Checked my custom exhaust DB levels...

andlid

Got this in the post

IMAG0310.jpg

wanted to see what db level my exhaust is... since I'm planning on tracking I wanted to make sure they'd not ban me :blush:

Below is when just started cold (1600rpm)

IMAG0311.jpg

Below is when warm (500-600rpm)

IMAG0313.jpg

Below is @ 4500 rpm

:evil:

IMAG0314.jpg

And this is all out! (7k limiter)

IMAG0315.jpg

Good that I had a nice size carpark to play in...

IMAG0319.jpg

bit loud... :drunk:

System: Full dual exhaust (not true dual as someone pointed out) 2.5" from the two HFC's Berks ending up with two Magnaflow, that I think I need replacing now :blush: Intake panel filter followed by a Kinetix SSV Velocity Manifold/Plenum.

Completely wrong measuring, I'm afraid ;) You need to be measuring from 0.5m away at 45degrees.

:doh: better get back at it so :lol:

(never seen the guys do it that way on a trackday (bikes) though... almost stick it into the exhaust they do...

I worked with a Porsche team and on track days there they actually put the device in the exhaust. Could be completely different equipment that's designed to be used differnetly, but it's the only experience I have!

How loud/quiet is a standard UK exhaust system?

I worked with a Porsche team and on track days there they actually put the device in the exhaust. Could be completely different equipment that's designed to be used differnetly, but it's the only experience I have!

How loud/quiet is a standard UK exhaust system?

I know the ones you're talking about the yhave a little metal stick that hangs inside the exhaust?

No idea what to compare these values with really... need a standard exhaust... not sure nissan would like me reving one of theirs to the limiter :D

The metal arm is so that the tester puts the meter in the right place, isn't it? When the end of the arm is touching the inside of the exhaust tip then the meter is 0.5m away and should be at a 45-deg. angle?

That makes sense

The metal arm is so that the tester puts the meter in the right place, isn't it? When the end of the arm is touching the inside of the exhaust tip then the meter is 0.5m away and should be at a 45-deg. angle?

Correct. You can use anything though, tape measure, bit of wood, whatever is laying around really.

:teeth: right, went out and did another test.

Hope it's for the judges liking ;)

Distance correct

SNV35383.JPG

Angle

SNV35384.JPG

More pics

SNV35386.JPG

SNV35387.JPG

Cold

SNV35385.JPG

90.5db

Warmed up

SNV35388.JPG

76.5db

Holding @ 4.5k

SNV35391.JPG

Full on

SNV35393.JPG

:dance: So thats a bit different, happy with that!

My poor wall!

SNV35395.JPG

Some vids:

@4.5k

@7k

:evil:

Oooh, so close...

Look at where you're measuring, right by a wall: That's going to reflect the sound and give a false reading. Also the tape is going to rattle around as well if it's touching the exhaust, possibly making excess noises as well (quieter than the exhaust certainly, but of a different frequency that it could make a difference). Go and park in the road or in an open industrial estate of something, hold the sound meter and tape measure in your hand and try again. Unless you're silly tall or silly short, then that will be close enough to 45deg and is how every single trackday company I've ever been with does it too.

I'll check on the track day Friday..... neighbours hate me a it is :-)

What bit? The echo makes a huge difference, I've tried it myself to prove it. Also what settings are you using on the meter? Needs to be A and Fast if my memory serves correctly.

Well obviously don't do it near your neighbours! Take it to a local industrial park, no-one will give a damn then.

Looking at those figures though you'll be a mile under, so no worries there.