponge vs washmitt debate

Biggy

So, what do people on here prefer and give you reasons why.

Personally I use a zymol sponge, the reason for this is that every time I dunk the mitt into the bucket to clean it I bring it back out and check to see if there's any dirt on the sponge before putting it in the shampoo bucket, I believe that a wash mitt hides alot of the dirt and sometimes you can see exactly what's on it.

Peoples views on this?

The thing is as soon as a sponge makes contact the dirt has nowhere to go being a flat surface, and stays between the surface and the paint. Rinsing after is too late.

With a mitt, being big and fluffy(mmmmm) the dirty has somewhere to go away from the paint, hopefully no swirls.

But hey thats just MHO :teeth:

I tried your clay procedure btw, just seem to have a problem getting it off the wheel, and also have creepy images of Patrick Swayze ;)

Bradders.

I believe that a wash mitt hides alot of the dirt and sometimes you can see exactly what's on it.

Peoples views on this?

I think thats the point. It hides the dirt deep down in the pile, keeping it away from the paint surface.

I wouldn't let a sponge touch my car now...Lambswool for me everytime.

Since I've been using the lambswool mitt I have found the results far superior to that of a sponge..........it maybe because the sponges I used to use were cheap Halfords sponges but I certainly wouldn't use anything but a mitt in the future!!!

well when heavenly detail, did my focus, he used a sponge then, and told me to get a sponge as well :lol:

never heard of them, but then detailers are only really known in their own circles. the zed forum isn't one they move in. envy are and recommend lambs wool, as do several others

there is a debate? i thought it was the law??

washmit :#1:

sponge :thumbdown:

As said alot of people either use fancy sponges or sea foam sponges. I personnaly use the WOOKIE! its like washing your car with a cat. My brother perfers the megs lambswool.

I see what you saying but I use the 2BM and have grit guards. I wipe the mit along the guard when dunking thefore loosening any debrais on the mitt. The grit guard sits about 10cms high so all things just go to the bottom. I get grit at the bottom of the bucket if i empty them out slowly so I just assume it works.

there is a debate? i thought it was the law??

washmit :#1:

sponge :thumbdown:

As said alot of people either use fancy sponges or sea foam sponges. I personnaly use the WOOKIE! its like washing your car with a cat. My brother perfers the megs lambswool.

It might be but getting the cat on your hand like a mitt is a right bastard!!! Bloody thing wouldn't shut up!!