GO Z GO!!!

mighty Z

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would an older Evo be slower than a new one?

Older model I mean - there've been five generations of EVO since the IV you were playing with. They've come a long way since then ;)

No I disagree the evo 4 is lighter than the newer evo's so if anything is faster than the newer models and on top of that they usaully have more performance mods because of there age.

My bro's evo 4 will produce 380bhp at 1.6bar of boost using a smaller turbo than the fq 400[less lagg]it hits full boost at 3200 instead of 4k[fq400]so is faster than a standard fq400 when running full boost.

haa ha! Whaen was that as I think it's probably older than me.....:p

That was taken in 1979 T reg 260z ,

Older than me by a whole 4 years! Still looks good today. I love the chunky tyres with the white lettering.

Are those wheels wolf races? I remember my dad telling me that in the olden days *sorry* that there waere only a handful of aftermarket wheels available!

yep there the ones Wolfrace wheels ..I seem to think they were the only aftermarket rims you could get at that time :) I couldnt leave things standard even then....!

No I disagree the evo 4 is lighter than the newer evo's so if anything is faster than the newer models and on top of that they usaully have more performance mods because of there age.

My bro's evo 4 will produce 380bhp at 1.6bar of boost using a smaller turbo than the fq 400[less lagg]it hits full boost at 3200 instead of 4k[fq400]so is faster than a standard fq400 when running full boost.

Odd that Mitsi aren't still rallying the 4's then eh ;)

I take your point about mods and weight although it's only around 50kg, and the later 6 speed gearbox has closer ratios. If you have a look at the MLR mods table sorted by BHP, you'll need to get somewhere around page four before a 4 makes an appearance (these are dyno confirmed results, not just 'I run x so must have x bhp).

Now, while a smaller turbo spins up faster and thus reduces lag, it doesn't follow that the car will be faster at full boost - it only means that the boost comes on sooner, so you have less chance of messing things up and being caught off boost. In fact, smaller turbos typically will run out of puff as revs increase - they just can't pump enough air into the cylinders. The bigger turbo in the FQ400 will spin up later but will provide more air at those revs, and keep providing it at higher revs.

I think the FQ400's 0-60 time is around 3.5secs - I suspect you can count the number of Z's that'll do that on one hand. There are probably EVO

IV's that can do that, but they're going to be pretty heavily modded.

Iam sorry but the evo rally car is completly different from the road car about a few hundred thousand pounds different and if you watched top gear you would have seen the fq 340 go round the track a fraction of a second slower than the fq 400 the only place a 2 litre car is fast with a big laggy turbo is the drag strip.

If you had read my first thread properly you would have seen my bro was only running a bar and not the 1.6 bar needed to produce 380bhp and a sub 4 0-60.

Its no good just repeating information you have read if you dont know what the **** your on about.

Iam sorry but the evo rally car is completly different from the road car about a few hundred thousand pounds different and if you watched top gear you would have seen the fq 340 go round the track a fraction of a second slower than the fq 400 the only place a 2 litre car is fast with a big laggy turbo is the drag strip.

If you had read my first thread properly you would have seen my bro was only running a bar and not the 1.6 bar needed to produce 380bhp and a sub 4 0-60.

Its no good just repeating information you have read if you dont know what the **** your on about.

Easy tiger :surrender:

Yeah exactly..... Calm down mate, (Where's my big scouse emoticon, the one with the big wig and tash!, crap Liam must have took it on hols)....

Remember mighty Z that forums like these are all about opinions etc and sometimes the way people write a post and the way it comes across doesn't always exactly what they are trying to say.

So please don't get too offended if someone disagrees...... ;)

Precisely! Can't you hold a reasonable and civil discussion without frothing at the mouth?

I did read your first post, and I know your brother was running lower boost. What does this have to do with the comments I made? How are they inaccurate? Why have they upset you so much?

If you just want to blag, maybe you should save it for your mates in the pub. If you post in a public forum, expect some discussion - it's the whole point of the forum after all.

In terms of knowing what I'm on about, I have a 350Z and a twin turbo VR4 which shares much of it's running gear with an EVO VI. I'm a member of the Lancer Register (EVO forum). The mild modding/tuning to the VR4 has all been done by me & myself, so I suspect I've got an inkling of knowledge -it's not just something I've read. It's not comprehensive, and I don't know it all - which is why I like to discuss things on these public forums!.

So that's all I'll be saying in this thread -I'm not interested in a slanging match. Mods, appologies if I've upset anyone (let me know if I have) - I don't think I've said anything outrageous or provocative... :boxing:

Precisely! Can't you hold a reasonable and civil discussion without frothing at the mouth?

I did read your first post, and I know your brother was running lower boost. What does this have to do with the comments I made? How are they inaccurate? Why have they upset you so much?

If you just want to blag, maybe you should save it for your mates in the pub. If you post in a public forum, expect some discussion - it's the whole point of the forum after all.

In terms of knowing what I'm on about, I have a 350Z and a twin turbo VR4 which shares much of it's running gear with an EVO VI. I'm a member of the Lancer Register (EVO forum). The mild modding/tuning to the VR4 has all been done by me & myself, so I suspect I've got an inkling of knowledge -it's not just something I've read. It's not comprehensive, and I don't know it all - which is why I like to discuss things on these public forums!.

So that's all I'll be saying in this thread -I'm not interested in a slanging match. Mods, appologies if I've upset anyone (let me know if I have) - I don't think I've said anything outrageous or provocative... :boxing:

Over-tired..... ;)

Agree on the FQ 400 piece, a 340 can be equally as swift.

As for the age of Evo's and their speed, it's not so much just about power, there's torque and traction to take into account, both of which have imrpoved massively, as has the delivery of the power. Either way, they're as quick as hell.

And I agree on the calming down. Everyone has an opinion, that's what makes the world interesting! :thumbs:

We're just one big happy family! :group:

Me and you are gonna get on like a house on fire ;):D

What end up as smouldering rubble??? ;)

changed tack on speeding have we Sarnie?? :)

Nah mate I was just laughing at his response to you, if you read the quote I replied to. :lol:

Ha ha, I know where you're coming from Tim!!!!!

Nah mate I was just laughing at his response to you, if you read the quote I replied to. :lol:

I never once said I agreed with any of Mighty Z's posts, just laughed when he asked Tim if he wet the bed :lol:

I never once said I agreed with any of Mighty Z's posts, just laughed when he asked Tim if he wet the bed :lol:

Dont wet the bed , more often wet my pants reading some of the boll*cks on here :teeth:

Dont wet the bed , more often wet my pants reading some of the boll*cks on here :teeth:

Good innit :lol:

Good innit :lol:

sometimes ;)

I am not frothing at the mouth Iam just speaking my mind Iam sorry if my comments came across as being offensive/abrasive in text it's probobly not how I would have said it.

From your first post I could see in which direction you where going stating obvious facts abouts evo's like your educating us all.

You where also implying that my brothers evo 4 would be slower than a newer evo which would be true if they were both standard and the new evo was nt a fq260.

But from my first post you can see that my bro's evo 4 has been modified and even running that boost with the mods he has would be comparable to a fq300.

The reason I say you dont know what your on about is on your comments on the fq 400 it is common knowlage in the evo community that the fq 400 turbo is too big and laggy and that it's better to have a smaller turbo like fq340 and fq360.

Iam not claiming my Z does 0-60 in 3.9 seconds my Z could nt beat my bro's evo to sixty which is nowhere near that,I doubt he even gave it a clutch breaking 7k launch.

Iam not upset with you or anyone on this forum I enjoy a bit of banter and Iam sorry if I come across that way in text.

Lomoto I did'nt mean to cause offence It just seemed a funny thing to say at the time.

I still think most of us are chavs because we cant afford real sports cars :)

Lomoto I did'nt mean to cause offence It just seemed a funny thing to say at the time.

I still think most of us are chavs because we cant afford real sports cars :)

:scare: I think with that one quote you've just upset 100% of all the forum members on here. do you mean that the 350z isnt a real sports car????

or is that a misinterpratation of what you have said?