Shell V-Power (Optimax)

Derek_ZR

Dropped in on way home from work to fill up with Optimax, funnily enough they had run out of both NUL and Diesel and only had Optimax left....

As I was filling with £60 :yawn: I noticed the pump sticker said V-Power and the advertising on the totem pole had also changed.

Reading the Shell website tonight, it looks like a replacement for Optimax and has a 99 RON rating....

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?sit ... _2308.html

---

SHELL UK launches Shell V-Power – providing its customers with ‘Ferrari fuel for the road’.

23/08/2006

Shell UK today launches its latest generation of performance unleaded fuel - Shell V-Power.

Available across the UK, new Shell V-Power builds on the highly successful Shell Optimax premium fuel brand launched in 2001.

The same Shell international scientists who develop the Ferrari Formula 1 racing fuels have created a unique fuel blend that is designed to get more power and responsiveness from your vehicle.

Instrumental to Shell V-Power’s development has been the working relationship forged between Shell and Ferrari over the last 50 years across the Grand Prix circuits of the world. The Ferrari Formula 1 car provides Shell scientists with a unique cutting-edge mobile laboratory enabling fuels to be developed and tested under the most severe conditions, benefiting from instant feedback and analysis. Findings are fed back into Shell’s road fuel development programmes.

The result: a fuel for customers who understand that not all fuels are the same.

Shell V-Power contains Shell's unique Friction Modification Technology (FMT) as used by the Formula 1 Ferrari team in their 2006 racing fuels. This is designed to help the engine turn more freely and improve performance.

Shell V-Power has an octane rating of 99 RON, designed to provide more power and improved responsiveness in many modern cars.

Shell V-Power contains a powerful cleaning formula designed to improve engine responsiveness by removing power-robbing deposits, helping the fuel to burn more effectively.

John Rasmussen, UK Retail Director said, “This is a proud day for Shell Retail. Shell V-Power allows our customers to fill-up with a performance fuel derived directly from our Formula 1 technical partnership with Ferrariâ€

yeah just received this email too:

Shell V-Power fuel replaces Shell Optimax

Shell V-Power is the new and improved fuel which replaces Shell Optimax today. The high octane quality, combined with its optimised formulation, are designed to provide improved performance in many modern cars.

Shell V-Power contains Shells unique FMT (Friction Modification Technology) which is designed to reduce friction inside your engine, helping the car run more efficiently. This is the same FMT that is used by the Formula One Ferrari team in their 2006 racing fuels.

Combined with an Octane Rating of 99 RON* and high detergency to help protect your car against harmful deposits, Shell V-Power can help you get more performance and responsiveness from your engine.

So why not try new Shell V-Power next time you fill-up? Or find out more at www.shell.com/pluspoints.

* Research Octane Number

yeah just received this email too:

Shell V-Power fuel replaces Shell Optimax

Shell V-Power is the new and improved fuel which replaces Shell Optimax today. The high octane quality, combined with its optimised formulation, are designed to provide improved performance in many modern cars.

Shell V-Power contains Shells unique FMT (Friction Modification Technology) which is designed to reduce friction inside your engine, helping the car run more efficiently. This is the same FMT that is used by the Formula One Ferrari team in their 2006 racing fuels.

Combined with an Octane Rating of 99 RON* and high detergency to help protect your car against harmful deposits, Shell V-Power can help you get more performance and responsiveness from your engine.

So why not try new Shell V-Power next time you fill-up? Or find out more at www.shell.com/pluspoints.

* Research Octane Number

I saw you filling up with 95 RON anyway Val :yuck:;):p

There's a possibility that they have bumped the price up as the difference in Optimax and NUL was always 6ppl round here. Now it is 7ppl with NUL at 92.9ppl and V-Power at 99.9ppl.

Unless they put the price up 1ppl because they had run out of NUL and Diesel :D

I take it Sainsburys Super will be crap ? I take it, it will be 97RON ?

Only 94.9ppl :D

Well its still falls within the the specification of Super unleaded (has to be over 97 RON to do so)..... so it can't be that bad. And is definitely better than sticking 95 RON in! !

But probably not going to perform as well as Shell or Tesco..... (BP ultimate has been proven to be crap!)

Ive read that Shell high octane fuel has always been known as V-Power in europe - and it ranges between 97-100 RON. Wein the UK are just getting a name change (plus no doubt a price hike along with the rebrand).

Think Ill stick to the Tesco 99 for now though.

Ive read that Shell high octane fuel has always been known as V-Power in europe - and it ranges between 97-100 RON. Wein the UK are just getting a name change (plus no doubt a price hike along with the rebrand).

Think Ill stick to the Tesco 99 for now though.

V-Power has a higher octane rating than Optimax - fact!

I believe it was going to be called Optimax plus but then decided to coincide with Europe :)

I filled up with v power today was 7p a litre more than 95ron here.

Is it worth putting it in?Does the ecu make use of the better qaulity fuel I know most jap cars do or are they just set up for 95ron?

Mighty Z,

You don't HAVE to use superunleaded (above 97 RON) but its is recommended. The ECU does compensate....... you loose 15PS if you use unleaded......

The official Nissan response is here:

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=35237#35237

Is it worth putting it in?Does the ecu make use of the better qaulity fuel I know most jap cars do or are they just set up for 95ron?

The higher octane fuel is less prone to "knock" the common name for spontaneous combustion of the fuel/air charge. To combat knock the ECU retards (delays) the spark amongst other things to reduce cylinder pressure resulting in reduced power. A "knock sensor" on the engine tells the ECU if this situation is occuring. With higher octane fuel the ECU can advance the timing further before the onset of "knock" occurs. :yawn:

I honestly believe I can feel the diference but saying that, as another thread on here indicated, there can be 17bhp difference in engine power between a hot and a cold day due to the density of the air getting to the engine.

:tumbleweed:

I'll get my coat...

I hear that BP have just launched a 102 octane that they are calling Ultimate 102. Apparently, on tests conducted with a Porsche 996 GT3, power went up by 25 bhp and when the ECU was remapped to run specifically on 102 octane it went up by 48 bhp. Mind you at £2.40 per litre, it ought to be good. :wacko:

Guest prescience

Further to the above, on the power stroke, the spark always occurs some number of degrees (advance) Before Top Dead Centre (BTDC) (as the piston is still rising) to ensure that peak cylinder pressure occurs a given number of degrees After TDC (whilst the piston is falling) to maximise torque on the downstroke.

As stated, with low octane fuel (which has less resistance to detonation) this peak cylinder pressure can be too high and unwanted combustion takes place causing detonation.

Thus the timing is retarded a few degrees, meaning that the spark still occurs BTDC but just by a lesser amount and hence the peak cylinder pressure both occurs later ATDC and is lower, reducing or removing the effect.

There is some evidence that rather than being linear as is implied, the ECU operates 3 maps (normal, advance and retarded) where normal and advance may be the same and the retarded map is used when knock is detected. I don't know for sure that this is the case (teddyonholiday please) but it would explain why would be no power increase to be had from using a higher (than 98) octane fuel, say BP102 (since the advance could not be increased from the optimum dialled in for 98).

Of course with a piggyback or parallel EMS such as the UTEC (Ok I'll plug it!) you have control over timing and could have a super-advanced Map dialled in which could be selected by a switch, assuming you could afford the higher octance fuel in the first place

My coats already on ..............