The 200SX has now gone, what next ?

DavidS14

I had owned my S14 since 98' but the tin worm finally got the best of it and it was sold to a guy who works in a body shop and will get it back on the road :clap:

As a stop gap I bought a run around and would have started looking for a replacement for the 200 but decided it would be a better idea to crush two fingers at

work (multiple fractures/lacerations). So whilst my fingers sort themselves out I'm going to do the background reading etc.. into what to look at once I can go test

driving. I've been saving for a while so have a bit to spend but don't really want to spend too much as it's probably just going to be a weekend/summer car and I

might keep the run around for commuting/winter.

I've obviously thought of a 350 but I've been looking at what else interests me and I've been trying to come up with a list, so far I have

350Z (maybe a 370z)

Monaro/VXR8

BMW E46 M3/ Z4

Porche 911 / Caymen S

Audi TT

My general guidelines are, probably less than 5 years old, mainly looking at coupe's (doesn't have to be practical but needs to be OK for longish journeys if required) and

up to ~£25K. If I spend less that I can always use some of the money for mods/upgrades.

Anything else I should be looking at ?

I switched to a 350Z last year from an S14a... As you say they're needing a lot of TLC now.

Biggest difference is the extra 300 kg of weight, but it's much better built and quieter on the motorway. If your tall the seat doesn't go as low or far back but I'm 6ft 2in and can do 2-3 hours commuting a day no problem.

Expect 5 mpg less so you may well want to keep the run-around! The 350Z still has a few faults (elec windows, CV joints, stereo) but they're easy to identify and nothing like as bad as an S14 (intercooler, fuel pump, heater fan, dash lights, sticking calipers, turbo gaskets, susp bushes, etc...)

350s hold their value well so it's a good choice as a second car. I too looked for alternatives but gave up :surrender:

With the exception of the monaro the others on your list are very common onour roads. The porsches will be better build quality and materials BUT the servicing costs are rediculous.

You know you want a Zed, and with upto £25,000 you could even get an early 370 :thumbs:

The porsches will be better build quality and materials BUT the servicing costs are rediculous.

I wouldn't call £360/£540 (996) or £460/£610 (Cayman) ridiculous tbh.

My personal choice would be a Cayman S or M3 CS, or the Vette if you fancy something really different.

TT???????????? :bangin:

Never driven one but the facelift ones look OK so I thought I'd stick it on the list :blush: .

Thanks for the replies so far, a garage I know has a yellow GT3 that I love, although I have the money to buy it I couldn't justify it really

and I'd be sooooo paranoid about parking/leaving it anywhere. A mate has an RS4 which I liked driving but they are still a bit pricey for

the newer ones.

Thanks for the replies so far, a garage I know has a yellow GT3 that I love

996.1? You have to buy that if you can! It'll wee all over every other car on your list in terms of performance and fun, and will hold its value much better too.

I aggree with Sarnie :thumbs: the TT has no business on that list and even the Z4 unless its the Z4M :thumbs:

Any car on that list will be a good choice and the the Noble GTO should be considered, so should a well sorted R34 and Lotus exige S2 :thumbs:

I will to test drive all if possible before making a choice ;)

But for at 13-15K a UK GT 2006 Z will leave you with 10-12K to play with....................... 400-450WHP Vortech SC'd with forged internals anyone :teeth:

I'd seriously be thinking about the Monaro man. Value for money is almost second to none!... I was after one last year before I bought my 350z but they were still a little out my price range back then.

The M3 would also be on my list along with a Z4M. If you fancy a bit of practicality then get yourself an Evo :).

Haven't you thought about a Skyline R34 GTR? I'm sure if you look hard enough you will get a very good one for around £25k!