MOT Results.... A little advice!?

CFC109

Bloody MOT's

A Nissan garage carried out my MOT and Service today and their is quite a bit of work that needs doing, so i have taken it away to have a think about it, i actually have a few weeks before the MOT runs out, but want to get it sorted ASAP obviously. So, a few questions....

(Car is pretty much exactly 5 years old)

Im a technical idiot, this is just what thewy have put on the forms....

1) It failed on "Front brake pads less than 1.5mm thick" (95% worn) They want to charge £151.59 (Inc of Labour & VAT) - reasonable, or go elsewhere?

2) It failed on "(Back Box) Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases" (Exhaust rear silencer). They want to charge £436.66 - reasonable, or go elsewhere?

3) It failed on "Nearside Rear tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm". They want to charge £166 per tyre (Avon). (Offside rear is near to legal limit, so would replace both (current tyres are bridgestones)

Also they have recommendations...

4) Front brake discs worn to minimum thickness. They want to charge £432.21. - reasonable? Get it done or wait?

5) Rear brake pads 90% worn. They want to charge £183.62 - reasonable? Get it done or wait?

6) Front tyre worn to 2mm. They want to charge £120. Wait?

7) Steering alignment (this does need doing (4 wheel)). They want to charge £70.50. Sounds expensive? Get it done elsewhere?

8) Spark plugs due at 54,000 miles or 5 years. They want to charge £160.32. Correct? Reasonable or elsewhere?

9)Engine drive belt cracking. £108 (he said this wasnt urgent)

10) Rear wiper blad split. £15.27. It seems fine to me, its waiting!

So any advice? Any suggestions on anywhere that woul;d be cheaper? A national alternative company or a local garage?

(If anyone does know any specifics for a good garage, im in Leeds!)

Hope someone can help, as i need to get it done ASAP!

Cheers!

seriously mate, ask traders on here to sort ouy out with parts and then go to an non nissan garage to have them fitted. Nissan will more than likely say that if they do the work for you they wont charge for MOT but it will work out hundreds cheaper to just go elsewhere and they pay for the MOT to be retaken.

Bloody MOT's

A Nissan garage carried out my MOT and Service today and their is quite a bit of work that needs doing, so i have taken it away to have a think about it, i actually have a few weeks before the MOT runs out, but want to get it sorted ASAP obviously. So, a few questions....

(Car is pretty much exactly 5 years old)

Im a technical idiot, this is just what thewy have put on the forms....

1) It failed on "Front brake pads less than 1.5mm thick" (95% worn) They want to charge £151.59 (Inc of Labour & VAT) - reasonable, or go elsewhere? Traders on here supply better for less.

2) It failed on "(Back Box) Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases" (Exhaust rear silencer). They want to charge £436.66 - reasonable, or go elsewhere? Common fault, it usually goes at the joint. Either get an aftermatket or its about £20 to weld.

3) It failed on "Nearside Rear tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm". They want to charge £166 per tyre (Avon). (Offside rear is near to legal limit, so would replace both (current tyres are bridgestones) Traders on here bud.

4) Front brake discs worn to minimum thickness. They want to charge £432.21. - reasonable? Get it done or wait? Second hand discs on here.

5) Rear brake pads 90% worn. They want to charge £183.62 - reasonable? Get it done or wait? As above

6) Front tyre worn to 2mm. They want to charge £120. Wait? Your only contact with the raod in a powerfuul RWD car, your shout.

7) Steering alignment (this does need doing (4 wheel)). They want to charge £70.50. Sounds expensive? Get it done elsewhere? Sounds a little expensive.

8) Spark plugs due at 54,000 miles or 5 years. They want to charge £160.32. Correct? Reasonable or elsewhere? Get Denso Irridiums from a trader.

9)Engine drive belt cracking. £108 (he said this wasnt urgent) Traders again.

10) Rear wiper blad split. £15.27. It seems fine to me, its waiting!

So any advice? Any suggestions on anywhere that woul;d be cheaper? A national alternative company or a local garage?

(If anyone does know any specifics for a good garage, im in Leeds!)

Hope someone can help, as i need to get it done ASAP!

Cheers!

Nissan charge £236 to change a headlight bulb as they are told to take the wing off. :scare:

OK, the early signs are good. Go elsewhere! :teeth:

Obviously i need to act fairly quickly though, is a national chain going to be just as bad, or do i need a local garage? (i dont know of any relaiable, local, as i am in a company car so never have to worry about it! doh!)

*I love the way there are always so many quick responses on here, no matter what time!* - cheers!

1) take it to a garage you can trust

2) buy brake parts from traders on here

4) ditto spark plugs

3) retain same tyre manufacturer/type on all four wheels ......... do not mix

4) treat yourself to a shiny stainless steel exhaust

5) get four wheel laser alignment before you put new tyres on

...oh and just one other quick question as well, is it likely that the things they have flagged will alll be, errr, true!!? - Possibly a daft question, but i wouldnt know enough to question anything!

where you based?

1) not bad but at that price not decent ones

2) normal price for OEM replacement, there are used ones around that are still in good nick if you want to stay OEM

3) tick with bridgestones if thats what are on the other corners, try and change in pairs esp on the rear. bridgestones can be had for less... falkens are a worthy replacement.

4) do if you can, esp if you changing the pads

5) get them done

6) go for new all round if you can

7) if you want even wear get it done, will drive better too. sounds pricy

8) bout right, get them done

9) most belts are cracked, they still have life in the belt, if most owners checked on a car that has done 20k on a belt they will see cracks in the rubber, but the fabric section is still intact. caused by heat and cold... get it done though

10) just get rid of the rear wiper and use rain-x!!

If your darn sarf then abbey should be able to sort all for you!

Get the parts from Alex or another trader and drive to one of the garages that are on here, isnt RS Tuning based in Leeds? It will save you money and the job will be done a whole lot better with a garage that deals with Zeds frequently. Just because its Nissan doesnt mean they know about the Zed ;)

I don't think RS do anything other than tuning, damn shame as I'd love a really decent garage that has experience with the zed!

I've used Burley Hill in hte past for clyuthc and brake issues and they seemed pretty decent and pretty cheap. Other than that there's Tdi in Warrington?

Get the parts from Alex or another trader and drive to one of the garages that are on here, isnt RS Tuning based in Leeds? It will save you money and the job will be done a whole lot better with a garage that deals with Zeds frequently. Just because its Nissan doesnt mean they know about the Zed

That became very clear, very quickly!!! :thumbdown:

I have used KNM Motors in the past at Morley- http://www.knm-motors.co.uk for odd bits and pieces and got my brake discs skimmed there.

They are part of the good garage scheme and have decent reviews.

Google good garage scheme.

Its a family run garage with lots of new equipment all the guys I've dealt with seem like decent chaps and so does the owner.

They probably don't have much experience of sports cars or Zeds but everything you have mentioned in your list are simple tasks generally speaking, there is no major surgery so any decent garage will be able to do the work at a fraction of the price over Nissan.

or there is always the option of DIY.

Thanks, last two replies really useful.

My girlfriend used to take her Saxo to KNM and always had a good experience.

Im working from home tomorrow, so will do a bit of rinign roung, or might pop in. Cheers

A Local garage (i have used for other cars before) have carried out some of the work for me now. Saved some money with some repairs. Not sure ive done the right thing, but it brakes better, drives better and sounds a little better / healthier, so it cant be too bad! :-)

(Costs include VAT and labour)

1) Front brake pads replaced at a cost of £123.38, instead of Nissans quote of £151.59

2) Exhaust back box repaired at a cost of £176.25, instead of Nissans quote of £436.66 to replace.

3) Rear Tyres replaced at a cost of £177 each (Hankooks), instead of Nissans quote of £166 each (dont worry about telling me the pro's and cons of tyres - ive seen the thread on it - i would never have known!!)

4) Front brake discs skimmed at a cost of £117.50 instead of Nissans quote of £432.21 to replace

7) 4-wheel Steering alignement at acost of £64.63, instead of Nissans quote of £70.50

So obviously gfot some get-me-by repairs instead of replacements but saved some much needed cash.

They also changed the spoiler while it was in, but that seems over priced, so more info on that to follow tomorrow with pictures